HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:23 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,246 Posts
agreed, I re-watched the visionaire video and that does look docile and super stable. I'll probably get one and once I trash it, I'll put the rx in the 42" slick
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:21 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
I'm curious to see if anyone has flown this that's also flown something like a 51" Slick or something similar from EF (maybe like an MXS or something?) to see how they might compare the two.

I'd also be interested to see how the gyro interacts with you while in inverted harriers or really high alpha KE flight. I do love the AS3X on my Beast and Sbach but every so often I feel like it locks me into an orientation that I have to coax it out of... it's really most noticeable in high alpha flight at very slow speeds. Once you get used to it it's really no big deal but I just wonder if this is something unique to the micro sized planes or if it's going to be unique to everything with the gyro in it.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:23 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,418 Posts
I plan to pick up a receiver for my 48" PA Extra 260. The Extra already flies very 'big' in calm conditions & light, steady breezes. More IMAC than park-flyer. But that disappears in rough air. 9 oz/sq ft is great for aerobatics, but it's not much fun in turbulence or gusty winds. I want the plane to also fly 'big' in less-than-ideal conditions. AS3X makes the UMX Beast feel a lot like a 60-90 size plane - provided that there is sufficient airflow over the control surfaces. It aught to make a 48" park plane feel like a 1/3-scale.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 15, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:37 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
i just read how to change the gain, i'll see he'll let me turn it off next time i see him.
Yes it will be very interesting to see how much of the performance is the airframe, and how much is the AS3X.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:40 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I'm curious to see if anyone has flown this that's also flown something like a 51" Slick or something similar from EF (maybe like an MXS or something?) to see how they might compare the two.

I'd also be interested to see how the gyro interacts with you while in inverted harriers or really high alpha KE flight. I do love the AS3X on my Beast and Sbach but every so often I feel like it locks me into an orientation that I have to coax it out of... it's really most noticeable in high alpha flight at very slow speeds. Once you get used to it it's really no big deal but I just wonder if this is something unique to the micro sized planes or if it's going to be unique to everything with the gyro in it.
Well, I don't think you could compare a balsa plane to this foam plane. It looks like it flies awesome slower, but I'm not sure how good it is in high energy maneuvers. We'd have to see some videos of high energy maneuvers first.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:09 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Well, I don't think you could compare a balsa plane to this foam plane. It looks like it flies awesome slower, but I'm not sure how good it is in high energy maneuvers. We'd have to see some videos of high energy maneuvers first.
I tend to agree with you but it would still be nice to have someone do a real comparison. Because you just never know...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:19 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I tend to agree with you but it would still be nice to have someone do a real comparison. Because you just never know...
Yeah. We need some videos of this thing!
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:42 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,389 Posts
i am hoping to have one for next week for review fingers crossed and i am no 3D pilot

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:10 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
i am hoping to have one for next week for review fingers crossed and i am no 3D pilot

cheers chuck
HI Chuck......3d is EASY,,,just CLOSE your EYES,,,,,,VISULIZE,,,,,mash sticks RANDOMLEY together...up ,down and all around CLOSE to the GROUND======WOW now U R a true 3DER,,,,,your new friend ,,,,Dale
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:20 PM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
I miss the umx extra 3d. I hope you guys plan on making another indoor 3d plane. that said I'm stuck between waiting for this plane or buying the 540QQ now. Every video I've seen on the 540 besides the product video shows lots of wing rock at low speed which makes me think it will be really nice to see as3x in 3d planes (besides micros). I'm quite excited about the VA but please don't forget to replace the umx extra I can't understand why it ever went away, it was and is still the best indoor HH micro yet. please don't mention the hyper taxi either that thing is a joke compared to the cool factor of the extra
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:40 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro Budget View Post
I miss the umx extra 3d. I hope you guys plan on making another indoor 3d plane. that said I'm stuck between waiting for this plane or buying the 540QQ now. Every video I've seen on the 540 besides the product video shows lots of wing rock at low speed which makes me think it will be really nice to see as3x in 3d planes (besides micros). I'm quite excited about the VA but please don't forget to replace the umx extra I can't understand why it ever went away, it was and is still the best indoor HH micro yet. please don't mention the hyper taxi either that thing is a joke compared to the cool factor of the extra
The QQ Edge does have a little wing rock but it can be managed... you just have to stay on top of it. It's still a fantastic little airplane though. So I wouldn't let a little wing rock in harrier scare you off.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:21 AM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,417 Posts
I received an email from Quique tonight.. It sounds as though the airplane will really be a game-changer. I can't wait. It sounds as though the VisionAire is REALLY light for it's size. Wing-loading is a big deal for 3D flying.

I agree with you too.. I'd love to see an AS3X version of Seth's Extra 300 UMX
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:42 AM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
As someone who recently bought an extra 300 for $210 I feel kind of cheated
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:58 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcronkhite View Post
I agree with you too.. I'd love to see an AS3X version of Seth's Extra 300 UMX
Long before AS3X came out, Seth told me that he could improve the design of the UMX Extra 300 3D (I could not believe that, but hey, he is the pro!). Personally, I would rather see this. I don't think the UMX Extra 300 need AS3X since it's basically an indoor airplane (for me, AS3X is more a wind fighter than anything else). Though, I do fly in some indoor place where the HVAC system are bad...

No matter what, they were stupid when they cancelled this awesome airplane without replacing it with anything else, AS3X or not. (I guess sales where not as good as they should have been?) It's an incredible little airplane that can be flown in 3D in the smallest indoor venue. They have forgotten that some of us only have access to crowded single basketball court, underground garage, conference room, back of a warehouse, or something even worst.

Oh well, spring is around the corner now, only a couple of months of winter left... I must have the blues.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Nov 2012
52 Posts
I bought a ar635 for my aj 42 slick as I get nervus flyin balsa low, stuck it in and set it up with high gains to start, maidened in about 8-12mph wind, took off and straight away felt confident and started rollers about 2 meters up (low for me normally 50m up lol) then a bit of prop hang and touch the deck with the rudder and I can say it sat in hang like there was no wind, excellent! Now for the issuse I found, it has daul settings which sounds good but is deceiving, the gyro gain is adjustable in both modes (3d and general flight as they call it) so in 3d mode you set loads of gyro as the air speed is low and need to move enough to compensate, but when you start picking up the pace for say for example, a pop top, the gyros over compensate and caulse flutter and this is where the second mode comes in (general flight mode) here you set the gyros lower, problem is theres a dual rate set in this mode and is preset and unadjustable and is probably about 20-30% at a guess and on my slick which has 45+ throws ends up with 10 which is no good. I would imagion in high energy moves youd want less gain to keep the enertia going but if you do this in the 3d mode you cant have a higher gain for slow flight.

So as stated above, in 3d mode you have:

Mode 1 -3d. = full throws preset and adjustable gyro gain.
Mode 2 -general flight.= 20-30% throws preset and adjustable gyro gain.

I have yet to try the sports mode setting, and hope it allows high throws in bothe settings but suspect it wont as theyve preset these dualrates for the guy that wants to use a dx4 or dx5 and dont have the ability to set there tx for 3d , but for us with computer sets (my dx8) we're stuck with the dual rates built in.

Ill keep yous posted on my findings
born2huck is offline Find More Posts by born2huck
Last edited by born2huck; Jan 16, 2013 at 01:02 PM.