HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:03 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Given Horizon's track record don't you think October may be optimistic?

Pete
Ouch - no P-40 for you!
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:22 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Given Horizon's track record don't you think October may be optimistic?
Pete.....Pete.....Pete.....

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:38 PM
London, England
Joined Apr 2007
203 Posts
Warbirds ARE supposed to tear holes in the sky! The 1920's/30's schneider trophy was all about speed, Macchi MC 72's breaking world speed records. This is where the Supermarine spitfire has its roots. The Only purpose for any plane taking part in that event was to rip the sky a new A-hole. The UM warbirds to date have all been underpowered, even if you do keep them on the step (it's not a glider) are still lacking. Granted 2s could be overkill but who says you have to fly WOT all the time. The UM Airframes can handle the extra weight and some benefit from added weight (rather stick a bigger motor in than add dead weight) Really these companies are amazing but for what good reason do we NOT have an out the box 2s Warbird? It makes no sense.
pilatus mike is offline Find More Posts by pilatus mike
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:57 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
.......I Love the micro heavy metal warbirds....but I am really wanting to see some micro retracts on these beauties.

2S Brushless, AS3X, full house with flaps, lights and retracts....I know I know.....wait a couple years.

I still like this little warbird as I look forward to next gen micros.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Sep 2008
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilatus mike View Post
Really these companies are amazing but for what good reason do we NOT have an out the box 2s Warbird? It makes no sense.
EFlite had a 2s P40. It was a nice little plane. I had one. It had a pretty good thread here in rcgroups. Of course, it wasn't fast enough for some and they flew it on 3s. It was plenty fast for me.

It apparently didn't sell all that great because it was discontinued.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:46 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorae View Post
EFlite had a 2s P40. It was a nice little plane. I had one. It had a pretty good thread here in rcgroups. Of course, it wasn't fast enough for some and they flew it on 3s. It was plenty fast for me.

It was a licenced product of Kyosho, so the margins likely wouldn't be as good as an in house designed and built plane.

The Original micro 210 and Citabria were also licensed Kyosho planes.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:19 PM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,861 Posts
I hate brushed planes. Pass for me but thank you for the review Chuck!
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:09 AM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
420 Posts
I love that when people give their opinion they are called a "whiner" for not thinking that something could be better. There is practically a whole fleet of 1s micro warbirds with this same engine. There are no 2s ones. They are selling their top of the line 2s planes for $139.99 now. Heck there are a couple other 2s birds for $99.

Personally I don't see the point in putting a AS3X on a 1s powered plane. If the wind is strong enough to need it the little engine can't really power you through it even if the system helps you to keep it level. Flying in the wind on 1s can be enjoyable, but it is more like surfing the waves than riding over them in a boat. Again that is just my personal take on it and what I would prefer to see from them. I am sure that there are many that enjoy the Spitfire and that will enjoy this when it comes out. I just think that they are missing a market here by offering yet another 1s warbird when they don't even sell one that is 2s in the micro size.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:26 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
.......I Love the micro heavy metal warbirds....but I am really wanting to see some micro retracts on these beauties.

2S Brushless, AS3X, full house with flaps, lights and retracts....I know I know.....wait a couple years.

I still like this little warbird as I look forward to next gen micros.
Love it, but it'll probably top $200 bucks. Where I fly I can't use landing gear so my gear is always retracted so that doesn't matter. Flaps are nice, but not really important. I've hit the ground on low passes with my MiG and had no damage at all. (Unlike the couple of times I went in vertical!) That makes flaps just some more window dressing. Lights are nice, but I'm sure nobody ever used them in a war zone.

Yeah, cool but except for retracts (which I can't use) none of this is actually useful.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:30 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
Great idea for another um PZ....but folks...is it JUST my tired ole eyes?

Looking at this, and actually the spitty UM, the fit and finish and paint of this 'latest' look kinda crappy,,,,

kinda reminds of the hawker paint issues...remember that fiasco Chuck?

And yea, PZ if your listening, time to bring out UM's with brushless and 2 cell would be much better IMO

Owning the um's T28, champ, and mosquito, love them, but gonna pass on these two latest offerings....

cheers

Just Fly is offline Find More Posts by Just Fly
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:39 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Bottom line is, yeah, I'd probably like 2S on both the Spit and P-40 and even a redone P-51 but I'm quite satisfied with my Spit and sometimes when I fly (both MiG and Spit) I get a lot of comments from my club mates. Most of them fly big stuff, up to 40%. There are a couple of us flying micro and we seem to be making a dent in their thinking. For the most part that dent has been with 1S models.

I've flown my original Sukhoi in winds that had half the guys keeping their planes in the car (or trailer) and the only mod was a better prop. Some of them didn't see me launch so when I landed they came over to gawk at the "tiny" plane I was flying. So 1S is not that wimpy.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:57 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,768 Posts
what no flaps and retracts lol ,
love the look , the scheme is better then most arfs of this model P40 in the 1400mm size , great Job guys , I will but it as a P40 addict and hope they go larger someday to the 1400 size and larger !!!
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:00 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
what no flaps and retracts lol ,
love the look , the scheme is better then most arfs of this model P40 in the 1400mm size , great Job guys , I will but it as a P40 addict and hope they go larger someday to the 1400 size and larger !!!
Horizon does have a 1410 size P-40b, and its currently on sale.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:36 AM
London, England
Joined Apr 2007
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorae View Post

Thanks, I was really referring to the Ultra Micro class of plane, I think the Airium is a bit larger, along the lines of the new 540QQ. I was tempted by the Spitfire in this size but I am glad I waited because the Parkzone Spitfire with or without 2s is Great, I just think it is greater now I have converted it to 2s so do most of the people I fly with. At a cost of 22 and a couple of hours of tinkering and tea it was so worth it. If the big companies chose to make them 2s I'm sure it would cost less than the 22 I spent.
pilatus mike is offline Find More Posts by pilatus mike
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2012
85 Posts
If the centerline battery is bugging people, maybe we can rig up a centerline drop tank that would cover the battery area. Looking around, centerline drop tanks for the P-40 seem fairly common in old pics.
MileHighTakeOff is online now Find More Posts by MileHighTakeOff