HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:30 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
605 Posts
Sub-Deck Installed

Hi Everyone,
The sub-deck was glued on today and the deck edge was sanded. After this picture was taken, the King Plank was glued and pegged in place. The lines on the sub-deck will give me an indication where the frames are, and the lines will also help me keep the pegs in line. I'm using square toothpicks for the pegs. The King Plank will dry completely and will form the basis for all planks to follow. Back to planking again. Bob SF
Bob SF is offline Find More Posts by Bob SF
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:25 PM
oldtribefan
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined May 2007
595 Posts
Bob, are you trying to put square pegs into round holes again?
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:16 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
605 Posts
Boat B Planking Almost Done

Hi Oldtribefan,
Yes, I'm a big fan of square pegs and round holes. It keeps life interesting. The secret is to use a big hammer!

Here is a picture, taken by her owner, of Boat B with just a few more planks to go. After chores and yard work, I hope to get a few more deck planks on Boat C. Bob SF
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:12 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
605 Posts
Deck Planks Go Down on Boat C

Hi Everyone,
Boat C had her deck planks installed and two coats of polyurethane have been applied. The deck took 55 planks and probably 150 to 200 pegs. Each plank was glued on with Titebond III and was pegged at every frame it crossed. It took about a day and a half to get the deck done. Once the glue dried, the tops of the pegs were trimmed off with a pair of side cutting pliers and then hand sanded with a block and 60 grit sandpaper. A Sears Mouse sander with 80 grit paper was used to even out the deck and get rid of any glue marks next to the pegs. Final sanding was done with 220 grit sandpaper. Two coats of MINWAX Gloss Polyurethane were applied to the deck. Once dry, the deck will be sanded and another coat of polyurethane will be applied. When the third coat of polyurethane is dry, DAP Interior/Exterior Latex Wood Filler (color: Walnut) will be used to grout the planks. At that magic time when the wood filler is setting up, a damp cloth will be used to remove any excess material. When the wood filler is dry, subsequent coats of polyurethane will be applied. Once the deck is done, the bulwarks come next. Bob SF
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:03 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
605 Posts
Boat C Gets Her Bulwark

Hi Everyone,
Boat C has had a bunch of stuff done to her since last time. Her deck was sanded and grouted. Again, I'm not used to working on such a big boat and she took almost 10 oz. of DAP Latex Wood Filler to grout the planks (two trips to the hardware store....kept running out of product). Her decks got four coats of varnish. The upper part of her stem was cut and installed, followed by the bulwark and half a rubrail (ran out of wood for the port side rub rail). The inner lip for the cabin was soaked in hot water and dry fit into the boat so that it gets used to being bent. The cap rail for the top of the bulwark comes next. Once that part has been cut, the inner lip for the cabin can be installed. More wood has been ordered and I'm taking a break from rub rails for a while. Pretty soon, it will be time to apply a coat of primer.

Boat B is coming over today to have her first coat of epoxy inside the hull. All of her planks are on, she has been sanded, and she looks really good. Bob SF
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:15 PM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob SF View Post
Hi Everyone,
Boat C had her deck planks installed and two coats of polyurethane have been applied. The deck took 55 planks and probably 150 to 200 pegs. Each plank was glued on with Titebond III and was pegged at every frame it crossed. It took about a day and a half to get the deck done. Once the glue dried, the tops of the pegs were trimmed off with a pair of side cutting pliers and then hand sanded with a block and 60 grit sandpaper. A Sears Mouse sander with 80 grit paper was used to even out the deck and get rid of any glue marks next to the pegs. Final sanding was done with 220 grit sandpaper. Two coats of MINWAX Gloss Polyurethane were applied to the deck. Once dry, the deck will be sanded and another coat of polyurethane will be applied. When the third coat of polyurethane is dry, DAP Interior/Exterior Latex Wood Filler (color: Walnut) will be used to grout the planks. At that magic time when the wood filler is setting up, a damp cloth will be used to remove any excess material. When the wood filler is dry, subsequent coats of polyurethane will be applied. Once the deck is done, the bulwarks come next. Bob SF
Very nice work,what did you use to space your planks?
Browndog is online now Find More Posts by Browndog
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:23 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
605 Posts
Hi Browndog,
I used a popsicle stick, cut into three pieces and laid out at the beginning, middle, and end of each plank. After the plank was glued and pegged, I'd pull out the spacers and move on. The toughest thing to remember was to use a spacer at the end of each plank as well (I thought for sure that I would mess that up). Bob SF
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:52 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,199 Posts
KILLER job, that wark looks like it was a challenge, came out razor sharp.

How did you cut the drain ports in the side ?
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:39 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
605 Posts
Hi Tim,
I made a jig for my drill press that holds the bulwark and I use a spoon tipped router bit to cut the slot. The jig has some nylon bearings on it that allows you to slide the bulwark through the router bit. Then I go over the piece with a file to clean it up. The bulwark is then glued to the boat. Thanks for the nice comment. Bob SF
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:51 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,199 Posts
Will be ready for summer ?
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:54 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
605 Posts
Hi Tim,
I don't know. It would be nice if it was.....maybe late Summer.
Bob SF
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:49 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Beautiful job so far, BobSF!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:50 AM
Romania, HD, Sāntandrei
Joined Apr 2006
516 Posts
Well done!
marinaru_ro is offline Find More Posts by marinaru_ro
Old Mar 20, 2013, 06:23 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
605 Posts
Hi Aerominded and Marinaru-ro...thank you for the nice comments. Aerominded, good to hear from you again. The cap rail was cut today and it was about as much fun as doing the bulwark....right up there with fiberglassing...not fun...but almost done. The cap rail will go on on three major pieces; port, starboard, and stern. The cap rail is made up of 3mm Oak Plywood. Once in place, I'll skin the outside edges with 1/8 x 3/16 bass wood and sand the edge of the rail to an oval bevel. When completed, the rail will get a couple coats of mahogany varnish stain. The bulwark and the rail were tough jobs....I think I need a break! Bob SF
Old Mar 20, 2013, 06:27 PM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,195 Posts
Pictures
Browndog is online now Find More Posts by Browndog