Hi Tim, I try to think about it as "more work time with the glue"..... Bob SF
Bob SF is online now Find More Posts by Bob SF
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:55 PM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
I see that it is true that a man can never have too many clamps! The build is looking great.
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:59 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,360 Posts
No No ...

Thats "a man can never have too many vices" ...
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:24 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,780 Posts
This will be a build to watch and learn.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:51 AM
no such thing as to many boats
Joined May 2010
1,674 Posts
i agree
louie R/C NUT is offline Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:57 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
576 Posts
Hi Guys, thank you for the support on this build. I don't think you can every have too many clamps....and I was running out and had to get creative with the clothes pins. I'm trying to keep the various pressures on the hull even so that I don't warp the structure. After sanding, I'm going to mount the motor and get the universal hooked while I can still see everything. Doing all the hard stuff first pays off later when the hull gets cramped for room. I think I hear a sander calling..... Bob SF
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:02 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,360 Posts
Cant wait to see This motor .. And Prop !
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:09 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
576 Posts
Hi Tim, It's an Astro Flight geared Marine 25.....and a 75mm 4-blade. The idea is to drop the prop a little lower on the keel and keep it from sucking air from the surface. I remember seeing the previous Weymouth models make a lot of foam and I'm hoping this tactic works better. I've done this combination on Elmira (PRR Switcher Tug) and it has worked well. Bob SF
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:35 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
576 Posts
Motor Goes In

Hi Everyone, another busy day in the shop. Since it wasn't as cold today, I decided to get all of the tough stuff done and install the motor and bearings. It is sooooo much easier to get this done while the boat is still in the framing stage. After this picture was taken, I removed all the moving parts, taped up the shaft ends, and sanded the boat to its final shape. I will go over the boat one more time with a batten and sandpaper to make sure that the frames all line up and then planking begins. I'm actually looking forward to it. Bob SF
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:22 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,360 Posts
Heavy Duty !

Looks Heavy Duty !
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:11 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
576 Posts
Hi Tim, heavy duty it is. I feel pretty confident that the frame won't warp during planking....plus, all that heavy structure will tie in nicely with the strain from the bollards when this tug goes to work. When I unscrewed the boat from the building board, during sanding, the frame didn't budge a bit...it is stiff. Today, I'll be filling in some areas in the stern with 1/4" balsa to give the planks something to tie into. Bob SF
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:33 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,360 Posts
That keel is whats giving the rigidity, thats gonna be a 100 year survivor.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:07 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
576 Posts
Hope so... Bob SF
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:28 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
576 Posts
Weymouth In Planks

Hi Everyone, I am happy to report that the novelty of planking has worn off. The Weymouth used 46 planks from the stack of 1/8" x 3/8" x 48" balsa and very few of the planks broke when applied. In the first picture, the hull has been rough sanded to get it to the right shape. In the second picture, a coat of Smart brand spackle (1/2 pt.) has been applied to fill all the clamp marks and pin holes. I like the Smart brand spackle (OSH) because it sands at about the same rate as balsa wood. Once dry, the electric sander will make an appearance to remove almost all of the spackle. The hard part of this process is to sand away enough material to get the shape I want, without sanding through the hull. Another couple of rounds of filler and sanding will take place before the hull is sealed with West System Epoxy. I'll probably do one round of just West System Epoxy to seal up the hull, and on the second coat, I'll apply a layer of fiberglass outside the hull. The inside of the hull will get at least two coats of epoxy to seal up the balsa planks. While the hull has anything wet on it, it is screwed back on the building board to make sure it dries (cures) straight. Bob SF
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:00 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,039 Posts
Lookin' real good .

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon