HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:05 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
a micro extra 300 would be sick and I want the 4site to be reborn!!
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:50 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Thanks Chuck! Another obvious choice... looks good.

So far we have 3 planes that fought Zeros (4 if you repaint spitfire Australian), and yet no Zero's.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:17 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Thanks Chuck! Another obvious choice... looks good.

So far we have 3 planes that fought Zeros (4 if you repaint spitfire Australian), and yet no Zero's.
oooh, do I get to play?

Damn you, Parkzone...always finding ways of raiding my bank account. After that little Spitfire, I cannot possibly resist a P-40.
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:28 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Looks like a neat little plane I will be buying. It will look pretty funny hanging next to my 1400mm FMS P-40 Warhawk. All you fellas who are doing nothing but ragging on this little plane just need to settle down. If you can do better than do it! Start a plane company and take over the market. We get it, it's a brushed UM on a 150mah 1S battery with AS3X for $99.00. What do you expect? They could have made it 2S with a brushless motor but it would be more like $150. At that price they would still sell a ton but at $99, they will sell a S-ton. It's a UM and not supposed to cut holes in the sky. I'm just saying don't rag it too hard before we even get it in the air.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:03 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
726 Posts
1S/Brushed
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:14 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jun 2011
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
What do you expect? They could have made it 2S with a brushless motor but it would be more like $150. At that price they would still sell a ton but at $99, they will sell a S-ton. It's a UM and not supposed to cut holes in the sky.
A Bravo SX motor at wholesale price (they'd be buying them by the thousands) would add nothing significant to the overall cost. Instead the new as3x warbirds are being released with legacy motors from a plane that was a fraction of their weight.

It's true a UM is not meant to "cut holes in the sky", that's obviously where the UMX series fits in, and nobody on RCgroups has been whining about a warbird that won't perform like a UMX beast.
A warbird that can't climb, is underpowered/overweight simply isn't fun, and all of the calls for a Zero or similar Axis plane is leading to one of the biggest whine-fest threads ever on RCgroups if one is ever released: Planes that can't dogfight, because they're incapable.

I would not be surprised if this is the reason Axis planes haven't been released.

With the current power-train UM warbird"dogfights" would be nothing but basic circuit patterns and snap rolls, and that's about it. A very disappointing afternoon at the field
lofi is offline Find More Posts by lofi
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:05 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
I'm sure every fighter pilot in WWII wished he had more power. Both Bud Anderson and Lindbergh told about pushing the throttle past the detent into wartime emergency power and Lindbergh was flying a P-38, which could outrun anything until the Me-262.

If your dogfight is between equal planes it's still about pilot skill. I seriously doubt any of the WWII fighters on any side had anything close to the power to weight ratio of one of these models with a brushless motor on 2S.

To me the Spit looks very realistic once it gets on the step. Keeping it on the step is a matter of pilot skill. Jerking it around will slow it down. Any Red Bull pilot I've ever heard interviewed talks about maintaining energy by flying smoothly. That's what I mean when I write about being on the step.

There will be no real dogfighting until we all fly with FPV on board and record the flights including when the guns are fired. That and judging done by other than the pilots themselves.

As mentioned earlier the speed range of my Spit looks just about right when I fly it right after flying my MiG. The MiG is a good example of a plane that gets on the step. It's slow out of a hand launch but after the first dive it retains speed nicely.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:21 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,945 Posts
Another great video from Chuck...what a great job he does. Genuine enthusiasm, well spoken...seems to come at the hobby from a place where he knows what he's talking about but he's not any kind of a snob. There's no mystery why he's chosen to introduce these models.

So the P-40 looks great. I'm a huge P-40 fan and I will probably pick one up....
but I hesitate because it looks exactly like the Eflite 25 sized one I bought a couple years back (and still have), only smaller.

I'm not going to complain about the paint scheme (because it looks great) but the Flying Tiger scheme is a bit trite. How about a Burma Banshee?

I'm anxious to hear how it flies...but the "low power" of this setup is offset IMO by the cheap batteries and by the fact that I'm past the point where every plane in my fleet has to be a total hot rod. I'm really ok with scale power!
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:03 AM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,398 Posts
so i am for sure getting one now lol, the game plan. use a cc brick for brushless conversion. extend torque rods out to scale aileron position, use second servo for flaps in scale location. end result is a perfect umx p-40.
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:26 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,751 Posts
I'm in. I love the Spit, and while it's not nearly as peppy as my mustang, I can fly it enjoyably on days when the Mustang bounces up and down like crazy. I do hope it has a bit more power. Chuck, you were VERY quiet on the Spit, post release and many of us took that as a mediocre rating. I, and I think others, would appreciate your comparison of power/flight characteristics between the Spit and this P-40.

Perhaps a flight comparison in your maiden video (which I'm anxiously waiting for!). There was a picture of a well known Aussie chucking a certain P-40, so we KNOW you have flown it!!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:40 PM
Watch this!
Ireland
Joined Nov 2011
214 Posts
I will definitely be getting one of these! It is true though- we need some UM Axis fighters. Hopefully a BF-109
3DMad5 is offline Find More Posts by 3DMad5
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:42 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
765 Posts
Thanks for the great unboxing video, Chuck! I'm in for this one, too. Always loved the plane and this particular paint scheme.

Like others, I'm thinking it would be nice if it were brushless. And maybe in the future they can invent a brushless motor small enough to power these little guys. But my Lil Spit flys so beautifully (especially in some wind that would be NO fun for my other UM's) that I can't pass this one up...especially for $99.

Bring her on!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:24 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMad5 View Post
I will definitely be getting one of these! It is true though- we need some UM Axis fighters. Hopefully a BF-109
FW 190 with the much used mottled gray with yellow and the bad ass wolf on the side
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:33 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
For those of you who want 2s and brushless, why not buy a beast brick and an AP05 and just get the airframe components? I don't know how much the airframe would be, but an AP05 is right about $16 and I've seen the beast bricks WITH AS3X sell on here for about $50. I don't know if I'm just odd or what, but for where I fly the 1s and brushed motor just feel about right for the plane's size. Maybe for the P-47 I'm going to build next I'll go that power route.

Me, I'll be getting one for my dad for his birthday in October, and have fun flying my Spitfire.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:51 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron View Post
Me, I'll be getting one for my dad for his birthday in October, and have fun flying my Spitfire.
Given Horizon's track record don't you think October may be optimistic?

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug