SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:29 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
Discussion
SOLD! 1/2A for sale LPU only!

Scientific American Boy

I built this thinking it would be fun to fly. Then I watched Ah Clem with his RTF's spinning around and I thought, hmmm, maybe I should stick with my Twister!

So here's the deal.

Plane is brand new, never flown. I'm an experienced, lifelong modeller. Successful competitor in FreeFlight.

The vertical and horizontal stabilizers were laminated to prevent splitting. The plane is finished with fuel proof LustreKote.

The engine is NOT INCLUDED! $50, local pick-up LA area.
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Norm Furutani; Jan 04, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:52 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
878 Posts
1950s models

I built several Enterprise, Scientific, and some third company's plank wing kit, for OK Cubs. None ever flew worth spit. I went on in CL despite the failures with sparkies first, and Half-As second. I was determined to succeed.

However, a couple of years later, after having done ever so much better with bigger, more reliable hardware, better suited to windy conditions, I bought an Atwood Shriek and flew it on some Half-A FF model kit similar to a Spacer, but my memory only gives me a "when", not a "what", and it was a kit, not scratch, The 1/2A Spacer kit didn't exist yet when I buit the similar FF model.

For only 99 cents, an American Boy kit was cheap. I built mine, painted it like the box art, flew it with the Atwood, and used 35' steel 008 braided lines. It flew nicely, although wing-overs were the full extent of its maneuvers, and you need to start pulling out pretty high to clear the ground.

Several friends into other activities were able to fly it without any serious problems, it was so steady (read that as nose-heavy).

Get a large enough radius, and it's like flying any other CL model, but the steel lines are very fragile, and don't last very long.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:26 AM
Joined Aug 2009
217 Posts
Balance is the thing!!! By simply adding a little weight to the tail your American Boy you would have amazed with its stunts. The plans show two balance points: one for training and one for stunts including a very nice figure eight.

Larry
BLACK HAWK MOD is offline Find More Posts by BLACK HAWK MOD
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:08 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK HAWK MOD View Post
Balance is the thing!!! By simply adding a little weight to the tail your American Boy you would have amazed with its stunts. The plans show two balance points: one for training and one for stunts including a very nice figure eight.
Considering that I was 15 years old then, so it was almost 60 years ago now, my best recollection is that I added lead shot in the recess inside the backplate, or it would have been really far too tail heavy. The Atwoods were very light in weight.

However, I thought that if Norm didn't find a buyer, he could find a set of steel lines, set up a nose heavy balance, and save it for a grandkid, or if he's my age, maybe a great grandkid, to try.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:30 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,375 Posts
This is really tempting, as I like 1/2A airplanes and I suspect that both Cox and WenMac .049's are actually breeding in my garage...
(I keep finding more of them).

My RTF's were Wen Mac's flying on 15' lines, so they were pretty short. The P-39 is fairly fast, so one gets dizzy quite easily.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Last edited by Ah Clem; Jan 03, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,375 Posts
Well, I met Norm this morning, saw the red airplane (which is really nicely finished) and decided I needed it.

Thanks Norm!

Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:08 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Well, I met Norm this morning, saw the red airplane (which is really nicely finished) and decided I needed it.

Thanks Norm!

Thank You! The best part is I get to see it fly!

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:50 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,375 Posts
"The best part is I get to see it fly!"

Yes you will!

You are welcome to fly it, when I have it ready!

I have to go on an engine quest in the garage this weekend. I know where a Golden Bee is, but I think that is too long and will not allow it to balance properly.

Somewhere, there is a Spitzy, and a few other somewhat unusual motors, but I cannot find any of then at this time!

It might get a Wen Mac or Testors motor, also.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,375 Posts
Norm,

I wanted to let you know that I officially gave up on trying to find my stash of 1/2A engines in the garage, and purchased a "Red Bee" from Cox for this airplane.

I have test run the engine a few times and the plane should be ready to fly in a week or two.

My time, unfortunately, is much more limited than it was, so I am not sure when it will actually fly.

You did a beautiful building job it, by the way.