SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:25 PM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Steve's Boathouse

Vintage Marblehead - The Epic

The EPIC, Bigger than Ben Hur.

It all started some twenty years ago. I received a hull of a Marblehead with no explanation from anyone, no drawings, nothing just a bare hull. It appeared it had been found at a garage sale and cost less than a dollar to buy. The person that bought it thought it would make a nice fruit dish or something.
I have seen many model yachts in my time, fat ones, thin ones, flat ones and deep, you name it Iíve seen it. I saw an EPIC once, It encompassed all the above and somehow, in my mind is one of the most beautiful Marbleheads Iíve ever seen in a life time of model yachts.
Now they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I would agree to that. There is another saying that says, if it looks right it is right. The EPIC suits both these sayings.
After looking at this hull for some time, I knew it had to be finished. But how? I didnít know who designed it. Iíd only saw one briefly in 1976 and you know what memories are like, we only remember what we want to remember, which is generally wrong.
The person, who owned the Epic I saw, only had a vague recollection of it. I found out later it was from Tom Protheroe. Tom won the USA National Championship with it. The person couldnít remember any details about it, which is great. Well after mulling over this problem for some time, I thought to myself, who needs a drawing? Who needs a plan? After all itís only a Marblehead, one canít get into too much trouble with it.
Like all double-enders the waterline must be symmetrical, right? So the keel should by all logic be about the middle of the boat, 25 inches from the bow. The boatís CLR should be around 25/26 inches, put the rudder at the right end, (at the back, I was just testing you). The centre of balance a little bit away from the CLR and bingo.
The sail plan arranged around these CBís and CLRís and, etc, etc. Should go well. It sailed, sort of, as I previously said, if it looks right it is right but, it wasnít or didnít. It sailed okay but wouldnít point. AH HA!!! Move the mast back, that will make her point, it didnít and wouldnít, it wasnít like anything Iíd seen before. This S.O.B. only had one redeeming feature it was easy to sail. Clearly the CLR was wrong or was it the CB? The boat just didnít look right. Somehow it looked like a fruit dish a couple of oranges wouldnít look out of place on board.
But, what to do? A great idea come over me, put it up in the loft of the boathouse, thatís my Ďto- hard basketí, us model yachtsmen have them.
SCENE 2: A couple of years later looking around the loft, the Cook told me to clean it up, (what would we do without the girls) Hey whatís this? The fruit dish. That really P....d me off, great boat BUT. I shouldnít let it beat me. No one will know if I stuff up another attempt, will they?
What does one do when a boat wonít go? Well, we can start by ripping the deck off and we can rip the keel off, It didnít look right somehow, who designed this boat anyway and why can'tí I find out about it? I consulted a couple of local designers about this double- ender that was defying all my long held pet theories.
The boat was back to the bare hull stage by this time, it was great getting rid of those pent up emotions on pulling this boat apart. What to do next? This time Iíll put some tape across the beam to try and get the shape. I used that wide electrical tape, to induce a little shape to where it should go. The bare hull was turned up-side down and a slot was cut for the keel, 3inches (75mm) back from the old keel position, We will straddle this problem, like ranging a shot with a cannon, one before the target and one over the target, THEN BLAMMMM! Hang on a moment, old pet theories didnít work last time? Back to the too hard basket, and the loft didnít need cleaning out at all.
SCENE 3: Time stands still for no man. Weíre doing the retirement thing now.Lets go for a holiday.......... Somewhere? The little lady says The STATES, sheís been writing to a pen friend there for 37 years (I wondered what she was doing). I had an acquaintance there when I sailed EC12ís, in Seattle.What a coincidence, same place the little ladyís been writing too. The plot thickens. I remember I wanted to see a certain pond in Marblehead near Boston where the M class first started in 1930. Couldnít think of the name of the pond, but I called it Potters Pond, and wrote over to him for some information on it. While I was about it, I asked him where I could get a plan of an old boat called EPIC. Got a letter back pretty quick, About what their sailing in Seattle etc, he would give me the address of a person in Marblehead, great.
He knew about the EPIC, he said it was designed by a mate of his, Tom Protheroe of Santa Barbara and that he had seen him recently at the 100th anniversary of the San Francisco Model Yacht clubís regatta. He didnít think he had ever seen a plan for EPIC. I quickly wrote a letter to Tom. I pleaded to have some sort of information about the boat. Any information, a thumbnail sketch, perhaps some measurements, the CB or even the CLR or even an Ďanythingí. Iím desperate, I waited a week for a response, nothing. Three weeks, nothing. Bloody Yanks, nothing. Four weeks, nothing.
Four weeks and one day a note from the post office, ďcome and get your parcelĒ, a tube had arrived. A whole plan, these yanks, friends, allies and comrades. My friend was right, for there was no blueprints for EPIC, Tom had sent a large General Arrangements drawing showing everything, the CB, CLR, etc, etc and two colour photos of Rog Grigsbyís boat and a letter saying ĎHOWDY DOWN UNDERí. (The Yanks donít know itís really UP THERE). Tom had drawn a large GA plan using 2 EPIC boats from his mates in Santa Barbara.
I admit it, I wanted to rush into the workshop (boathouse) and start straight away. No, this had to be done properly, no cannon ranging shots anymore. LOOK AT THE DRAWING, DUMMY. Well, one quick look says it all, the sail plan is in the last half of the boat. The main boom is only a couple of inches from the transom .The sides of the boat from the bow are almost parallel down to, or past the half way mark; this accounts for the problems with the CLR etc. The mast sits on the CB of all places. The bolt that holds the lead and keel to the boat is also the mast position for it actually reduces the weather helm, they say.
Scene 4: Wood and Glue, sandpaper, paint and harmony, blessed peace. EPIC in all itís glory sits before me, gold below the LWL royal blue above, Iíve called my boat after Tomís boat which I think is that original one, the OLE# 476, that won the 1976 US National championship. The name of the boat came from Tomís house number in Santa Barbara, a real dreamboat to build, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUíVE GOT A DRAWING.
Didnít I say EPIC, bigger than Ben Ė Hur ?

The Acient Mariner - Stephen Crewes 2005
Viking50 is offline Find More Posts by Viking50
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:43 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Hidden Treasures:

Our resident Sydney-sider and EC12 protector Leigh Grove has found another gem from the past. This time it's a Mini Mariner that has been hidden away from sight and mind in the Western Suburbs of Sydney until Leigh got wind of it's existence.

The boat is in pristine condition and possible, has'nt been sailed before. A check through the class register has identified the boat as Mini Mariner, serial number 117 placing it's age approximately 26 years old (young).

This find provides a timely reminder for anyone seeking a second hand boat to make contact with Leigh vide: lgrove@bigpond.com or if you are interested in a new boat, don't hesitate to contact Kevin vide: kevin@hobbywerx.com.au you won't be disappointed either way.

I have also learned Colin Durran has acquired another neglected EC12 gem; I'll drop over to Colin and get a few photo's and report back.

All the best and thanks for your interest,

Bob
Last edited by Viking50; Feb 16, 2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:20 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
NSW EC12 numbers are on the increase:

ECSA:

A hearty welcome to our two new EC12 enthusiast Mike and Scott, who have joined our ranks this weekend. Our intrepid Sydney-sider Leigh has made welcome both gents to the fold at the East Coast Sailing Association event.

Mike has purchased a second hand boat and has been impressed by the support form local skippers. Scott one the other hand, is continuing the EC12 tradition passed down from his father and is sailing his father boat KA28, first registered back in 1983. A thirty year old boat that has stood the test of time to continue as good as the day she was last sailed.

Tuross Head:

The Tuross Head band of merry men (under the leadership of Rob R) are not to be out done with an increase of two newbie's. This now inflates their regular fleet to an impressive 15; keep this trend up Rob and you'll be able to start your own association.

(Two for two Leigh, your move!)

Gentlemen, welcome to the fold and we look forward to your participation for many year to come.

PS. (Good news folks, Leigh is considering retiring his Box Brownie to enter the modern era and purchase a digital camera, so we can look forward to loads of photo's in the near future). Good on ya mate!

All the best and thanks for your interest,

Bob.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
ob

Good to see you back on line... Hope teh Family weren't caught up in the Qld & NSW Floods.

Not sure if this is common knowledge... A Hidden Gem...

Quote:
"Announcement from the Secretary

It is with deep regret that it is to be announced that Peter is to step down as President. He has made this decision in the interest of unifying the different factions that believe they cannot be involved under his leadership

It took a lot of drive and effort to push through to the point we now find ourselves and for that Peter should receive thanks and gratitude for the job he has done. Peter has been spending considerable effort to bring the EC12 to new areas and they are on the verge of becoming established.

With the ARYA dropping the EC12 from national class status we now find ourselves in an entirely different position and Yeoman Sands with his long involvement with the class has agreed to take on the position of President in an effort to unite all owners and push forward with renewed vigour to obtain a better future.

It is time for all owners to take an interest in their class and through involvement help to shape its future. If you have ideas they can only be put forward by becoming a part of the process. Criticism from outside does nothing but demoralise those that are trying to achieve goals put forward by the members.

Old ambiguities need to be put aside; membership is the means to obtain a voice in your own future. In the past there has been a lot of misinformation, we do not and never had the intention of getting rid of the old boats. It was one person’s view that was defeated when put to the vote. The main discussion is how to incorporate all EC12 as a group and it is with this in mind we have Bob Tonge in place to take up the role of AEC12OA Registrar. ALL boat owners are encouraged to register and class numbers and stickers will be issued (along the same lines as NZ ) in three colours:-

GREEN-Member with verified registration

YELLOW- Non Member with verified registration

RED – Non registered boats

This will be free for the first year and it is envisioned that a fee of $5 dollars per year thereafter be charged and coincide with a check measure for compliance. The reason for the three coloured stickers is to distinguish boats that comply and are able to sail in all major regattas, and boats that do not comply be encouraged to sail local regattas and club racing.

This system will ensure boats be registered which will then maintain their value in the second hand market. Even now with the system that was in place under the ARYA we cannot find out a boats registration number if we only have the boat and no sail numbers available. Builders numbers where never recorded and these do not give us registration numbers.

The name of the boat on all relevant AEC12OA documentation shall revert back to the EC12.

In future new boats will be made available to all people interested, with membership encouraged. As the association can afford to, moulds will be made available to other areas. At the time of writing boats are being moulded by a professional company and we have obtained a firm price for them to supply a master plug and a new working mould that will probably go to NSW. Expressions of interest will be welcomed from manufactures in that state.

As far as the rules go now is the perfect time to bring our rule base in line with other countries. The main area of consternation is the deck measurement rules which have been fiddled about for years. I believe new boats from existing moulds can be made to conform to the new rule, but, if I am wrong let me know.

All the basic requirements are in place for this class to become a model of how a class can be run in Australia. All we need is unity and personal involvement.

As I write this we are about 3 weeks from the MORGAN BLACK REGATTA. We would have liked to see more local and interstate participation but for reasons I can only guess it is not to be. That being so I am sure all those entered will have an extremely enjoyable time.

It is now time for those that have been opposed to our past efforts to step forward and take an active role in helping to shape what the EC12 class will become.

We would like to hear from anyone willing to take on management and technical roles. Measurers will be needed in key areas and these people will form the base of the technical/rules committee. It is envisioned to expand the current management from President, Secretary and Treasurer to include possibly Communication officer, Publicity officer and Registrar.

Cheers for now

Garry Taylor AEC12OA Secretary"
The question I would ask is, Once a Boat has a particular STICKER then does taht sticker remain in effect for the life of the Boat.

If a membership was no longer renewed would that then make the boat a NON-Registered Baoat as it misses its' compulsory weight & check measure... Possibly Yearly???

Not sure that I would support BOAT Registration attached to Membership..

And to make one Galring Observation... NO MENTION IN IE12 RULES... OF STICKERS nor ANYTHING LIKE THE SUGGESTED PROCEDURES

Cheers

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Last edited by waboats; Feb 17, 2013 at 05:01 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:05 PM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Interesting letter John;
As we know the class was never going to move forward while the previous principal OA executive was micro-managing his own desire. The change is a positive move for the class and I wish the best for Yeoman. The current situation will not be a quick fix as there are significant issues that need to be addressed and rectified.

The ARYA has supported the current move by the OA and, I am sure, will lend support to a lengthy process of reunification and production of one standard set of Class Rules. Perhaps, in many years to come.

However, it must be reiterated that National status for the class has been withdrawn by the ARYA and as a consequence our priority is the welfare of the EC12 class in our respective Stateís by cementing a solid foundation to foster growth and profile.

The National Status issue might be revisited in the fullness of time.

All the best,

Bob.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking50 View Post
However, it must be reiterated that National status for the class has been withdrawn by the ARYA and as a consequence our priority is the welfare of the EC12 class in our respective Stateís by cementing a solid foundation to foster growth and profile.

The National Status issue might be revisited in the fullness of time.

All the best,

Bob.

Bob

You are absolutely right...

Lets hope the Boats that have been ordered from WA (supposedly) find a welcoming home & space within the WA calendar for some organised racing & class acceptance..

Not just a token addition that come out to play maybe once a year...

If they ever get organised I might just consider a rethink on a Boat, so long as it doesn't get bogged down in the usual Politics..

Cheers

John
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Bob

Any News on the Morgan Black..

Started 24th Feb with Measuring, Registration & Practice Sail

First Full day of Competition 25th Feb 2013..

Lay Day Today...

Are there any updates on how things are progressing?

Cheers

John
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:30 AM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Viking, Under the Australia 11 direct to contact this made to Col Durran , durranactbrs@primus.com.au.

Steve
aussiecollector is offline Find More Posts by aussiecollector
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Jun 2009
84 Posts
If you'll send me a mailing address, I'll provide you with 4 pages of EPIC layout and dimensions on a letterhead that proclaims: PROTHEROE MODEL BOATWORKS.

Might be useful in your efforts. Rod Carr, Sailing in Seattle
RodACarr is offline Find More Posts by RodACarr
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Viking,
the new group www.australia12metregroup.com.

Steve
aussiecollector is offline Find More Posts by aussiecollector
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:40 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WABOATS:
Lets hope the Boats that have been ordered from WA (supposedly) find a welcoming home & space within the WA calendar for some organised racing & class acceptance..
Well John you,re right again,
Without National status the WA EC12 chaps will have to seek support from the WA Radio Yachting Council. As I have no idea of the politics in WA I can only hope they will be received with open arms and offered all the support required to maintain and grow the class in WA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABOATS:
Any News on the Morgan Black..
In short John, no, and that concerns me particularlly after the USA EC12 website removed the advertisment for this event some months ago. I aslo noted the entries from USA and UK disappeared from the entry list?

With a lack of international participants; NZ skippers excluded; the event seems to have lost it's profile. I have had many enquiries from EC12 owners questioning the validity to name the competition "Morgan Black", without USA and UK involvement does the event still qualify?????

Perhaps one of our friends in the USA would clarify the situation - What is the criteria to host and hold a "Morgan Black" competition outside of the USA?

If I am able to get any update on the Queensland competition, I let you know.

All the best,

Bob.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:52 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aussiecollector;
Viking,
the new group www.australia12metregroup.com.

Steve
G'day Steve,
Would you please check the link as I am unable to open and access the site.

Regards,
Bob.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:56 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RodACarr:
If you'll send me a mailing address, I'll provide you with 4 pages of EPIC layout and dimensions on a letterhead that proclaims: PROTHEROE MODEL BOATWORKS.

Might be useful in your efforts. Rod Carr, Sailing in Seattle
Hello Rod,
Many thanks for your continued support, I look forward to receiving any assistance you may offer.

All the best.

Bob - Lake Sailing in the Nations Capital - Canberra
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:59 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Thanks Steve,

Contact details for our NSW State EC12 coordinator "Colin Durran" are: eastcoast12@live.com.au

Regards,

Bob

PS. I'll be visiting you soon!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:07 AM
Bob
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
G'day John,

I have been receiving a lot of questions regarding use of the new "Lipo" batteries and frankly, I haven't got a clue! To that end, would you be willing to enlighten us with your knowledge?

Size of battery; safety concerns; charging procedures and anything else you believe would be important.

I know I would like to upgrade in keeping with the ever-increasing technology but as I mentioned, I don't understand the product or the numerous choices that are available.

How do you select the right battery for the different classes of RC yachts we are currently sailing: EC12; A; 10R; M; IOM; Soling; Laser and soon to be J class?

Looking forward to your insight,

Bob.