SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:56 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,666 Posts
Alert
Defective ESC on Flyzone Millennium Master TxR!

Happy New Year everyone!

I hope everyone has had a nice Holidays with family and close friends.

Let me state very CAREFULLY that I am very satisfied with the Flyzone Millennium Master as it is a delightful flying model and true park flyer type which I define it as a good model that has the potential to zip along at good flying mild Sport Speeds but, yet have a very nice Slow Speed manners / Flying Characteristics.

It also is truely durable so, when Hobbico says that the material is AeroCell™ foam then, you better believe it as being durable because my model crashed and I was able to repair it without any issues using a regular house-hold hair dryer with one heat setting at 1875 Watts.

To view follow along of my experiences with this model then, please go to:

Failed Maiden Attempt:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799205

Mini-Build Review:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1798332

Okay, now that we got that out of the way, I like to provide you all with my findings after a few troubleshooting of what I found with the model and reasons why it crashed during the First Maiden Attempt and subsequent 2nd maiden attempt.

================================================== =======

Okay.....latest status on the Test Setup.....I will provide you with written status in the meantime the Video is being uploaded.

I can accurately declare that it "IS NOT" the STOCK provided 3-Cell, 1800mAH, Lithium Polymer Battery that caused the abrupt Throttle stoppage during both failed Maiden attempts, nevertheless, the 2nd try the model did take-off and land safely.

RESULTS:

The motor stopped abruptly right at 1/2 Throttle with just 8-AMPs of current draw. This is exactly what caused my model to crash on Monday morning 12-31-2012 such that caused the propeller and propeller adapter to detach from the motor output shaft.

I have eliminated the suspect STOCK provided 3-cell, 1800mAH, Lithium Polymer battery as I used the larger capacity Turnigy 3-Cell, 2200mAH with a higher discharge rating of 25C.

I am down to the ESC and Motor. My next step is to remove the STOCK ESC and replace it with a known good working E-Flite 30-AMP Switch Mode Brushless ESC.

Here is the Video as Promised showing the STOCK MM with the exception of the larger capacity Turnigy 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C discharge, Lithium Polymer battery and noticed that the Motor abruptly stopped then, restarted, it would loosen any tightly applied Collect type Propeller Adapter!!

I am presently as I type this, installing "a" known good operating E-Flite 30-AMP Switch Mode ESC!

Stay tuned.

Flyzone Millenium Master Power System Issues 01-01-2013 (4 min 1 sec)

================================================== ========
Okay, again providing you all written status on the following:

RESULTS: (Using Complete STOCK Setup except E-Flite 30-AMP Switch Mode ESC):

This confirms that the STOCK 30-AMP ESC was the one at fault for the erratic throttle behavior (Motor Stoppage at high RPMs then, restart). In the video the use of a known good operating E-Flite 30-AMP Switch Mode ESC was used and the results are clear, motor commutation was NOT being performed correctly by the STOCK Flyzone 30-AMP Provided ESC.

Flyzone Millenium Master Power System Issues PART-2 (Stock ESC was at Fault) 01-01-2012 (3 min 46 sec)

================================================== ========
I have communicated with Hobbico and they are shipping me a Shipping Label to ship the entire model with defective ESC and they promised me a 3 day turn-a-around to ship me back a new model.

Again, thanks so much for those that have understood my situation!!!!

Update:

the good part "is" that I develop a nice one page E-Mail and sent it out to Electronicsupport@Hobbico dot com and when I called right at 11:04am Eastern, the guy who answered had my E-Mail opened on his computer screen!

Very nice gentleman and told me that they need the crashed model back, even though I fixed it, as it would be better this route instead of sending me a complete AIRFRAME only. That is what I was asking for, just an AIRFRAME!!! It looks like I will be getting a Brand New TxR back in exchange. He was amazed of the level of detailed that I had provided!!!

Yes, being taken care of, so far so good.....
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:53 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,666 Posts
My Beloved MM has been Shipped back to HOBBICO!!

Gals and Guys,

My Beloved Millennium Master has been shipped back to HOBBICO! I am sad because I worked on her so much and its like seeing a part of the family leave for good. I asked HOBBICO even though it will be their property as soon as it arrives not to throw away the model after they get done doing whatever it is that they do (Since my Videos were not enough and I guess they have their procedures in Warranty Issues)...because I spent quite a good amount of time repairing the model and most importantly removing the Vertical Stab and Horizontal Stab without damaging the model and you can still place back the Tail Feathers and fly it!

I do hope the model is shown off as a demonstrator or at least to show case it as a testimonial to HOBBICO's claim to Durability using the AeroCell™ foam Foam material.

I have attached some pictures showing the careful packing and went to Bob's Hobby Center (Orlando, Florida) to pickup an Outer Shipping box made exactly for the MM

So Long Millennium Master

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:49 PM
Old retired Electronics Fart
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Mar 2007
426 Posts
I would say it is your ESC is loosing timing a higher motor speed. They can reprogram it. That should fix it.

Good Luck
Charles B.
Charles B is offline Find More Posts by Charles B
Old May 31, 2013, 11:41 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
810 Posts
I know the link is old, but I just got one of these airplanes and the positive red wire fell out of the bullet on the ESC! very poor solder, and the black lead has exposed solder as well. otherwise it seems a nice model-I only bought it because of the combo with the Tactic radio I wanted to try out.
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
Old Jun 01, 2013, 03:39 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2004 View Post
I know the link is old, but I just got one of these airplanes and the positive red wire fell out of the bullet on the ESC! very poor solder, and the black lead has exposed solder as well. otherwise it seems a nice model-I only bought it because of the combo with the Tactic radio I wanted to try out.
The Tactic Radio gear is wonderful! No Bind Plug to potentially ruin the Pins and I have flown mine with the Tactic and very impressed. HOBBICO sent me another 4-Channel Tactic Radio and 6-Channel RX combo for my troubles with the model that came with defective ESC.
RCG Plus Member