HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:20 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,798 Posts
Nice looking hull. I know how you feel about finishing up the fiber glassing, not my favorite thing to do.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:49 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
Deck Beams Installed

Hi Ed & Louie, thank you for the nice comments.

Today, the deck beams went in, getting ready for the bracing for the bollards and support structure that will be the base for the cabin. The position for the bulkhead at frame 9.5 was moved forward to frame 9 to make room for a servo for the rudder (just too tight a fit). More sanding to do on the interior to clean up the frames before the deck goes on. I'm going to use 1/16" plywood as the sub-deck and plank over the top of that with 3/16" pine (should be tough enough). I positioned a sheet of 1/16" plywood over the deck beams and the plywood took the curve nicely. The deck will be sheathed in two pieces (split down the middle). It will be fun to see the deck go on and fill up that big hole on top. Bob SF
Bob SF is offline Find More Posts by Bob SF
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:45 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,514 Posts
Great progress Bob ~

Summer coming FAST !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:17 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
Hi Tim, with the sound of rain and wind beating against the house....I'll have to take your word for it. Bob SF
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:18 AM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Your hull is looking fantastic, Bob!
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,652 Posts
Nice looking hull.
Band1 is offline Find More Posts by Band1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 32 Ford rat Rod
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:30 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
Bollard Supports Installed

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for the nice comments. Boat C's hull is ready for the 1/16" plywood sub-deck to come next. All of the bollard supports (3/4" plywood) were cut and glued in today. It is really embarrassing to have your bollards pull out of the deck, so 3/4" ply might be overkill, but at least they won't pull out. The frame for the stern of the boat was also cut and installed. I'm looking forward to planking the deck....another milestone. Tomorrow, Boat B will have a "plank-a-thon" with two of us working to get the second boat covered in balsa planks. Bob SF
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:42 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,096 Posts
Lookin' good .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:01 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
Results of the Plank-A-Thon, Boat B

Hi Everyone,
Here is a shot of Boat B, during the Plank-A-Thon. Two of us sat down and tag teamed the planks and we installed about 14-16 planks in just a couple of hours. It is really cool to see the hull shape forming before your eyes. With each plank, the tugboat is revealed. Bob SF
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:26 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
Rudder Goes On

Hi Everyone,
The rudder, skeg, rudder tube, and control arm were installed on Boat C. I'm not used to building big boats and it felt pretty strange to use 3/16" piano wire for the rudder shaft.....but 1/8" didn't look big enough (what I normally use for rudder shafts). The rudder shaft has a key way ground into it so that solder will fill the void and lock it to the brass tube, which in turn is soldered to a brass blade that makes up the core of the rudder. Plywood is laminated to the brass blade to bring the width of the rudder up to the cross section that I'm looking for. The rudder is then skinned with more plywood. The rudder is sanded to shape at this point. The brass bands are glued in place and then drilled and pinned with brass nails, which in turn are soldered into place (at the bands). The rudder is then sanded, and then coated with West System Epoxy. The skeg was made out of two laminations of brass stock (my hardware store has had difficulty getting material from K&S and pickings among the brass bin is pretty scarce). The sub deck is cut today. I think I'm a couple of days away from planking the deck. Bob SF
Last edited by Bob SF; Mar 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Identify which boat
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:32 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,237 Posts
Bob SF your build is looking great! Just finished the rudder on my little project as well.

Am enjoying the build!
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Last edited by Rmay; Mar 11, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:15 PM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
amazing

mp
Melih PEKOL is offline Find More Posts by Melih PEKOL
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:46 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
Rudder Servo Installed

Hi Everyone,
Skinned the transom today in 1/16" plywood and installed the rudder servo and the linkage. The sub-deck has been rough cut (not glued) and I ran out of 30 minute epoxy, so I'll be waiting for the brown truck to arrive. Bob SF
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:43 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,514 Posts
Man your really movin now, in the water in No time ~

This one's big enough to add cladding to the sides in case of go-fasty attack !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:18 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
No go fasty attacks please......enough fun with planking already! The red buoys at the lake have stopped that completely....much safer now. Bob SF