HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:56 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Build Log
Dick's Dream version 2.0

I’ve started a build of the same plane that I learned to fly RC with back in 1972. For more information about the plane and where I got the plans for the build, please check this thread in the micro forum. I actually started building an ultra micro version of this plane first, but have that project on hold for the moment.

This modernized version of the full sized 34" wingspan Dick’s Dream will not only be converted from glow to electric, but will be severely kit bashed with the addition of flaps, ailerons and nav lights. Like so…

Progress thus far... parts cut out and mocked up with scotch tape.
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Last edited by BigIron357; Jan 03, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:49 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
very nice your last thread on your dicks dream was tremendous i've just looked through it now! your installation of ailerons and flaps would be a nice feature as well.

All i can say i nice and eagerly await the update!

good job so far to, it looks very neat!
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:41 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,723 Posts
full size, 34 inch?
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:54 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
full size, 34 inch?
Yup! Thanks for catching that. I've updated my original post to reflect the size now.

Haven't gotten anything done yet today. Went out running errands and just got home but I do hope to make more progress this evening.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:35 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
very nice your last thread on your dicks dream was tremendous i've just looked through it now! your installation of ailerons and flaps would be a nice feature as well.

All i can say i nice and eagerly await the update!

good job so far to, it looks very neat!
Thanks!

Here are the ultra micro and full sized versions side by side for comparison.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:34 AM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Here are the ultra micro and full sized versions side by side for comparison.[/QUOTE]

i cant see the other plane LMAO!!!

it's soo small, good job!
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:49 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Got some more work done on the fuse yesterday. Installed the doublers, partially sheeted the bottom and got the firewall epoxied in place.

Also worked out a servo tray... what a PITA that was. My big hands trying to handle the small servos and the tiny tray was too much fun. Not! And you can also see where the receiver and ESC should eventually be located in the forward cabin area behind the firewall.

Today I'll kick it up a notch and install some servo tray rails so that I can slide the tray fore and aft to help with CG placement.

I stuck an 850 mah battery in the fuse to show relative sizes. Dunno what size battery I'll go with yet, but I'm hoping to keep it located directly under the CG as shown in the pix.

Making progress...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:07 AM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
any more progress?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:37 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Am finally back to working on it today. Got sidetracked this week. Went fishing with my bride and stepson and so forth.

I also went to 2 hobbyshops and picked up a bunch of stuff and I just now got back from picking up a used Spektrum DX5e transmitter which I'll use for the ultra micro version.

Will post pix as I make more progress!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:44 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,723 Posts
you got a second tx?
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:57 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Okay, I'm back on the job!

Last night I got the servo tray rails cut and installed. Old school style so that the tray can slide fore and aft to help locate the CG without adding weight.

I'd initially thought of just screwing the servo tray into place as I normally would but am now considering using velcro to secure the tray to the railings. What do ya'll think about that method?

And I also got the elevator joined and covered, plus the horizontal stab. A couple weeks ago I did finish covering the rudder and vertical stab.

Click on image to play video.

Will strive today to get quite a bit more done, including starting on the wing!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:52 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Steaming along now!

Got the steerable nosewheel mounted this afternoon. What a pain that was... took me an hour and a half .

Also mounted the wing saddles and sheeted the rear of the fuse. The wing saddles are not finished. I'll work on those once the wing is formed.

I left the bottom of the fuse open at the tail end for ventilation. Mounted a ply plate at the nosewheel which will become a front mounting point for the hatch. Added a basswood crossbrace at the front of the forward bulkhead parallel to the bottom of the fuse which will be used as the rear hatch mount point.

Bent up the main landing gear wire and mounted the wheels temporarily. And finally, I did some preliminary sanding. My wife started cutting out the ribs for me and we mocked those up in their assigned locations on the plan.

Getting fired up here!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:47 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
The fuse is completed except for final sanding and covering.

I fabricated a massive battery hatch. Couldn't make up my mind on where I wanted it located, so I ended up just making it huge. Looks like a giant speed brake! But now I have flexibility on battery and ESC locations. Went with the old school method for attaching the hatch plate... used DuBro hinges pinned in place with toothpicks. The hatch material is 1/16" plywood. Cut the vent holes with a 1/4" drill and a rotary tool. The fuse has plenty of stiffness, so no worries there.

Wing ribs are all cut, including the sub-ribs for the flaps and ailerons.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:37 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Fuse is done except for final color trim. Steerable nosewheel is installed with the control rod and is functional! That was a royal pain to do. Whew!

Will wait until I get the actual motor that will be fitted before I complete the color trim in the nose. Tailfeathers won't be glued on until final assembly but are mocked up for the pix.

Next comes the wing!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:30 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,368 Posts
When I get a "roun toit". I want to build an electric-powered scratch version of a Sterling Mambo, I know, it's been done. But how do you explain nostalgia for the things of your youth. My old Mambo had a single channel radio system with escapement powered rudder and no elevator, ailerons, or throttle.Power was a Torpedo .25 green head. It did have considerable down and right thrust. Models of this type had a lot of dihedral and were trimmed for constant climb straight ahead. I may incorporate ailerons, elevator and throttle but not use them when simulating olde tyme single channel flying including snap rolls, spiral dives and loops. It's fun to control climb with turns and to build up speed for loops with spiral dives. It's also fun to kill the motor and try for "dead stick" spot landings. When not showing off single channel skills, I'll trim for level flight and fly it like a low powered trainer with four channels.

I enjoyed my Dick's Dream a lot with the Ace Pulse Commander and Tee Dee .020 power. T'was easy to fly and quite stuntable.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jan 27, 2013 at 02:49 PM.