HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:05 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
After watching ChuckTSeeker's videos, I think I want to move to Australia!

Hot women, oilcans of Foster's, and some great flying. My kind of country.
I concur...
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:19 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,090 Posts
Does anyone else wish the AS3X was like the HPI Drift Box? That way you could choose how much the AS3X helps you. Start out with 100% to learn how to preform some of the harder tricks then have the option to lower how much it helps so you get better at flying.

I know its unrealistic but I can still wish...
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Busy Life
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:29 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
You can manually set the gain for whatever you want.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:37 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,090 Posts
Well in that case...
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Busy Life
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:41 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
Does anyone else wish the AS3X was like the HPI Drift Box? That way you could choose how much the AS3X helps you. Start out with 100% to learn how to preform some of the harder tricks then have the option to lower how much it helps so you get better at flying.

I know its unrealistic but I can still wish...
But with the AR635, you DO have the capability to do this. You don't have to wish. You can set up two sets of gains on a switch, and you can adjust the gain independently on each axis, including zero gain (off).
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:19 PM
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Dec 2000
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
But with the AR635, you DO have the capability to do this. You don't have to wish. You can set up two sets of gains on a switch, and you can adjust the gain independently on each axis, including zero gain (off).
Dave and ChuckT,

Any chance on uploading the DX8 Preset for the VisionAire? Would avoid a lot of mistakes and/or omissions.

Bob
bobandris is offline Find More Posts by bobandris
Last edited by bobandris; Jan 20, 2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:59 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Dave,

Is there a means of obtaining full throw in both modes?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Dec 2007
175 Posts
Presets for DX 18

Are there presets for the Visionaire on the DX 18 that can be downloaded? I see none on the Spektrum Community web site.
tourist_603 is offline Find More Posts by tourist_603
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:57 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Dave,

Joel
+1 on this question. I was wondering the same thing...
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:21 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Dave,

Joel
I don't know. Will have to ask Quique tomorrow.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:45 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,428 Posts
Quote:
Dave,

Joel
Joel the summer heat might be getting to me, but! why would you want full throws in general? if you want "Full Throws" just flick the switch to 3D! i thought the idea of the general position was to have a position where the pilot if not that good at 3D could fly the plane and still have a lot of fun knowing that he will not get any surprises when he clicks the switch.

really it seem like there is 4 D/R Expo selections now instead of the usual 2! So why do you want to have full rates on general? what would you then use the 3D setting for?

as said it might just be the heat here but i can't see why Please explain

oh just about to head out to the chicken farm runway to fly my Yak and VisionAire and threw the Radian Pro in for some thermal hunting from under the shade of the trees when the temp gets too hot

lives good

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@chucktseeker

I can't speak for Joel, but I personally want to set the AR635 for ZERO gains in one of the flight modes and use the flight mode as an on/off for the gyro, BUT I want to be able to dial in more than 20% throw for elevator and 30% throw for rudder (as per manual) in that flight mode.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:19 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,951 Posts
Chuck,

Mugen nailed it. I also have an app for the rx in a plane with a 10-80 MPH speed envelope. If the plane ends up needing separate high & low speed gain profiles, I'd like them to have identical throws.

BTW - great maiden video! You flew her well! What do you think the wind speed was during the flight?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 20, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:28 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,667 Posts
I just ordered from Horizon on Ebay....... should be here by Friday. Nice. Chuck... your videos sold me. I hope HH sends you a nice royalty check.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:32 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2010
10 Posts
Ok so I just spent the afternoon with my new VisionAire. I brought 10 batteries, since I thought I may fly my Blade 450X, and my T-28. I never made it to the others.

After 10 batts through the VisionAire, all I can say is WOW!

I have to second everything that Chuck has been saying. You need to beg, borrow or steal to get this airplane. It is that good.

1st batt, 9 knots of wind. I left it in non 3D, 70% rates. This plane acted very much like my T-28. Easy flying, easy turns, smooth landings. Good all around general airplane. Lots of comfortable fun.

2nd batt. Turned it up to 100% rates. Turned on the AS3X. Took off and went into a perfect hover. For 90 seconds! I am no 3D expert. My experience is mostly with the Sbach 342 3D. I have a bit of a time getting that one to hover. The VisionAire just hung there, in sweet balance, like the aircraft knew that I wanted to hover and it just did it. Just little inputs and it hovered divinely in front of me.

3rd - 10th. Oh boy. Waterfalls, harriers, and 360 rudder turns. I am by no means a 3D expert, but this plane just knew what I wanted to do. Everything came off close to flawless. I even performed harrier tail touches to landing. This plane makes average Joe's like me feel like a 3D guru.

A few things I noticed. If you come from the Sbach 342 micro, this is one acts like a super giant sized version of that plane. It's a ton easier to see. It can be tamed down or let loose and can float easily. But if you don't have any 3d experience at all, this is more than likely not the plane to learn on. It's big and can potentially cause some damage. Get an Sbach or similar plane, fly it a bit, and you will be good to go.

I also think it likes a lighter battery, a bigger 3S (from my 450X) gave it more weight and it seemed a tad different. Also check the spinner attachment screw. Mine came loose and made the prop assembly wobble a bit. Easy fix but worth checking before each flight.

All I can say is what a plane! Thank you Quique and Horizon.
Turkee is offline Find More Posts by Turkee
Last edited by Turkee; Jan 20, 2013 at 09:54 PM.