HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:57 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
No matter what, they were stupid when they cancelled this awesome airplane without replacing it with anything else, AS3X or not.
It'd be hard to call Horizon's business practices stupid. They do things for a reason. My biggest complaint with the Extra 300 was the power system chosen. A small outrunner would have been better IMO. It could have used a LITTLE BIT more power, but I agree, it was a great flying airplane.

Hopefully they're working on some new things for the future in this genre.

Quadracer - I'm not sure why you should feel cheated? The airplane you have is a great flyer.
Doug Cronkhite is online now Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:27 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
344 Posts
In stock at my LHS tomorrow

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Totem-...81105475282217
rcpaintfx is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:52 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcronkhite View Post
It'd be hard to call Horizon's business practices stupid. They do things for a reason. My biggest complaint with the Extra 300 was the power system chosen. A small outrunner would have been better IMO. It could have used a LITTLE BIT more power, but I agree, it was a great flying airplane.

Hopefully they're working on some new things for the future in this genre.
I know, I simply feel bad because it was such a nice airplane. Probably simply because it was costing too much to produce VS the sales generated.

I could hover it for a full 5 minutes with a good battery, so for me the power train was "good enough". Sure enough, when they started producing all those neat little 2S motors for their UM, I had my fingers crossed for a 1S brushless motor. Who knows.

Anyway, now, with the Visionaire, we have a very large bird for 3D that should not worry about a little wind, so it's not so bad. But I'll take a baby Visionaire, designed by QQ, with a 1S motor anytime. (Again, winter blues, so I want small indoor birds, not large ones!)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:59 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2huck View Post
I bought a ar635 for my aj 42 slick as I get nervus flyin balsa low, stuck it in and set it up with high gains to start, maidened in about 8-12mph wind, took off and straight away felt confident and started rollers about 2 meters up (low for me normally 50m up lol) then a bit of prop hang and touch the deck with the rudder and I can say it sat in hang like there was no wind, excellent! Now for the issuse I found, it has daul settings which sounds good but is deceiving, the gyro gain is adjustable in both modes (3d and general flight as they call it) so in 3d mode you set loads of gyro as the air speed is low and need to move enough to compensate, but when you start picking up the pace for say for example, a pop top, the gyros over compensate and caulse flutter and this is where the second mode comes in (general flight mode) here you set the gyros lower, problem is theres a dual rate set in this mode and is preset and unadjustable and is probably about 20-30% at a guess and on my slick which has 45+ throws ends up with 10 which is no good. I would imagion in high energy moves youd want less gain to keep the enertia going but if you do this in the 3d mode you cant have a higher gain for slow flight.

So as stated above, in 3d mode you have:

Mode 1 -3d. = full throws preset and adjustable gyro gain.
Mode 2 -general flight.= 20-30% throws preset and adjustable gyro gain.

I have yet to try the sports mode setting, and hope it allows high throws in bothe settings but suspect it wont as theyve preset these dualrates for the guy that wants to use a dx4 or dx5 and dont have the ability to set there tx for 3d , but for us with computer sets (my dx8) we're stuck with the dual rates built in.

Ill keep yous posted on my findings
Very interesting, keep us posted, I would worry about the servos being overloaded?
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:08 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
601 Posts
I have a edge 540qq, i'd much rather have a visionaire after flying it.
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:21 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
You cannot just say something like that, you have to explain why! That would be great.

Also, do you feel it's better enough to justify a $300 VS $170 difference?
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
The two could not compete in any comparison for me. They are completely different animals. There are likely things each excells at in comparison to the other. But for me, the Edge is the fly anywhere, anytime for almost nothing machine. $5 batteries that charge in 12 minutes on cheap parkzone chargers, small enough for small parks or large yards, yet still holds its own at the club field. For me, the visionaire would only fit the club fields. I'm not saying I have anything against it, might even own one, but it would have no affect on the uses of my Edge.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:35 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
877 Posts
Saw one at the LHS today so we should be getting reports soon.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:37 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Waiting and watching, too many issues with HH's releases. This is a new receiver and new servos want to see how it all settles out.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:40 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
The two could not compete in any comparison for me. They are completely different animals. There are likely things each excells at in comparison to the other. But for me, the Edge is the fly anywhere, anytime for almost nothing machine. $5 batteries that charge in 12 minutes on cheap parkzone chargers, small enough for small parks or large yards, yet still holds its own at the club field. For me, the visionaire would only fit the club fields. I'm not saying I have anything against it, might even own one, but it would have no affect on the uses of my Edge.
Hopefully they don't compare QC wise either, still waiting for servos on my edge.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:15 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Can't wait to get this plane. It's all about having fun and this is going to be a fun plane to have and fly! It seems sometimes people get too critical about how a plane is built, what equipment comes with it so on and so on. It's all about having fun. It's a hobby. If there's something you don't like about it that doesn't suit you..just don't buy it.
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:44 PM
jv8
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jan 2010
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Yes it will be very interesting to see how much of the performance is the airframe, and how much is the AS3X.
I agree with this.

I'm also interested in how the AR635 w/AS3X performs compared to the Eagle Tree Guardian 3D stabilizer.
jv8 is offline Find More Posts by jv8
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:55 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
Can't wait to get this plane. It's all about having fun and this is going to be a fun plane to have and fly! It seems sometimes people get too critical about how a plane is built, what equipment comes with it so on and so on. It's all about having fun. It's a hobby. If there's something you don't like about it that doesn't suit you..just don't buy it.
i AGREE with your WHOLE statment,,,, I AM going to get this PLANE because it is a SLOW FLYING 3d plane ,,,,i have beast ,sbach, 2 edges....total FUN,,FUN and more FUN=====..i have listen to positive and negetave COMMENTS about all of these planes....overall most issues could be corrected..i like all these planes BECAUSE of there DIFFERENT flight characteristic's=====mo fun MO fun and MO FUN
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:29 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
855 Posts
I figured this one was going to be at the top of the 3dfoamies thread by now.
So... just the airframe I am getting 169.68.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Taranis
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:28 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
How I see it....with any hobby you get so involved that you forget why you're in this hobby...you like to have fun flying model airplanes.....the fun factor gets convoluted with just having fun flying...and why you are flying...relax..fly and have fun doing it with whatever plane you are flying...
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen