HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:01 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Dec 2007
181 Posts
Ok, a couple of bare naked mock up shots

It's coming along pretty well. I half wanted to bolt the wing but when looking at the engineering involved, I opted for the plans version of rubber band wings. (I bet the rubber bands last longer on this electric version than the glow version )

Being as I don't have any of the preformed cockpit parts I opted for a standard Sig 7" canopy. It looks ok, but I think an 8" or a 9" may have fit a little better.

Speaking of canopies, does anyone out there have a good trick for attaching? what about filleting? do you cover the fillet?

Now its time to cut the aileron stock. Picked up a brand new fine tooth bandsaw blade so that should take some of the pain out of it.

p.s. sorry for the quality of the pics. Camera must have been foggy after going outside in the cold from the warm inside.
ripplewave is offline Find More Posts by ripplewave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:43 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,675 Posts
Hi,

Do you have a hatch for battery access?

Thanks, Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:02 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Cameras do that, usually at very bad moments.

Loverly 'nekked' shot, the model has a lovely structure and you've done a good job of it.

Eyeballing the layout, would guesstimate the rear end of the battery will be just behind the CG.

Canopy gluing ? Yuk, in a nutshell. Canopy glue or RC56 will stick a canopy to balsa, but then you'd have to cover around the canopy. One trick I get along with well is to attach the canopy with small round headed screws - two either side, plus one at each end should secure a well fitting canopy like yours.

Good luck!

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Dec 2007
181 Posts
Hey Mickydee,

The bottom won't be sheeted, nor hatches made until the battery location is nailed down.

Dereck,

Thanks for the input on the canopy. Why do some things have to be so difficult? If I use screws I will have to install something for the screws to catch hold of. Maybe some inconspicuous hardwood tabs..

You may be right about the cg. I did, however, cut out part of the original firewall, one to lighten it and two to allow the battery to be pushed forward if needed. Once I get the ailerons installed i should be able to arrange radio and motor equipment to see just where it all will lie.

As the build progresses, I am really pleased with the lines of this plane. The tail moment is nice and long and with the ample control surfaces on the back it should be fairly maneuverable.

Joe
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:22 PM
Joined Dec 2007
181 Posts
Dereck, you were right!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:46 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Joe
What I do, after a fair number of both electrocutions and own-design electrics, is build as much of the big bits as I can to where I can bolt on things like the motor and UC. Next comes assembling the model - the wing can be bolted in by then, tailfeathers may have to be pinned or taped on. Servos can be dropped into the fuselage - I'll have fitted the control rods for the tail surfaces by then, but they will still be over-long, just in case.

Then I check to see how balance is going. A fudge factor is needed to allow for covering, but the clever trick is that if it is going awray, I don't have the servos, battery nor its hatch 'nailed down'.

The one thing I try desperately to avoid is looking at a complete model and thinking on the lines of 'how do I get the battery in, and isn't it a pity the CG is three inches too far aft'.

Though not usually in such nice language...

I always aim to have all the expensive electronics bar the ESC behind the battery. LiPos might be lighter than NiMh, but they can still do a number on little electronic packages in an abrupt stop situtation

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:57 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,972 Posts
There's something beautiful about uncovered balsa / ply structure. I really love to see people keep traditional work going.

It's pity that such as Laserworks are not available where I live .. i have loads of plans that would be fabulous to build again.

When I build with foam - I try to keep as much as possible traditional style ... such as wing ribs etc. Fuselage is the biggest problem though as original Pilot kits used lightened Lite-Ply ... foam cannot have such lightening as it doesn't have the strength..... resulting in full form sides.

Lovely ... really looking fwd to seeing the flight of this QB10L ...

My QB10H was a difficult maiden ... needed re-alignment of flying surfaces etc. as it's so much lighter than the original version ...

QBee 30-12-2012 maiden with credits (4 min 1 sec)

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:27 AM
Joined Dec 2007
181 Posts
Niglel,

wow that looked like a very windy day!! But glad to see she made it down in one piece. Looks like it should be a great flyer for a calm day!.

Dereck,

I am putting the receiver and ESC as far up in the top of the fuse as possible, then in the event of a mishap, hopefully the battery goes shooting underneath them both. The battery of course being the heaviest element in the plane, it is difficult to find a perfect location with all considerations. But I think I will be ok.

Joe
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Dec 2007
181 Posts
I've been busy with work, blah, but I did manage to cover the tail feathers!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:55 PM
Joined Dec 2007
181 Posts
Didn't get much done on the plane today, but I did manage to build a new work bench. That small one can now go back to its regular duties, a building place for rubber power ff.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:49 PM
Joined Dec 2006
8 Posts
Joe (Ripplewave), is doing a bang up job working out the bugs in his building project of the electrified QB 10L.

We also just wanted to make a comment to Solentlife in Latvia that we ship laser cut parts packs all over the world. It is not as expensive as it sounds.

Eddie Taylor
Lazer Works
http://www.lazer-works.com/
Action Ed is offline Find More Posts by Action Ed
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2007
181 Posts
Well thanks Eddie, You guys did a bang up job of cutting the parts!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:35 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Ed View Post
Joe (Ripplewave), is doing a bang up job working out the bugs in his building project of the electrified QB 10L.

We also just wanted to make a comment to Solentlife in Latvia that we ship laser cut parts packs all over the world. It is not as expensive as it sounds.

Eddie Taylor
Lazer Works
http://www.lazer-works.com/
After posting - I had a look at your site and I was impressed ... in fact turning over idea to maybe order the Sopwith Strutter !

I used to fly the UK Veron Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter years ago .....

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:31 PM
Joined Dec 2007
181 Posts
It's been a couple of days. But I've made progress. Got the fuse and tail feathers covered. The ailerons made, linkage installed and now the wing is ready to cover.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:58 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Had one of these AGES ago with a OS .15 and Kraft series 76, loved it.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member