HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:10 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,411 Posts
Getting there.

The elegant solution for mounting the landing lights was simple... mount them THROUGH the leading edge of the wing! Theoretically simple anyway. How to do so without compromising structural integrity was the tricky part.

Implementation was thus:

Epoxy 1/16" backing plate to bay #4 in the wing panels.
Wrap ultralight fiberglass all the way around the leading edge of bay #4 and epoxy into place. Sand most of the epoxy off, leaving a light, strong structure.
Add 1/4" triangle stock gussets.
Drill hole centered in the leading edge of bay #4. This was done in many stages to prevent splitting the wood.
Harden the hole off by applying CA glue.
When installing permanently, I'll slide the LED into the hole from the back side of the leading edge and add a couple of drops of epoxy there to secure it forever. The leading edge will be stronger than ever.

The top center sheeting is done, the ailerons and flaps are covered. Wingtips are installed. LEDs are mocked up in their final locations.

Tomorrow I'll finish bending the control wires for the ailerons and flaps and permanently install those. After that I'll cover the bottom center section, then go ahead and complete covering the wing. The next step will be final color trimming, followed by temporary installation of the receiver and servos with battery.

Then I can weigh the completed structure to get an idea of what size motor I'll need to order!

Click to view video
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:24 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,411 Posts
Got the lights all mounted in the wings and glued into place. Looking good there.

Ran into a linkage interference problem between the ailerons and flaps though. Been beating my brains in with that issue for most of this evening. Might have found a solution and will work it further tomorrow. Had to disassemble the aileron servo mounting structure and by repositioning it I might have all the clearance needed. A real pain this time. Seriously.

Anyway, my lovely bride worked on the final color trim on the fuselage and it came out looking very nice.

Still making slow but sporadic progress.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:09 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,411 Posts
Well, I guess I figured out the linkage problem. Did a temporary installation of the flaps afterwards and it looks good. Had to reconfigure the aileron linkage but the original flap linkage design looks like it's going to work okay.

Tomorrow I'll solder the wheel collars onto the aileron piano wire to permanently affix them and then nail everything else down with epoxy/fiberglass.

I must say that I'm very pleased with how much throw I'm getting from the flaps!

Click to view video
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:15 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,411 Posts
Oh yeah! Forgot to mention that so far the all up weight is just 12 ounces. That's everything except the motor and ESC, and of course the wing covering which will be negligible.

I don't have a motor or ESC for this plane so I just hook the servos up to my Parkzone Decathlon for testing. Heh heh.

Gonna need some motor/ESC recommendations soon!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:22 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,411 Posts
Click to view video.

Old Mar 01, 2013, 12:53 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,411 Posts
I was working on the final bits in preparation for glassing the center section and realized that the wing has more flex than I'm comfortable with, most likely due to no solid trailing edge after my mods.

So today I ordered some Dave Brown carbon fiber tape and will glass that to the top and bottom of the spar to provide the stiffness needed. At least, I hope that will get the job done.

While awaiting delivery, I'll work on the fuselage. Still have to mount the servos and connect them to the control surfaces and nosewheel.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:32 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,411 Posts
As it turned out, I was out of clevises and only had one threaded connecting rod left, so hooking up the control surfaces will have to wait until after I make a trip to Hobbytown USA in a couple days.

I did get the tailfeathers glued on straight and tight. Always good. And I snipped off the trailing edge of the wing at the center so that it mates with the fuse. Will be rigging up some dowels for the front of the wing and bolt hold downs for the trailing edge this week too.

BEST OF ALL!!! I ordered this motor for the plane tonight! http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:25 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,411 Posts
Motor, props and carbon fiber tape arrived in the mail today. I picked up the clevises and control rods from the hobbyshop yesterday. Hopefully I can get some work done this coming weekend. Maybe. Been a very busy week for me. Ordered an ESC from HK, so that won't arrive till close to the end of this month. Also ordered a receiver controlled on/off switch from Altitude Hobbies which will arrive tomorrow.

Getting fired up about mounting that motor and a little nervous in anticipation of the maiden flight.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:00 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,411 Posts
We have STRENGTH!!

Got the carbon fiber tape epoxied into place on the top and bottom of the main spar and that wing is as strong as a board now! Glassed the entire center section of the wing too. Very happy with the strength.

Covered and decorated the wing. Still have to get the front wing dowel mounting point set up, as well as the rear nylon bolt mounts in place. After that I can move on to mounting the motor and the radio gear.

Still waiting for the ESC to be delivered from HK. Hopefully it will get here by the end of the month.

Maybe I can actually fly this puppy in April!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:14 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,411 Posts
Ready to fly!

Maiden report to follow when completed.

Click to view video.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:34 PM
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined May 2012
76 Posts
Wow this looks really great.. can't wait to hear about the maiden flight. Are there plans available.
dmbaerry is offline Find More Posts by dmbaerry
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:56 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbaerry View Post
Wow this looks really great.. can't wait to hear about the maiden flight. Are there plans available.
I got the plans here. http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/

The plane was originally designed as a single channel, rudder-only RC trainer powered by a Cox PeeWee .020. I learned to fly that way more than 40 years ago and after learning to fly, I built one with a TD .020 and ailerons/elevator. Later, I built a 3rd one with a TD .051 which had ailerons/elevator and greatly reduced wing size. It was a real screamer. Kept and flew that plane for 10 years.

In this case I severely bashed the original plans by converting to electric and adding 5 more channels, including the humongous flaps, ailerons, elevator and LED nav lights and the steerable nosewheel. The wing size is still original though.

Electric power for this particular bird is more in line with a Cox TD .051 running 70% nitro. It's no trainer!!

All up weight is now 17-18 ounces with all of the electronics on board. CG turned out to be spot on after I squashed all the stuff inside the fuse. Even so, I'm still very close to a 1:1 power to weight ratio. Should fly really well. Wing loading is going to be around 13-14 oz/sq. ft.

This is something that I've wanted to do for a long time. I even had an article published in Flying Models magazine about it way back in the 70s while I was still in college. Shrinkage of electronics has enabled this bird to become reality.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:23 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,976 Posts
I think I still have the ACE tapered foam wing kit in my stash. My DD with Ace Pulse Commander rudder flapper system was a pleasure to fly. I think it had a Tee Dee .020. Built with light gear, an electric powered version should bring back a lot of grins.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Apr 05, 2013, 08:34 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,411 Posts
I wish the weather would cooperate so that I can maiden this thing!

Click to view video
Old Apr 09, 2013, 09:19 PM
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined May 2012
76 Posts
Just awesome
dmbaerry is offline Find More Posts by dmbaerry