SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Help!
New Guy Needs Help

HI, I am new to the RC game and have no clue what I'm doing. I got 2 toy helicopters for Christmas and I have no idea about them.

The first is a JXD 350V, it has a camera built into it. It's about 26" long and thats about all I've been able to find out about it.

I have found very little out about these models online and I've had no luck flying it. As soon as it gets off the ground it always go backwards and no matter how much I try to make it go forward it will not. Are these junk helicopters are perhaps this one is just defective?

The other one is a Interceptor 052 my Wife got me from RadioShack.

I have no real complaints about this one, It flys night and day different from the 350v, I know I'm a noob but why is that? I have no problem flying the interceptor in or outdoors, but the 350v just refuses to fly even on nice calm days.

Can anyone give me any insight on the certain Helis I have? Any does and dont's greatly appriciated. Thanks
hyoslvr is offline Find More Posts by hyoslvr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:39 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2012
638 Posts
peronally, if I were going to spend that much MJX F645 and get an airel photography kit that comes with it, or just a a keychain camera. You could even get a 120* wide angle one and spend about the same price.

co-axel are not great to learn on, FP is always the better choice.

my 2 cents.

NOW THAT I HAVE SAID THAT,

start with the intercepter 052 and start getting good with it, don't worry, its crashrpoofish. Whatever you do, don't start with the JXD, that thing is a much better heli.
jimmy boo is offline Find More Posts by jimmy boo
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:40 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
I have a Radio Shack one just like your little one (Stormwolf).

Super easy to fly inside. It flies itself, and anyone can pick it up
and fly around with no training.

Since these are both coaxial, neither will handle ANY wind.
Don't try to fly in winds over 2-3 MPH.

The sad part is, the big coaxials like your 350V are too big for
indoors, unless you have a really big empty shed or barn.

Since they are too big for inside, but not advanced enough to handle
wind outside, many spend most of the time on the shelf.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HK450GT Lights
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply's guys. They were both gifts so nothing lost, although If I knew then what I know now I could have helped them pick better.

Steve I think I get what your saying because I was actually making a comment to the wife the other day about the 350 being to big for indoors but not being to handle the wind outdoors. I live in south east Texas and although we truly never have zero winds, there were days when I felt that the 350 shoulda done at least decent. Oh well live and learn, I'll probably shelf the 350 and practice my butt off with the interceptor.

A Gentlemen on here was kind enough to PM some advise this morning, he recommended that I look into getting a BLADE mCX2 to learn true 4 channel operation. Anyone see anything wrong with that? I was looking at them and they are very affordable, cheaper than the 350 my father in law got me for XMAS. Thanks guys
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:03 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
The Radio shack one really does not teach you much, other than
help a little with orientation.

In many ways it will teach you bad habits, which you will
recognize when you start flying hobby grade heli's.

Get the good stuff from the start. My cheap 4 channel has
as much money dumped into it in 2 months as a good one
would have cost. I rack it up as a learning experience.

You will also fly more carefully with a more expensive bird.
Most of my crashes, I was being reckless, either by flying
in too much wind, diving too fast, hitting fixed objects, and so on.

Most of my parts I had to buy were from crash damage, so
it isn't fair to blame the helicopter, but I will anyway

The Blade mCX2 is a great place to start, but many say you should
skip coax and start with a fixed or collective pitch bird.

I started with a coaxial, as did many here, so I don't think it
really matters. If you are "bitten by the bug" you will be buying
bigger and better stuff soon anyways.

Biggest thing and most important is to get a good simulator and
controller that will hook up to the PC so you can practice with the
actual radio you will be flying with.

A regular 6 channel collective pitch helicopter is NOTHING like flying
a coaxial, and you would probably crash on the first flight.
So if your intention is to move up to these, do it now.
Just get a micro CP that can handle a few bumps.
Anything 250 size or bigger will pretty much destroy itself if you crash.

There are dozens of threads arguing about starting with a coax, and
probably the reason why he PM'ed you about the Blade.

Also, the Blade has a swashplate, making it fly more like the FP's.
Many coaxials don't have a swashplate (your big heli for example)
and without a swashplate you cannot fly in any wind at all.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Jan 02, 2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Thank you for all the advise Jeff. JimmyBoo the camera is not really a big concern to me. It just happened to come with the heli. So is that MJX F645 a FP is that correct? also is it 4 channel? sounds like that one may be my best bet. Also does the trasmitter that come with it able to plug into the computer or would I need a different one to do the simulaters on the comp? Thanks for taking the time to help a noob guys.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyoslvr View Post

Are these junk helicopters are perhaps this one is just defective?
If you have fun with them, and they get you into the hobby, then they served some purpose. But in the end they really are just toys, and yeah, some of us insensitive types call them junk - sorry.

Quote:

A Gentlemen on here was kind enough to PM some advise this morning, he recommended that I look into getting a BLADE mCX2 to learn true 4 channel operation.
It's a huge step up from the two you have, and a lot of people use it as a trainer. It's extremely stable and easy to fly and learn. But the stability means it wants to hover, and doesn't like flying around much. And it won't fly outside except on the very calmest days. So it's an excellent learning tool that will get boring real quick.

If you can get past the idea that it doesn't look like a bell 206 or airwolf, I think a quad like the blade MQX or the cheaper wltoys V929 would be a better trainer. It's almost as stable as that mcx2, but it will actually fly around. And better still is it's small enough to fly inside, but it'll also handle some light wind outside. You'll be flying one of these long after you'd get bored with that mcx2.

And once you decide you're going to put the time and money into really getting involved with the hobby look into a good simulator like phoenix or realflight.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlik View Post
If you have fun with them, and they get you into the hobby, then they served some purpose. But in the end they really are just toys, and yeah, some of us insensitive types call them junk - sorry.
It's cool. I wanted the truth or I wouldn't have asked. I dont get butt hurt easy, I got over that internet stuff long ago. The more I research and listen to you guys the more I'm thinking I want to get something very good from the start, since I already have 2 that aren't much. I'm gonna with either a FP or CP bird this time, and I'm gonna get into the simulator programs to start. Then If I really get into it, I will put a lot more into it. But a couple hundred bucks to start won't make or break me. What's the best FP or CP bird to get that not to cheap but at the same time not to much for a beginner? Thanks for your time guys
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:00 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
I'm gonna with either a FP or CP bird this time, and I'm gonna get into the simulator programs to start. Then If I really get into it, I will put a lot more into it. But a couple hundred bucks to start won't make or break me. What's the best FP or CP bird to get that not to cheap but at the same time not to much for a beginner? Thanks for your time guys
The quad is an FP heli. And I still think it's the best bang for the buck. All of the controls are the same as any other FP. Pretty much all of the "conventional" FP helis have a 45 flybar that over stabilizes them and limits what are capable of. A quad doesn't have those limitations but is still pretty stable for beginners. It can survive crashes that would mean repairs on a conventional FP.

This is nightflyyer evaluating the 929 (he's been around for a long time) At about 2:30 he takes it out and flies it. At about 3:30 he starts doing flips and rolls. You won't be doing flips and rolls with a conventional FP, not even with one of my older ones with a 90 flybar.

A "Flippin" Beetle. WLtoys V929 with Mod. (8 min 8 sec)
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
I went ahead and ordered a 929 like nightflyer is flying in the video. I figured for $55 what the heck! I'll practice with it for time being and see how good I get. Now on to the simulation stuff
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:02 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Simulators are like pickup trucks - some people like chevy, some ford, a few say dodge - you're gonna have to wade through all of it.

There are a few free ones - they work with game controllers or a real transmitter if you have the right cables for the transmitter. The oldest is FMS and it won't work with anything newer than windows XP. On vista and later windows has newer versions of directx, activex, etc, and FMS will give a bunch of errors that it can't find an old windows file that doesn't exist. You can find and install the old files, but it's not worth it.

I didn't have any trouble at all making helisim rc work. You need a game controller or a transmitter and cable. It's pretty basic and you'd outgrow it pretty quick, but it's free.

Helix rc has a free version, a little better than helisimRC. Also needs a controller.

This controller will work with them, and it comes with a simulator that I nothing about. If you're looking for a cheap option these are pretty much it, and you usually get what you pay for.

There is clearview at about 40 bucks. You still need some sort of controller. This was my first simulator and it helped me with the basics but when I got past hovering and started to actually fly around it began to feel more like a game than a simulator, not very realistic. A lot of people use it, so this where that ford/chevy thing starts. Clearview is a one man operation - the owner is the programmer, sales staff, support staff, janitor, etc. If you have a problem and says he can't help you, that's it - there's no one else to talk to.

I don't have realflight, but I do have access to an older version. I think it comes with a controller (not a transmitter) and only works with that controller, I may be wrong on that. It's one of the top two. Most hobby stores sell it and have a working computer set up to demo it.

And there's phoenix. You can buy phoenix with a real spektrum transmitter (dx5) that does work but you'll probably outgrow it. I've seen places sell it with a better spektrum transmitter (dx6i). You can buy it cheaper without a transmitter and use your own - go here and click on "What do I need to successfully use Phoenix R/C?" and it'll give you a list of transmitters that will work. All of the walkera transmitters listed are discontinued so ignore those unless you get a really good deal and only plan to use it with phoenix.
There is a member here (capt jack) who runs a free phoenix flight school. I haven't done it, but he gets good reviews from those who have.
Phoenix Simulator Flight School
I'd recomend phoenix and a dx6i radio, and I like dodge trucks.
I don't know everything about simulators, this isn't everything you ever wanted or need to know, and I'm a little biased like everyone else. You can either use the search option here and look for other simulator threads, (there are a bunch of "what sim should I buy" threads), or start a new one.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:23 AM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Thanks Karlik for that info. I was actually looking at phoenix and realflight both. Not sure on phoenix but on realflight when I put in my zip theres supposed to be a hobby store not to far from me with a demo set up like you had stated there may be. I was gonna get up and go check it out in the morning. Thanks pal.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:11 AM
V911 F45 Super CP
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
I went ahead and ordered a 929 like nightflyer is flying in the video. I figured for $55 what the heck! I'll practice with it for time being and see how good I get. Now on to the simulation stuff

The V929 is a good start at learning how the controls work on a 4 or 6 channel heli. You might also want to look into a V911, also made by WL Toys. It's a 4 channel micro heli that is very stable and extremely durable, and small enough to do circuits in your living room. While it won't do flips like the 929 will, it will help in learning orientation of a "regular" heli; tail-in, nose-in, etc.

I would hold off a bit on the F45. It's an excellent 4 channel FP, but too large to do much more than hover indoors. It's also not as durable as the smaller birds are. Once you're comfortable with 4 channel operation, go ahead and get the F45, find a large yard or small field, and let'er rip.
Mitch332 is offline Find More Posts by Mitch332
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:11 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
HI, I am new to the RC game and have no clue what I'm doing. I got 2 toy helicopters for Christmas and I have no idea about them.

The first is a JXD 350V, it has a camera built into it. It's about 26" long and thats about all I've been able to find out about it.

I have found very little out about these models online and I've had no luck flying it. As soon as it gets off the ground it always go backwards and no matter how much I try to make it go forward it will not. Are these junk helicopters are perhaps this one is just defective?

The other one is a Interceptor 052 my Wife got me from RadioShack.

I have no real complaints about this one, It flys night and day different from the 350v, I know I'm a noob but why is that? I have no problem flying the interceptor in or outdoors, but the 350v just refuses to fly even on nice calm days.

Can anyone give me any insight on the certain Helis I have? Any does and dont's greatly appriciated. Thanks
the JDX looks simular to my Syma s033g and to help it with foward speed I removed weight from the rear by taking off the tail boom supports and back fin and then add some weight to the nose of the bird. If the tail boom feels sturdy after removing the supports then u should be fine. Some people also modify the tai rotor for more power either gluing on pieces of larger size blades (cut main blade replacements) or getting a larger tail rotor fron another heli that fits. Good luck.
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:15 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Got my beetle in the other day. Been practicing with it for a couple days now, I'm really liking it. Thanks for the recommendation Karlik.

It flys a lot different than those coxials for sure, but I've already got the hang of it pretty well. I ran about 3 batteries worth just hovering around on the floor with out taking off, just learning the controls. Finally put it on 100% earlier and did a couple flips with it. Didn't have any problems at all.