HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:58 AM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
477 Posts
BNF Basic definately makes sense to me. The $50 difference would probably be the deciding factor for me.

If the plane wasn't so ugly, I'd probably eat the $50. As it is, I'll be wanting to wreck it beyond repair ASAP so I can move the receiver to something less embarrasing. I don't think that experience is worth $300.
mdv is online now Find More Posts by mdv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:09 PM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
BNF Basic definately makes sense to me. The $50 difference would probably be the deciding factor for me.
Just as much BNF Basic makes sense to you, it doesn't for HH.

HK can sell a 2.2Wh 3S "25C" Zippy for 9USD and make a profit. The included charger only costs a few bucks in marginal cost. IOW, offering a BNF Basic even at a mere $30 discount, would severely undermine the contribution margin. That would be the difference between a HH and a HK product. A HH product has been fine tuned by eg. QQ & reday to go, and there's support behind it. HK is much cheaper, but it's a hit and miss and usually quite some time is need, and if you have issues, you can take the boat to Hong Kong - well almost

Having said this, I don't think I can justify 280 for this one, in a 6-10 months when the deals come in - or mint 2nd hand copies - I'll have a closer look.

A 650-800mm Extra/ Edge or BEAST(!) with AS3X in a nice box would tick enough boxes for me at 250
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:23 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Joined Jan 2012
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Except park zone planes are made in the same factories that make all the other EPO planes (dynam and FMS for certain make some of them). Do you really think the mfgr is going to use entirely new equipment just for one OEM?

Of course not. EPO is EPO is EPO. Call it what you want (elapor, z-foam, yadda, yadda), but I haven't seen any EPO that wasn't high quality stuff from any manufacturer. The only thing they change is the molds.
Yes, I think you've made my point better than I could. Give it what ever name floats your boat, it still has the properties of EPO. Some EPO is better than others, I'm sure Parkzone's and Multiplex are better than FMS but its still the same basic stuff. A friend has a Multiplex Fun Cub and yes it feels a bit different than say a Dynam plane but to me it just seems like an oily, more durable EPO .

Regardless of what it is, there must be millions of guys flying EPO planes, for me I just made a decision to stay away from that type foam after watching guys bust up their expensive parkzone planes. I'm sticking to EPP and Balsa planes, UMX excluded, love those.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:32 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Joined Jan 2012
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post

If the plane wasn't so ugly, I'd probably eat the $50. As it is, I'll be wanting to wreck it beyond repair ASAP so I can move the receiver to something less embarrasing. I don't think that experience is worth $300.
Haha, yeah, your manhood might take a licking if you show up at the field with this cartoon plane while others are flying Edges, Extras, Yaks, and Slicks. Waiting for a 30 inch Beast with AS3X, I'd go apes*@t over that, the UMX beast 3D is one of my all time favorites. That size with AS3X might mean my other planes begin collecting dust.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Last edited by Bloosee; Jan 06, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:56 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
Haha, yeah, your manhood make taking a licking if you show up at the field with this cartoon plane while others are flying Edges, Extras, Yaks, and Slicks......

LOL

(Not sure whether you meant that seriously or ironically. But, either way, it's funny!)

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:35 PM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I have my doubts about this planes usefulness in teaching someone 3d. As soon as they get a real 3D plane that does not have a gryro and they have to fly it it will be like learning how to fly all over again. Looks like a fun plane and all, but I think it will teach the noob 3D flyer bad habits.

I could be wrong, but just something to think about.
Everyone seems to forget that you can turn the Gyro off. Then it flies just like any other plane. Its your choice! Thank you, Horizon Hobby!

Now please, release it in BNF Basic.....
mxz1998 is offline Find More Posts by mxz1998
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:48 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
I would want a BNF basic package also, AND a park size beast, which i have been asking for for a long time!! Anyway, can't see myself getting one of these at the current price point, will have to wait for a second hand one.
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:51 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
911 Posts
..I think it's too late for BNF Basic and the first charge is BNF (with Charger ,Lipo).
People have to wait and hope the Basic version will release later...
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:20 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,607 Posts
Nice....will be watchin this bird.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:37 AM
United States, IA, Fort Madison
Joined Jan 2009
65 Posts
is it available now?

anyplace accepting preorder?
pasantia is online now Find More Posts by pasantia
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:41 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,819 Posts
Has anyone read the manual for the AR635. Setting the gains is worse than programming an esc with your transmitter.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPMAR635-Manual_EN.pdf
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:47 PM
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Dec 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasantia View Post
anyplace accepting preorder?
The distributor isn't allowing anyone to accept any sort of pre-orders right now. As soon as it becomes available you will be able to get it here probably cheaper then anywhere else online..

you can be updated about this product on our blog
ManiacsDane is offline Find More Posts by ManiacsDane
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:13 PM
United States, IA, Fort Madison
Joined Jan 2009
65 Posts
preordered

just got done ordering from Horizon and should get it end of the month
pasantia is online now Find More Posts by pasantia
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:13 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Has anyone read the manual for the AR635. Setting the gains is worse than programming an esc with your transmitter.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPMAR635-Manual_EN.pdf
With receivers getting this advanced, a USB interface of some sort would be nice...
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:20 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
With receivers getting this advanced, a USB interface of some sort would be nice...
Just what I was thinking earlier. Maybe that's what will be needed to support twin aileron channels. I know that I'm going to wait till that's a possibility.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly