HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cambridge
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
Discussion
Excess motor wire

Wha to do with all this extra cable?
I've read somewhere not to shorten the motor wires. Is it ok to have the wire going down the arm and back on itself? Worried about any interference etc..

(Obviously will make it a lot neater than pictured)

Any advice and tips would be much appreciated
Jmm_jammy is offline Find More Posts by Jmm_jammy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Jul 2008
615 Posts
Shorten the motor wires and ESC wires so they meet in the middle - resolder the bullet connectors on the ends of the wires if you like bullet connectors or else solder the wires straight to each other if you prefer to do it that way.

I don't know of any reason not to shorten the motor wires except that it's annoying in the future if you need longer wires. You'll save weight and mess.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslahed View Post
Shorten the motor wires and ESC wires so they meet in the middle - resolder the bullet connectors on the ends of the wires if you like bullet connectors or else solder the wires straight to each other if you prefer to do it that way.

I don't know of any reason not to shorten the motor wires except that it's annoying in the future if you need longer wires. You'll save weight and mess.
I'm worried I wont have the motor connectors as strong as they are now if I re-solder them? Also would such little weight from each motor wire make any difference?
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:58 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,350 Posts
I would shorten them and add new bullet connectors. You can also braid them to help reduce rf noise.

The reason they often say not to shorten motor leads is related to close to the motor or on motors with short leads as they often just extend the motor windings which are enamel coated and are hard to resolder, you need to scrap off the enamel first. On these motors with long silicone wire leads it is not an issue, as the leads are connected to the windings and not just the windings themselves.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:24 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Cut the wires, lose the bullet connectors altogether. Direct solder and you will have better reliability.

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:47 AM
Joined Jul 2008
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm_jammy View Post
I'm worried I wont have the motor connectors as strong as they are now if I re-solder them? Also would such little weight from each motor wire make any difference?
If you use good quality (especially leaded) solder you will have stronger connections than you have now - factory soldering isn't known for it's reliability. Unless you are particularly cack handed you should be able to do a better job.

And if reliability is your no.1 concern, then do what i (and I'm guessing power) does and lose the bullet connectors and direct solder.

You wont save much weight but every little helps - and you'll have less wire vibrating about the place as the quadcopter flies which wont hurt either.

It's not critical but it's definitely better to do it this way.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, I will shorten the wires on the motors.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
Was just about to do this, and read on another forum apparently some motor wire have a coating on underneath which is extremely difficult to remove and get a solder to.
Will this be on Torxpower motors?
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:14 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm_jammy View Post
Was just about to do this, and read on another forum apparently some motor wire have a coating on underneath which is extremely difficult to remove and get a solder to.
Will this be on Torxpower motors?
Are the wires flexible or very stiff? If they are stuff they are probably the motor windings and will be coated with enamel.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:39 AM
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
Just to be awkward I'd say they are not stiff or flexible, a happy medium. Anyway, I stripped back one wire and it was bare wire and soldered into the bullet perfectly.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:01 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,350 Posts
If its a single solid core wire then it is the winding most likely, if its multiple stand wire you are probably good to resolder it.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:28 AM
What's a servo?
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
447 Posts
On a typical quad, using 3.5mm bullets, you save about ~80 grams of airframe weight by getting rid of bullet connectors and going the direct soldering route.

Plus the gain in reliability.
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack