1,844 Posts
nice predrilled wire runs!!!
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:22 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback. I'm on the lookout for a cardboard tube to make the stack out of. Once glassed, the cardboard should make a light smoke stack and will help keep the CG of the boat low. But for now, I'll be sanding and filling. Bob SF
Bob SF is offline Find More Posts by Bob SF
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:57 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,126 Posts
Bob, you could always just make up a tube with card stock, glass it and rip out the support structure once the glass kicks off.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:50 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Hi Jerome, that's a great idea. I'll do up a sample and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip.
Bob SF
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:00 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Weymouth in Epoxy

Hi Everyone,
Two rounds of filling and sanding were all that it took to get the hundreds of pin holes filled. It was time to put some epoxy on the hull and she took a little less than a pint inside and probably a half pint outside to fill up the balsa. Once this first coat cures, she'll be sanded a little and then given a coat of fiberglass and epoxy. I'm hoping that one layer will suffice. Bob SF
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:15 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,992 Posts
Gonna be BIG !!!
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:21 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Hi Tim,
I agree with you. I think she will carry a lot of lead and electronics to get her down to her waterline. Bob SF
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:10 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Boat C in Fiberglass, Boat B gets Planked

Hi Everyone,
Boat C has been glassed, sanded, and had another coat of resin applied. She will get another sanding and another coat of resin to smooth out her hull. I think one layer of fiberglass will be enough as she is pretty tough now. Her interior has one layer of resin, but will probably get two more to make sure that the balsa is sealed from any water that might get into her hull. My friend came over today and we started planking his boat (Boat B). Our next job on his boat is to build and install the motor mount. Once that is in place, we can finish getting all of the planking done. I'll be glad when all the resin work is done....Bob SF
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:36 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,992 Posts
Very cool to have two of these in the works at the same time !

You guys may be having Too much fun ....
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:45 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,121 Posts
Body Tubes - Couplers - Launch Lugs might be just the ticketů
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:01 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Hi WoodyBob,
The rocket tube that I was originally looking for was "Out of Stock" at the above link.

Found another model rocket supply store that had the part and ordered it T-80H Tube (2.6" x 30"). This should be enough material for two tugs.
http://www.asp-rocketry.com

Using the rocket body tube is a great idea....thank you!!!!!!! Bob SF
Last edited by Bob SF; Mar 17, 2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Updating availability of part and diameter of part
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:06 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,284 Posts
I may have to use the rocket tube idea on my TID as well!

Another option, although more complicated - would be something like George did http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...5019#msg145019 on his TID.

Much, much easier to go with the cardboard tube I guess, judging from the build and past builds - the above is well within your skills!

Excellent work.
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:48 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Hi Rmay, those cardboard tubes are looking better all the time! Off to sand the interior and apply another coat of resin. Bob SF
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:32 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Weymouth Resin and Glass Done

Hi Everyone,
I can't tell you how happy I am now that the resin and glass work is done on Boat C. She had an additional two coats of resin applied after the glass coat. Each coat was sanded to a point where I didn't dare sand anymore for fear of sanding through the glass....which I actually did on one side near the keel (easy fix). Inside the hull, she also received two coats of resin, with special attention being taken to seal up the bow at the gap between the stem and the planking. She also needed to have a real boat stand built, as she fell off the temporary boat stand, but luckily landed on the work bench with no damage. Boat B had her motor bearers installed and an aluminum motor mount was made to hold her big Pittman motor. Once her thrust bearing base is installed, she will be back to the building board to have the rest of her planking completed. Both boats are looking really good. Bob SF
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:52 PM
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
1,925 Posts
Coming out nice those hull look good
louie R/C NUT is offline Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT