SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:52 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2010
100 Posts
Thanks. The rack is mounted to a furniture dolly so it rolls around. The 2x2s the shelving brackets are attached too are held by wing nuts to the dolly so the base can come off too.
rsobel is offline Find More Posts by rsobel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:51 AM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Hi Guys,
As you see I am not actively writing on forums, Time it is always short for me, I have a big family (wife +yes 3 boys!) and very busy at work. But I am a very passion guy like you are, I LOVE model airplanes as well all do here at HH. I am writing here on my extra time, write on forums it is not my job!, I am here because I am passion for what I do. Well the VisionAire it is a good symbol of that passion. I am here to see if I can help, support and perhaps answer some questions. I real want you to enjoy this plane so you can fulfill your dreams. Believe me if you fulfill your dreams you would be full filling mines/PKZ!.
Few comments on VisionAire/AR635. I see a little bit of confusion.
The 635 on the VisionAire it is default to 3D computer TX. So if you have a 6i, 7s, DX8, 10T, DX18, DX18QQ or JR like 9503, 12 X etc you only need to bind and you are ready to go.
If you are flying a 4e or 5e you will have to set the RX to non computer TX 3D group. It is explained on the VisionAire manual. Then bind and ready to go.
The reason we have the two groups for computer and non computer TX is because these TX has different max servo travel. So to take maximum advantage of control surface throw we create these two groups. Non computer servo travel of 100% and computer servo travel 125% . The RX it is tuned around these max rates. So it is very important to keep the servo travel at those values.
This RX is capable of a third mode that we call sport. This mode group all radios ,gear and flaps. Ideal for all non 3D airplane.
The 635 can cover all the basic needs of a sport flyer and support from sport planes, war planes, 3D planes.

How do I you use Channel 5 and D/r switch?......Let me explain and also allow me some recommendations.

Rate
RX has preset rates for roll, pitch and yaw. There is two groups of rates. Channel five would switch these two groups. So position 0 group has a established rate for roll, yaw and pitch. Position 1 group has as well an established rate for roll, pitch and yaw. So channel 5 control the rate. Position 0 is general flight (low rate) and position 1 is 3D flight (high rate). So Channel 5 is your dual rate switch.
We mention in the manual and you also you’ll see when you download my program from our sites, values for dual rate. So you can use the dual rate switch to have a "sub-rate" for channel 5 position 1 or position 0.
The rates and expo are set on the RX and should be close to your taste. If you want to fine tune your rates you can do that from the TX D/R menu (never from servo travel). It is important to set and not move servo travel at 125%. So for your first flights set D/R and expo % provided in the manual. Then you should be in good shape. For 4e and 5e after bind you have to do nothing. But use the channel 5 and D/R switches as I just described.

Gain
Channel 5 also group two set of gains. Each set contains the 3 axis and each axis can have their own gain. Gains can be adjusted from 0%/off to 100%/max. So channel 5 position 0 has one group with gain value for roll, pitch and roll. Position 1 has the other group with also gain for roll, pitch and yaw. These values has been already preset and you have to do nothing. It is tune to the closest possibly allowing manufacturing/weather tolerance (read below oscillation)
So when you are in General Flight mode channel five position 0, gains are set to low values. If I remember right values were, roll 40%, pitch 20% and yaw 30%. While for 3D roll is 80%, pitch 80% and yaw 90%.
So when you fly slow (3D) you want the highest gain to increase stability (higher AS3X). When you fly fast general flight you need less as the plane it is already flying faster and the airspeed would provide that stability. Keep this in mind when you start playing with gains. Also read below oscillation/first flights to understand why you want low gains and high gains.

Oscillation
If you go to VisionAire manual at the end, you can see the list of reason and how to prevent oscillation. The gain provided from factory are what we consider the best possible for best flying feel at general or 3D mode (including manufacturing and weather tolerance). If you experience oscillation in any of the modes, take a look to the manual. It is under troubleshooting list. It is well explained what to do if you experience oscillation.

First flights
First of all , set your TX to the rates and Expo we recommend in the manual. Then I strongly recommend for your very first flight, to take off in general flight mode(channel 5 position 0)and all D/R switches set to high rate. Fly the airplane at various speed,. Get the feel. It should feel very good. If all feel good reduce your airspeed half and then switch channel 5 to 3D mode. (position 1). The plane will still feel docile. Next observe the airplane if you see oscillation. Then put the airplane into the wind and open the throttle up to 3/4 throttle and you should notice very small or no oscillation. I can see some airplanes would not oscillate and other will do, this is due to small manufacturing tolerance. Like prop balance, spinner balance, prop shaft straight, linkage, servo gear, etc, etc.....weather is also a factor...perhaps you will find that some days you can run higher gains than others...this is de to wing speed difference, or gust, or altitude above sea level, humidity, etc.
So bottom line is that your VisionAire has been tuned to give you the most AS3X, the best feel at all airspeed and allow you to fly in 3D mode (channel 5 position 1) at airspeed up to 75% of its top speed. The good news is that AS3X it is totally adjustable and you can fine tune your airframe/RX if you wish.

Tips
Computer TX set servo travel to 125%
All trim and sub-trims to zero (this is a must)
D/R and Expo values set as manual
Very well balance prop only!
Stay inside ¾ top airspeed when you fly in 3D mode (channel 5 pos 1).
When you do 3D aerobatic (slow flight) fly with Channel 5 position 1. Do not try to 3D with channel 5 switch on position 0 (general flight)
When you fly general flight (fast flying) fly switch position 0. Do not try fast/precision flying with channel 5 switch on position 1 (3D flight)
To start leave D/R switches at high rates. Experiment and then use them.

Last comment......I hope I have not put you guys on a sleep after this long post!.

There is nothing to tune to fly this airplane, it is ready to go. Take a second look to the manual and /or follow the above recommendations.

The plane it is a blast, I have a lot of fun......it is a true ideal first 3D plane but at same time it is an unlimited bird and will do whatever you ask for.
The VisionAire would not do the whole maneuver for you but would make your life easier giving you time to focus so you can do the key command inputs. The plane and AS3X would be behind you supporting you and doing tons of small "invisibles" corrections, reducing your work load. Your will see right away that your flying skill move up and the fun goes up!

Thanks.

Quique Somenzini
Horizon Hobby
Quique Somenzini is offline Find More Posts by Quique Somenzini
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:09 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,250 Posts
Absolutely fantastic to see you here Quique. Many thanks for taking the time to post this information.

I am fairly new to RC and wanting to get more into 3D. I am going to order a Visionaire for this exact purpose. I can't wait for the weather to use it!
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:16 AM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
349 Posts
great info
bladeguy5 is offline Find More Posts by bladeguy5
Last edited by bladeguy5; Jan 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:20 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
649 Posts
Thanks QQ! I think you've sold me on it!
wayfaringdreamer is online now Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:32 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quique, great information. Thanks for the useful tips!
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:53 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for posting Quique! I'll get one eventually... It looks like a lot of fun!

Now if you'd just give us a 280 or park size Beast you would truly fulfill our dreams!!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:50 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quique,

Great info! It's nice to see you on here, sharing your passion for the hobby with us. Thanks for taking the time to post!

EDIT: Oh, and I agree with Turnerm & Marlin. The UMX Beast is my favorite UM of all so far. I'd love a scale version that's somewhere between the Beast 3D & the 100cc version!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 22, 2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:12 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Thank you Quique for taking the time come on the forum and help us understand how best to get into flying this new plane. I can't wait for the LHS here to get the first one in, this is a MUST HAVE for me, and every time I see a new video or hear another new owner come on here raving about how much fun they have with it, I am more and more sold.

Having great support from folks like yourself both in the forums and within the Horizon Hobby customer support program, and of course at my local HH partner hobby shop, just seals the deal for me.

Great job on all the planes you design, and thanks for listening to us and incorporating EVERYTHING I wanted to see in a PZ 3D plane into the new Visionaire.

Marlin

EDIT: Have to second Turnerm's comment, I would LOVE, aboslutely LOVE, a PZ sized Beast. The micro Beast is my favourite plane and I absolutely REFUSE to buy the obvious rip off of the patent from the other company which is the exact size I want ... you HAVE to do up an official BEAST in the 40-44 inch size, include this new AS3X Rx and just ship it directly to my house ... guaranteed hit I am sure.
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Last edited by Fish99; Jan 22, 2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: 2nd for Turnerm
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:13 PM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
Just got mine in the mail today! Hopefully I'll get to fly her at lunch this week.
javabeans is offline Find More Posts by javabeans
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:44 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2010
100 Posts
Thanks Quique, and I'll add another vote for the park flyer sized Beast. I wish he had addressed the battery placement issue. I do not have a real CG tool, so am relying on my UNreliable finger method. The manual says battery in middle of the compartment, but at that point the forward most strap doesn't barely come onto the battery. It seems like the battery should go all the way forward against the stop in the nose, and then the strap fits better. Can some one who can check CG with something more precise check on this for me?
rsobel is offline Find More Posts by rsobel
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:46 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quique Somenzini View Post
Hi Guys,
As you see I am not actively writing on forums, Time it is always short for me, I ...
Quique Somenzini
Horizon Hobby
Thank you QQ. I have been following your videos since Statos, which was my first plane. So in essence, you taught me to fly and I am most grateful. Sense then, I have six more planes. The Visionaire looks like perfect next plane and am anxious to try out the new ASX rx. Thank you much. Keep up the great work and take care.

BTW - Just got the Phenox flight sim also other day. I would love to see some QQ interactive instruction in there. Also hope the VisionAire is added soon. Who I gotta call to make this happen? :-)
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:57 PM
United States, IA, Fort Madison
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
thanks so much for all this information. what would be the reason on the first flight to use D/R switches to high rate ?
pasantia is online now Find More Posts by pasantia
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:14 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Another vote for a park size Beast here as well. I also think that the UMX Beast is simply awesome, and only you could have pulled it off. But now, slap that AR635 in a bigger Beast (or other biplane of your choice) and tweak it for us until it's ready to manufacture, and you will make many happy hobbyist!!!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:17 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
Quique, thanks for your posting and your time and yes, we all have fun in flying "Horizon" planes
I'm advanced in aerobatics and 3D and I have to commit- also beginner planes like the Firebird Stratos makes fun for advanced pilots !
The Visionaire is on my list....if no Beast in 280 size will come and spring will be there, I have to buy, maybe
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count