HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:27 AM
Crasherof all things foam
Indiana..near KY..YUK!!
Joined Nov 2003
262 Posts
Guillow's SBD Dauntless conversion

There it is...this is the 2nd balsa kit I have built...the other being 24 years ago and that was for show...

Got the pins, wax paper, CA and building board. I'm not looking forward to building the movable control surfaces...any other tips?

I gotta give props to Larry and his Avenger build thread that got my juices flowing....
Dog1 is offline Find More Posts by Dog1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2003, 02:59 PM
Go easy , go electric .
The Dark Side of the Moon
Joined Apr 2003
165 Posts
Had one of those in my hands at the LHS 2 days ago but didn't buy it . Keep us posted , like to see how it works out .
DIAMONDBACK is offline Find More Posts by DIAMONDBACK
Old Dec 18, 2003, 05:29 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,544 Posts
I started building one. Got the fuse almost finished then got my Molt Models Hellcat. Haven't gotten back to it yet. I bet it will be a good flyer but a lot of work. I'll be watching how yours comes out.

Good luck
Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Dec 18, 2003, 07:19 PM
Indiana..near KY..YUK!!
Joined Nov 2003
262 Posts
I need all that luck and then some Jim.....I'm in the stringing process now....it's been a bit of a PITA...I guess mine was cut on the die with the dullest teeth in the world...

I had thought that maybe, just maybe, that they had upgraded to laser cutting, but just like 24 years ago, the die cutting is the same..

I'll get pics of the fuse up late tonight or in the AM....
Old Dec 18, 2003, 08:57 PM
BOSS
New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
I did a conversion. Long time ago. Try and search for the thread..I dont think there were alot of posts.....

Jon
j_z_123 is offline Find More Posts by j_z_123
Old Dec 19, 2003, 07:25 AM
Waxahachie, TEXAS
Joined Apr 2002
208 Posts
I see Guillows hasn't changed the SBD kit, looks the same as when I built it back in 1973. The die-crunching was the same then! LOL. Make sure you have plenty of #11 knife blades and cut around the parts outline. I built mine as a gas powerd(.049) freeflight model. It flew ok, but was a little heavy with all the scale details. I remember it being an easy build, and it really looks good when finished. Good luck on your build.

Larry
Larry J Sinor is offline Find More Posts by Larry J Sinor
Old Dec 19, 2003, 08:53 AM
Indiana..near KY..YUK!!
Joined Nov 2003
262 Posts
Here is the fuse-

The plane for building it as a display are more detailed than the ones for "U-control" or rubber freeflight, so there is a lot to leave to the builders imagination.

Since I'm going to plan on crashing...er...I mean flying it, I have to build it with movable control surfaces. I really wish that Guillow's would include better instructions on building those. But I think I can do it...my big questions is whether I will have ailerons or not..I want them, so I think I will build them.

Larry, you are right...24 years ago I built a Mustang from them...I was frustrated as hell of that kit, and all those emotions came flooding back after I started the kit....however I have gotten farther on this one than the last one..
Old Dec 19, 2003, 09:10 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,544 Posts
On my plane, I replaced all the balsa stringers with basswood for more strength. I agree that the die cutting is horrible. Takes a lot of filling to get a good fit for the stringers. You have already gotten further along than I did before putting it aside. Right now, I've got 3 unfinished models. The Dauntless, Earl Stahl's P-40, and a Sopwith Gordon Bennet Racer. I have threads for the P-40 and the Sopwith on the scale forum.

Since building my Molt Hellcat, I would definitly build the Dauntless with ailerons.

Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Dec 19, 2003, 09:54 AM
Waxahachie, TEXAS
Joined Apr 2002
208 Posts
Lookin good! That was a fast build on the fusalage. Jim is right, you defianatly want ailerons,and they are really easy to do.
I built an SBC HELLDIVER out of blue foam and thought with its big tail I wouldn't need ailerons. Was I ever wrong! After six spirling crashs, she is now just a hanger queen. Now I don't leave home with out them.

At the rate you are building, looks like you will finish your build before mine.

Here is a shot of the Helldiver, hope it will inspire you to keep on with the Dauntless. I know you will be proud of her when you get finished. I'm getting excited just thinking about what it will look like all dressed up and ready to fly.

Larry
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:21 AM
Indiana..near KY..YUK!!
Joined Nov 2003
262 Posts
That Helldiver is SWEET!!

I was lucky in that my wife and kids left me alone yesterday and I was able to work without any interuptions...I have a one track mind, which makes my wife mad, and when I start something I just keep going.

Now for the wing.....

I had to build the track for the canopy, because it's not a SBD without the canopy open in flight

I really hope that Guillow's does two things-

1. Convert to laser cutting

2. Research the growing electric flight options and update their instructions to do conversions.

When finished, their kits are awesome, but they need to tweak the instructions for R/C conversions and update to laser cutting.
Last edited by Dog1; Dec 19, 2003 at 10:28 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 12:31 PM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
1. Guillows has converted some of their kits to laser cutting. They started at least a year ago. You may have gotten some old stock.

2. Bah feh. It's not rocket science to do an R/C conversion. All the scale control surfaces are marked on the plans. Besides, there's more than one way to skin a cat, and a company that's trying to come up with a way to do it on a minimal R&D budget will probably get it wrong anyway.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Dec 19, 2003, 01:26 PM
Indiana..near KY..YUK!!
Joined Nov 2003
262 Posts
1. The answer I got from Guillow's was that only the series 200 planes was laser cut, this is not a series 200.

2. Well unlike you, I'm not a rocket scientist, this is my first attempt at a R/C conversion, so please spare me...
Old Dec 19, 2003, 02:52 PM
Waxahachie, TEXAS
Joined Apr 2002
208 Posts
That's gonna look good with a sliding canopy! Glad you went with that option.

If you go with ailerons, it might be a good idea to figure out linkage's and routing before building wing's.

Don't worry about the RC conversion. Their are a lot of us here who will help you any way we can. I'm not a rocket scientest either. I went to the school of hard knocks. Tought me to be humble over the years. Keep up the good work.

Larry
Old Dec 19, 2003, 03:40 PM
Indiana..near KY..YUK!!
Joined Nov 2003
262 Posts
Thanks Larry!!

I went instead and started the tail feathers over the wing...I have been thinking about the servo placement since yesterday...

I want to try it like you did, and place the servos in the wing....

Did you have any ideals that I can mull over?
Old Dec 20, 2003, 03:55 AM
Waxahachie, TEXAS
Joined Apr 2002
208 Posts
Are you going to make the wings removable or permanet ?

Here is a shot of the aileron servo mounting in the Dumas Hurricane. The wing on this plane is removable. Had to mount servo on it's side due to wing depth. Used one piece of Sullivan golden rod secured at ailerons and servo with Dubro mini E/Z connectors.