HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:42 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Help!
GoPro Hero 2 Live Video Out Examples...

I found out my Hero 2 has no lag when connected to the composite live video out port. My problem is that I'm having a hard time finding raw live footage of others successfully flying with this cam.

Anyone have footage they recorded from their ground station? Still waiting on my vTx and FPV gear in the mail.

Any help/videos highly appreciated!
RxFPV is offline Find More Posts by RxFPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:47 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
I've got video

My Penguin is setup bare bones. GPHero2 live out to my VTX. I'm also recording at the same time. Hope this footage helps you.

My videos are on youtube.

Just search for macawilial1

Hope that helps!!!
macawilial is offline Find More Posts by macawilial
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:51 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
First hit on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ero2+live+feed
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:56 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxFPV View Post
Anyone have footage they recorded from their ground station? Still waiting on my vTx and FPV gear in the mail.
This was recorded on my laptop when I was testing some stuff the other day. This is from the Liveout on the GoPro. Like you I don't have any noticeable lag via my composite setup.

MinimOSD testing on Skyhunter (0 min 12 sec)
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Excellent! Exactly what I was looking for. Details on vTx-vRx??

Daemon, I already watched every possible video with those keywords but only found a few videos with details on setup. Just seeing if RCG members have any videos hiding (behind keywords) on youtube or from their personal stash. Thanks though, some forget to look for the obvious!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:18 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
So your question really has nothing at all to do with the GoPro then..
"The setup" is pretty general and nothing about is is specific
to whether one chooses to use GoPro or other camera as flight camera.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:33 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,971 Posts
flown through my gopro

12-31 Last epic FPV of 2012 Flown with Dragonlink! Recordsetting for me! (4 min 26 sec)
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,377 Posts
Quote:
Excellent! Exactly what I was looking for. Details on vTx-vRx?? I already watched every possible video with those keywords but only found a few videos with details on setup.
The VTX and RX is irrelevant but in this case was a TS352 and 805. I've run a similar setup on 900mhz with success. The setup is simply running from the video out to my OSD or VTX.

Every one of my videos since May 20th of 2011 has been through my video out. Some people will argue it's "not the preferred setup". I'm personally in the school of thought that if it fits your application then use it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:57 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
So your question really has nothing at all to do with the GoPro then..
"The setup" is pretty general and nothing about is is specific
to whether one chooses to use GoPro or other camera as flight camera.

The GoPro is the constant in an equation of different setups...

I understand what you're saying, but the reason I ask about vTx-vRx is the live out image quality of the GoPro will ultimately be affected. I know if you had any other cam connected you will still receive the same noise/interference from the link, but I wanted to see some examples through the lens of a GoPro. (being a wide FOV, CMOS camera)

Each "example" video will look different, and seeing the GoPro video quality from a wide assortment of FPV gear will help determine if the camera provides a good enough image quality to use in different applications.

Just like why typicalaimster's video looks different than the video in the link you posted. Different TxRx and antenna, but the same camera...

One could assume the GoPro is a terrible FPV cam on a bad link, or they could assume it's a great camera on a good link, just nice to know the other variables.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,377 Posts
Quote:
One could assume the GoPro is a terrible FPV cam on a bad link, or they could assume it's a great camera on a good link, just nice to know the other variables.
Yes which talking to a few others that are in the area.. They noticed the GoPro isn't as optimal for them during murky days. Aka the light sensitivity isn't what they are expecting. That's why they switched back to a onboard camera. For me the GP meets my needs for my style of flying in the conditions I fly in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:39 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
A bad link will ruin any camera's view. A good link can make low-spec cameras look
really good. Information on good and bad links (Tx/Rx, antennas and filtering) is
*all over* this forum and others. Arbitrarily limiting yourself to those that
include GoPro as the flight camera will severely limit what you can learn.

As far as the GoPro, attached image shows why I don't use it (Hero HD and Hero2) as a flight camera.
Hero3 Black seems to have a less contrasty live output and much better low light
handling, but I simply don't trust the camera's stability enough to try it as a flight camera.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:59 AM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
A bad link will ruin any camera's view. A good link can make low-spec cameras look
really good.
Yes, I stated that in my post. Although a good link cannot make a low-spec cam look better than if it were hardwired.

Quote:
Information on good and bad links (Tx/Rx, antennas and filtering) is *all over* this forum and others.
I agree, it's where I started to learn about RC/Video setups.

Quote:
Arbitrarily limiting yourself to those that include GoPro as the flight camera will severely limit what you can learn.
Yes, but that has nothing to do with my original question. I'm simply looking for real live video out recordings from the base station of FPVers using a GoPro Hero 2. vTx-vRx information is useful to understand why the recorded video quality looks the way it does from the ground station. Using a high quality video link will ultimately show the capabilities of the GoPro Hero 2 live video out function.....

Quote:
As far as the GoPro, attached image shows why I don't use it (Hero HD and Hero2) as a flight camera.
Hero3 Black seems to have a less contrasty live output and much better low light
handling, but I simply don't trust the camera's stability enough to try it as a flight camera.
I've seen your picture in another thread, but to me it doesn't properly represent live video. Can you show me a video where this happens? It would be nice to know if that's an extreme case or common throughout flights.

Post your live-out videos, any information on gear used would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:24 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
It's very common whenever the sky is significantly brighter than the ground, which occurs
on overcast days, and near sunrise, and sunset, which all happen to be times when
there's the least wind, making it good times for FPV piloting.
Anyway, good luck finding whatever it is you're looking for.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:52 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,865 Posts
Why all this obsession with using GoPro for FPV. Sure the GoPro makes the best HD video. But is that what you really want from flying FPV? What about enjoying the actual flying? Why not focus on that which makes it a more natural and immersive experience?

For me, it has been half a year since I last put one of my GoPros on a plane. I will stick a #16 cam most times, or no HD cam at all. Gopro is such a blocky heavy thing it really reduces the performance of most planes and then there is the added risk of losing more than my gold wedding ring is worth.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:07 AM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, good luck finding whatever it is you're looking for
Sorry, you just don't get it...maybe start with reading my posts again.

Is it opposite day around here?