HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:14 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Dec 2007
164 Posts
Build Log
Pilot QB 10L electrified!

Now that it's the building season and finishing the Pilot Micro Star, I figured another plans built Pilot "kit" would be awesome.

I do have a brand new Thunder Tiger .10 in the box I could use for this but I think I will go ahead and electrify it with an Emax BL2215/20 (1200 KV) motor.

I had Ratz from hippocketaeronautics print the plans and then sent them to Lazer-Works/Action Hobbies to have a kit cut.

Ratz did an excellent job cleaning up the plans and printing them in a timely manner. I highly recommend his service. (and his site is pretty awesome as well)

Lazer Works did an excellent job in cutting the kit to plan specs. He will make changes to the plans if you ask him to.

Anyway, let's see how this one goes!
ripplewave is online now Find More Posts by ripplewave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:34 PM
Joined Dec 2007
164 Posts
The fuse is almost done! Pretty straightforward except I didn't want to curve 1/8" sheeting on the top and opted for stringers.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:56 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Looking at your kit of parts and the tapered wing ribs I just drew up and cut out by hand, laser cut parts become ever more attractive!

'Pilot' kits were awesome in their day. We got them in England not long after I learned to fly RC in the early 1980s and they were head and shoulders above all else in both building and flying quality. Great to see you revive this design - though it could look a little 'different' minus the cylinder and silencer sticking up out of the nose

Agree with you on not trying to bend 1/8" sheet around the front top decking. Those stringers will look good under the covering, kind of 'nearly old timer'.

Suggest you figure out a battery hatch and where things are going to go before you get to looking at a finished model on the bench, while thinking 'now, how do I get the battery in, and why is it so tail-heavy.' Though not so bad at .10 glow sizes, an electric motor and ESC is going to be lighter than an engine. So it's way better to sort those issues out before you get too far in - adding dead weight to achieve the CG when moving the battery and servos forwards would have done the same is not smart.

'Electrocution' is well stocked with that sort of pitfall.

Good luck, great project

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Dec 2007
164 Posts
Thanks Dereck for the encouragement,

I am thinking of closing up the front end with some sort of cowl or not.

I am ahead of you on planning for access and. Its kind of why I like building the fuse first makes planning for everything much easier. I used lightweight balsa for the stringers on the turtle deck and will use lighter sheeting for the bottom after the cg. Also the tail feathers will go on a diet.

All the pilot kits I've had experience with have been great flyers. And my electrified micro star is a joy to fly. She has a great flight envelope and almost doesn't stall. She just kind of gets mushy without a tragic break.

Joe
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:14 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
I just scratch built a QB10H in foam .... and fitted electric ..

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68968

I had a QB10H back in the 1980's .... along with a few other Pilot Kit models ... they certainly were some of the best available then.

Nearly all their plans are available on the Outerzone web-site.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:17 PM
Joined Dec 2007
164 Posts
Hey Nigel,

That was a good looking foamy of the QB10! I have an arf version of it from Thunder Tiger and a spare fuse and wing. Since I have the spare parts I thought about converting it into a STOL type plane with wing slots, flaps, etc etc. someday.

I have just about every electronic plan of the Pilot kits that are out there. I also have a few kits lying about. They really were high quality stuff and though they were machined vs laser cut, I think they would compete with todays kits.

Joe
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:27 PM
Joined Dec 2007
164 Posts
wing ribs going on a diet. Hindsight is such a beautiful thing. Why didn't I just ask Lazer Works to lighten the ribs for me??
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:15 AM
Joined Dec 2007
164 Posts
Ok a couple of update pics. Wing is all but sanded and le shaped. Ailerons and their hookups are next.

So far as it sits the weight is around 6.5 oz. I think I will beat my goal of 25 oz. with ease!

p.s. Just got a note from UPS that the plane's propulsion system has arrived! So now I can work on locating radio equipement and batteries, etc etc.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:30 PM
Joined Dec 2007
164 Posts
Finally got the propulsion system for the bird.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Dec 2007
164 Posts
Being relatively new back to the hobby I'm having to learn all about brushless systems. Back when I was flying before brushless was for people with fat pockets so it was always glow or brushed with limited success. I like this brushless stuff.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:14 PM
too old to 3d
United States, GA, Peachtree City
Joined Aug 2000
1,136 Posts
Looking good. This is my type of model.
Scott C is offline Find More Posts by Scott C
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Dec 2007
164 Posts
Thanks Scott.

Scale is nice but sport planes have less fuss. Lazer works is selling cut parts for this for$29 plus shipping. Not bad for a blast from the past.

Joe