HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:38 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Dec 2007
167 Posts
Hey Mendo,

It looks like it should be a good flyer and if I did my conversion correctly it should have plenty of power.

Joe
ripplewave is offline Find More Posts by ripplewave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:00 PM
Joined Dec 2007
167 Posts
Covering is complete. Now just need some trim!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:04 PM
Joined Dec 2007
167 Posts
Tail wheel made a difference in cg. I was able to move the battery to a much safer location just behind the firewall. As shown in next pic.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Dec 2007
167 Posts
That's the nose of the battery poking through the orignal firewall behind the new one. I feel much better about eliminating the potential of smashing the receiver and speed control. Now I just need to trim back those bolts to keep them from impaling the battery.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:52 AM
Joined Oct 2012
217 Posts
Any more progress on the build, Joe? It's looking great - I love to see older kits converted to electric. Wish I'd kept my 1978 Veron Fokker DVIII now, or at least drawn round the parts before building it.

In case anyone doesn't already know, there's more free Pilot plans here:

www.outerzone.co.uk

(plus over 3000+ other plans too, all instantly downloadable with no fuss. The guy who runs it - Steve - has done a magnificent job of collecting all these plans in one place, there's some classics here so I recommend you have a look).

Regards
Harry
Harry Rule is offline Find More Posts by Harry Rule
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:45 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
Outerzone ... love it - most of my plans come of there ...

There's one plan though he doesn't have and I would love to see it again ...

Veron 1 1/2 Strutter ..

I had one for years, flew it on the designed 3ch ... then added ailerons. Talk about slow fly graceful !

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:29 AM
Joined Dec 2007
167 Posts
Hey Harry,

Work schedule has been a little nuts so I haven't gotten to do much on the bird. I need to make a run to San Antonio to the LHS to get some trim material and a few different props to test out. That may be a week or so.

My first real successful flights were with Pilot Baby with a cox 049 QRC and a hobby shack single stick two channel radio. It was heavy but flew extremely well. Since that one I had a couple of other Pilot kits. They were and still are awesome when you can find one.

Converting this one has been a joy and I think it is going to fly well. The AUW is going to be around 24 oz. It could have been lighter with lighter pushrods, tailwheel etc, but its still within the design parameters.

Yes I have a very large collection of plans from Outerzone as well as hippocketaeronautics. Both are great sites and I am very pleased to see the myriad of old kit plans from birds I always wanted to build.

Joe
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:15 PM
Joined Oct 2012
217 Posts
I think that's the beauty of 'electrifying' these old glo-powered planes; we can save a hell of a lot of weight in the construction - no need for 1/4" sides and 1/16" ply doublers any more.

...in fact, I can't recall the last time I bought a sheet of 1/4" balsa since I turned electric

What trim scheme are you going to use, Joe? I think just one contrasting colour to the white would be good; a simple scheme often looks more effective than a complex scheme.

I'm sure your QB will look fantastic whatever you decide though.

Regards
Harry
Harry Rule is offline Find More Posts by Harry Rule
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined Dec 2007
167 Posts
Hey Harry,

Although I liked the sounds and smell of glow, I don't think it's enough to outweigh the benefits of electric. Less fuss with starting, less field equipment and no clean up.

If you look at the plans, although its black and white, I'm considering something simple like that with red and orange. I wish I had a decent way to make the decals.

Anyway hopefully I get to the big city next week.

Ciao
Joe
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:07 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Outerzone ... love it - most of my plans come of there ...

There's one plan though he doesn't have and I would love to see it again ...

Veron 1 1/2 Strutter ..

I had one for years, flew it on the designed 3ch ... then added ailerons. Talk about slow fly graceful !

Nigel
A little off topic, but have a little nostalgia:

Electric powered model Sopwith Strutter (0 min 27 sec)

Doesn't someone in England sell Veron plans? I never had a Strutter, but a clubmate did way back and it was a delightful flyer.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:09 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
A little off topic, but have a little nostalgia:
Doesn't someone in England sell Veron plans? I never had a Strutter, but a clubmate did way back and it was a delightful flyer.

D
You rotten thing !! Nearly had tears in my eyes watching that ... and I flew mine often in same style field as well ...

The guy in USA who laser cuts to plans offers a partial kit laser cut with plans ... I may go that route as it would be better to build as original and not in foam I reckon.

With ailerons - you still needed to use bootfulls of rudder ... but what a sweetie ... I originally had a OS 20 up front, but it was a calm day flyer ... then I swapped out for an Enya 35 ... that made a big difference and sound was more lower .. plodding.

I have so many models to sort out ... and now itching to add the Strutter ...

Nigel
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:23 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Nigel
Clubmate of mine way back had the Veron Strutter. Midsummer, up in the north of Scotland, our club had a fly-in on the Saturday nearest to the longest day - which up there meant a 'sunset' near midnight. Aim after the BBQ was to be the last to fly. Pat and his Strutter won that one year - it was well gone eleven PM, he's out up the runway and flying the Strutter CL fashion round himself, right on the edge of losing sight of it. Really good part - he'd the tranny on a neckstrap, throttle set to maintain height at around five feet and so he could hold his beer in his left hand while steering the Strutter with his right hand.

Recall it had an OS Max 20 two banger, which did fine. I still have documentation aplenty on the type, and the Veron kit's RET dihedral is not much more than 'scale' so fitting ailerons with anything more fussy than a marker pen and maybe an airbrush would be down to an urge to complicate life as much as anything.

Always fancied doing the single seat bomber with a working drop...

I had Veron's DVIII - good flier, but 'stand a long way off' scale and nowhere near tge class of their Strutter.

And now back to our normal programming...

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:03 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
It's funny that it was one of my longest surviving models but one I don't have a photo of !

If anyone has a 'free' copy of the plan ?? I seem to remember it was in two sheets ... one for fuselage and second for wings.

I did do two mods ... the struts I fitted by using small ply tabs glued to the ribs and bent wire through holes in them. They were held by the fishing wire trace used for rigging ... trace ends at fuselage had threaded bowden cable ends so I could adjust to 'twist' wing etc.

She could fly so slow ... and that enya with big prop just pop pop popped around !!

Nigel
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:51 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
Settled for ther Aeromodeller Plan Strutter in the end of Outerzone ..

Once I get through present list - will look at building it ... and doing a build thread

Nigel
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:32 AM
Joined Dec 2007
167 Posts
Ok, so made some progress, this time it has been testing the motor system. Not sure if anyone is familiar with hobbypartz's exceed rocket motors but that's what I ended up using.

motor: http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma70-2215-800kv.html
ESC: http://www.hobbypartz.com/proton30aair.html
Battery: http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1600-3s1p-40c-3333.html

I opted for a lower kv Motor in order to swing a bigger prop (im not so much in to speed as I am a solid climb and smooth aerobatics) just how much bigger of a prop I wasn't quite ready for.

I ran the numbers in rc tools for android on my nexus 7 and it was telling me in the static thrust tool that a 9x6 prop would produce 24.23 oz of thrust at 137.74 watts. This would be better than a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. Not bad I thought, so I ordered a bunch of different 9" props at various pitches.

Well I don't have a scale to measure thrust and the battery was dead in my tach, but I tested the different props using my watt meter. Here are the results:

TF Wood 9x4 6.3 Amps 78 Watts
MA Elec glass 9x4 15 amps 82 Watts
APC E grey 9x6 7.7 Amps 91 Watts
TF Wood 10x3.5 8.7 Amps 103 Watts
RevUp Wood 10x6 9 Amps 115 Watts
Tatone Wood 11x6 12Amps 142 Watts

(on the sizes larger the 9" All I had were regular wood props)

The motor, according to the web page, is rated at 180 watts. It may take a 12x7 or 13x6 to get close to that number. However, I was thinking I would be fine with the 130-150 watt range but it doesn't look like the 9" props are going to work. Ground clearance gets iffy with the 11".

So without knowing the actual thrust (I think I am going to the fishing supply store tomorrow to get a digital fish scale.) Will the 10x6 at 115 watts be enough?

Could the higher amp draw with the MA electric prop indicate a higher static thrust? The prop has an under camber which may allow it to be more efficient.

Any thoughts, ideas, discussions, and suggestions welcomed.

Joe
Last edited by ripplewave; Feb 09, 2013 at 12:45 AM.