Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:47 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,062 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone new release(s) 2013

It officially Thursday, January 3rd 2013. So I should not get in trouble for passing this info.

I got word this past evening that Parkzone is releasing TWO (2), new aircraft today. Just wanted to let folks know to watch Parkzone's website for the announcement coming shortly.

Since the info was given to me (and I don't work for them), I'm sure there was nothing "secret" about it since it's only mere hours from everyone knowing anyway (and Chuck T. Seeker actually having one in hand to review! LOL). I was however told to wait and see what I think before posting, but since I will most likely be asleep when they announce it, I thought I'd beat em to the punch.

I only really know about one of them. It's a fictional design by the legendary Quique Somenzini (so you know it's going to be awesome!). I was told it's unlike anything I've flown (so unless it's a quadcopter, I have no idea what it is!), but it's supposedly really fun and a totally cool RC flying experience. My "source" seems to think I'll really like it, so of course I'm dying to know what that would be.

The other, I believe, is a scale model but not a warbird. So you folks waiting on a new PZ warbird will have to wait a little longer. Unless of course I was blatantly lied to.

How's that for a 90% vague posting of something new?

Since my 3 yr. old daughter has turned me into what is known as a "Brony", I'm hoping for my favorite guess to be correct:
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:39 AM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,062 Posts
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ6580

Hmmmm, one of them IS a warbird!!
Last edited by Moonbeam; Jan 03, 2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:39 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,520 Posts
So, an ultra-micro P-40 and an Acromaster sized 3Der with AS3X...

Chuck's P-40 unboxing (for some reason won't display as an embedded video here):
Parkzone UM P- 40 Warhawk Un-Boxing Review (6 min 51 sec)

VisonAire:
Parkzone VisionAire BNF (1 min 38 sec)

Both look nice, but the absence of genuinely new (i.e. not just updated) 480/15 size warbirds is beginning to look like a concious strategic decision. Are they giving up the 1100mm warbirds traditionally bought by more experienced fliers to go after newcomers looking for smaller, cheaper, less easily damaged models?
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Jan 03, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:44 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,520 Posts
Deleted, posted by mistake.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Jan 03, 2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Fat fingers!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:17 AM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Both look nice, but the absence of genuinely new (i.e. not just updated) 480/15 size warbirds is beginning to look like a concious strategic decision. Are they giving up the 1100mm warbirds traditionally bought by more experienced fliers to go after newcomers looking for smaller, cheaper, less easily damaged models?
This has been an ongoing discussion with some of us at my flying field. It seems we think 50/50, in that half of us think that's exactly what they're doing: "going for entry level pilots". The rest of us think they have something up their sleeve and don't want to make their move until the plan is flawless.

Their biggest "saving grace" is parts and support. NONE, and I mean NONE of their competitors can beat them in that department. But "product" is the bigger hand of the game. They totally have the capability to do what Durafly & FMS are doing. And I sincerely believe that the buying public would have no problem paying more for the exact same kind of products Durafly & FMS put out when it has the parts and support HH offers. You can't just walk into the LHS and get parts for FMS & Durafly. That's what's kept me from pulling the trigger too fast with them.

The ONLY warbird I've seen in the past years that can challenge HH is the very newly released Flyzone 48" Corsair. You CAN go the LHS and get parts for it, and they're not expensive. It wasn't until it came out that I started to worry about HH's future in the warbird market.

FMS really screwed themselves royally by going exclusive with Banana Hobby. So really only Durafly (which lacks the parts & support that HH has), and Flyzone (which doesn't lack the parts & support), are the only "competitors" for HH.

I would love to hear other's thoughts on this topic though. That was an EXCELLENT question to bring up MattyB!!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:17 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Their biggest "saving grace" is parts and support. NONE, and I mean NONE of their competitors can beat them in that department. But "product" is the bigger hand of the game. They totally have the capability to do what Durafly & FMS are doing. And I sincerely believe that the buying public would have no problem paying more for the exact same kind of products Durafly & FMS put out when it has the parts and support HH offers. You can't just walk into the LHS and get parts for FMS & Durafly. That's what's kept me from pulling the trigger too fast with them.
Yep, I agree. I'm UK based, but even though the Durafly's are now available from the UK warehouse parts are non-existant. For very experienced fliers that may not be a deal breaker, but for most it's a significant reason to think hard about that initial purchase. Havign said that I still think HH need to cut their margins a little to stay competitive in the long run, and will need to include retracts as standard rather than as an option - they're the only ones shipping the 480/15 sized warbirds without nowadays.
Quote:
The ONLY warbird I've seen in the past years that can challenge HH is the very newly released Flyzone 48" Corsair. You CAN go the LHS and get parts for it, and they're not expensive. It wasn't until it came out that I started to worry about HH's future in the warbird market.

FMS really screwed themselves royally by going exclusive with Banana Hobby. So really only Durafly (which lacks the parts & support that HH has), and Flyzone (which doesn't lack the parts & support), are the only "competitors" for HH.
Yes, I've looked long and hard at that Corsair even though it isn't yet available in the UK from Ripmax - the gear seems robust and very scale. In the end though I will probably go with the new 1400mm P-51B from FMS as installing my sound system will be that much easier (they are distributed by CML over here, and whilst they are much more expensive than BH - ~200 for PnP 1400s - their customer service and parts availability seems better).
Quote:
I would love to hear other's thoughts on this topic though. That was an EXCELLENT question to bring up MattyB!!
Well I suppose there really is a first time for everything...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Jan 04, 2013 at 11:32 AM.