Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:35 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Joel,

It's even cooler to see what the technology enable a schlepp like me to do. I've never flown 3D, ever. After 2 packs I was harriering around. A couple more packs and I was hovering. A couple more and I was doing waterfalls and not just harriering, but accurately harriering around the field wherever I wanted to place the Visionaire. This is going to open up 3D flight for a whole group of new pilots, starting with me!
Hi Dave! How are things? Looks like you guys have been burning the midnight oil again over in the 'Skunkworks'!

So, when do we get to see the video?

My primary interest in the system is wind-handling. I have found a new pastime with the Beast 3D that I call 'wind-surfing', in which I fly stationary aerobatics & such in high winds. I get an absolute kick out of it! If you're interested, check out this clip: Eflite UMX Beast 3D on 3s - in a 26 MPH wind! Stationary KE, elevator landings, etc

I'm hoping that the AR635 rx will allow me to have fun flying larger planes in even more wind. Have any of your guys wind-surfed the VisionAire?

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:37 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,557 Posts
I'm sold on the idea that this helps with wind, and does all kinds of wonderful things. But I haven't seen the following mentioned as things it can do, and they aren't shown in the videos:
Can this plane:
- do a flat spin (upright and inverted)?
- do a knife edge spin?
- do a blender?
- do a poptop?
- do tumbles?
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
660 Posts
I flew it this morning, it will do all that was listed above, the videos do it no justice, its really nice.
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:08 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Thanks for the posts Dave, great to hear it is shipping shortly. My LHS is a partner so we will have up here North of the 49th shortly and I CAN'T WAIT to get one of these.

I get a kick out of folks who are worried that the plane will be "too easy" to fly 3D with. Guess I should toss out my PA Extra 260 and the purpose built 3D ships we all own as they are too much of an improvement over lesser sport aerobatic planes. Likewise, take off the SFG's and VG's and get rid of computer radios with expo and multiple rates / mixes as it makes it too easy, etc. LOL

Just kidding of course. To each his own, but I for one embrace technology and LOVE better flying aircraft. I do understand how people can and do derive satisfaction from aquiring the skills needed to fly older tech planes on older tech equipment, just don't share that need myself. I just want to fly a great flying plane that allows me to learn and perform 3D flying stunts in the park by our house. This looks like JUST the ticket!

Marlin
Fish99 is online now Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:08 PM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
I too want wind-proof aircraft, is why I own a stryker, put a gyro and pwr 10 in my T-28, and put a pwr 10 in my Wildcat, all of em love the wind !!!!!

Actually am a windsurfer, when blowing over 20 I am on the water !!!!

ed
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:23 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
I flew it this morning, it will do all that was listed above, the videos do it no justice, its really nice.
Excellent! I might just have to get one of these puppies.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:29 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Did you get a video of it doing all of the above?
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Mar 2005
660 Posts
i didn't, but i told the guy who had it that Horizon needs to make a new video. I too thought it was nothing special till i flew it.

The gyro makes the ailerons so precise and crisp. The tail surfaces have tons of throw. Hovers at a bit over mid stick.

I was looking at getting a 3dhs edge, but now i'm thinking of building up one of these, without the rx since i don't fly spektrum.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:36 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,950 Posts
I think the "wind proof" idea is the pretty much the only selling point for me. But given that we don't get that much wind here and this plane is very expensive, chances aren't good I'll have one, but you never know. I'll follow people reports closely.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:42 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
i didn't, but i told the guy who had it that Horizon needs to make a new video. I too thought it was nothing special till i flew it.

The gyro makes the ailerons so precise and crisp. The tail surfaces have tons of throw. Hovers at a bit over mid stick.

I was looking at getting a 3dhs edge, but now i'm thinking of building up one of these, without the rx since i don't fly spektrum.
You should have asked him for another go with the gyro's turned off if your planning one without the fancy rx. It would be interesting to hear what it's like without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
I think the "wind proof" idea is the pretty much the only selling point for me. But given that we don't get that much wind here and this plane is very expensive, chances aren't good I'll have one, but you never know. I'll follow people reports closely.
No wind where you live. Mmmm mental note to self,,, must move to San Diego
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:16 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
I want to see rolling circles (I hope Turnem get one!), lot's of KE and some KE loops. Get the videos going guys!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:21 PM
Team Horizon Hobby
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2012
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hi Dave! How are things? Looks like you guys have been burning the midnight oil again over in the 'Skunkworks'!

So, when do we get to see the video?

My primary interest in the system is wind-handling. I have found a new pastime with the Beast 3D that I call 'wind-surfing', in which I fly stationary aerobatics & such in high winds. I get an absolute kick out of it! If you're interested, check out this clip: Eflite UMX Beast 3D on 3s - in a 26 MPH wind! Stationary KE, elevator landings, etc

I'm hoping that the AR635 rx will allow me to have fun flying larger planes in even more wind. Have any of your guys wind-surfed the VisionAire?

Joel

Knowing how much you like wind surfing your going to have a blast with this plane Joel. During a day of testing over the summer I took the plane out on lunch break in wind I wouldn't have even wanted to measure. It was about 2/3 throttle in level flight at zero airspeed. Stationary rolling harriers were backing up a little at full throttle. It was a blast! I actually did not get a chance to fly the plane in totally calm conditions until about my 20th flight on the aircraft and it's even more fun then.

As for the functionality of this plane. Take my word on it or not this bird will do whatever asked. It can get just as loose as anything else I've flown with an amount of stability/reliability that I have felt with no other plane. I have yet to be surprised by it slipping out of anything or over rotating where it shouldn't.

I look forward to seeing video's of people flying this plane soon. Both Beginners and Pro's
_Colton_ is offline Find More Posts by _Colton_
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Mar 2005
660 Posts
i just read how to change the gain, i'll see he'll let me turn it off next time i see him.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:44 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
I think this is the same room at the AMA expo, 2 years go when AJ flew the 42" slick, I thought he visionaire would have been able to keep up
Andrew Jesky flies a 42" Slick indoors at the 2011 AMA Expo (3 min 32 sec)

3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:14 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,923 Posts
I think Quique's flight was more to show how incredibly stable the VisionAire is post-stall, in order to calm people's nerves about learning to fly 3D. For lack of a better word, the Slick 42" is just a different 'animal'
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite