SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:58 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Help!
First Quadcopter Build, advice appreciated!

So, after researching for quite a bit, these are the parts I came up with for a quad which I'm hoping would be relatively agile while still being able to carry a camera.

I've been staring at this list for the long part of today and I would love to get some fresh input on it. According to eCalc, this should work pretty well, giving me at least 9 minutes worth of hover..

Flight Controller
Crius All in one Pro v2

Frame
Turnigy Talon Quadcopter (V2.0) Carbon F..
*This item usually ships within 3 days $50.07

Motors
4x Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2826-1130kv Brus..
This item is on backorder* $61.92

ESCs
4x HobbyKing 20A BlueSeries Brushless Speed.. $9.99

Batteries
2x Zippy-K Flightmax 2500mah 3S1P 20C Lipol.. $22.78
ZIPPY Flightmax 4000mAh 3S1P 20C Hardcas.. $26.13

Battery Charger
Turnigy Accucel-8 150W 7A Balancer/Charg.. $42.44

Props
4x 8045 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc.. $11.16

Lights
LED Ring 145mm White w/10 Selectable Mod.. $5.40
2x Turnigy High Density R/C LED Flexible St.. $5.10

Other bits and accesssories
Volt-Alarm - On Board Lipoly Low Voltage Alarm (2s~4s.. $1.92
Turnigy H.A.L. Motor Mount Set(1set) $17.80
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 28-XX Spare Acce.. $3.87
Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 12AWG (1mtr) .. $2.49
Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 12AWG (1mtr) .. $2.49
Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 14AWG (1mtr)
Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 14AWG (1mtr) .. $4.17
Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 24AWG (1mtr) .. $2.36
Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 24AWG (1mtr) .. $2.36
Nylon XT60 Connectors Male/Female (5 pai.. $3.19
HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector (10p.. $3.64
Servo Terminals (JR) Gold Plated (10pair.. $1.79
Grub Screw set M3x3 10 Pack $0.26

Transmitter/reciever
Flysky 9x

Any suggestions? The motor I listed is currently out of stock, so any ideas on an alternative one or any other recommendations would be appreciated! I probably left something out, so having other eyes and brains look over the list would help much!
OoiTY is offline Find More Posts by OoiTY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:16 AM
When in doubt throttle out
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Nov 2012
607 Posts
I just spent the last 30 min replying to your post.. go to hit submit and blank page :-/

this one is going to be short and sweet

dont go with the talon v2 frame its crap get something like the DJI F40 frame you'll save money and be much better off with a rock solid frame.
http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=25

look at ipower motors 1000kv
http://www.diyquadcopters.com/iPower...135w_p_31.html

regardless of what frame you go with talon or the F450 go with 1045 props they'll give you better lift!

--Z
zestyzsauce is online now Find More Posts by zestyzsauce
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
365 Posts
these motors will make your quad very agile
oyibox is offline Find More Posts by oyibox
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:17 AM
Joined Nov 2012
607 Posts
Oh also if you go with the talon frame you have to either 1) build your wire harness or 2) buy a power distribution board... the F450 frame has it built into the plate!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:51 AM
Time to learn to fly
The Netherlands, OV, Zwolle
Joined Feb 2012
215 Posts
What you miss in the line-up is the power supply that feeds the charger.
what you choose is just the charger that has to be fed with 12V dc.

an alternative could be the B6-AC, genuine or copy. Charger and power supply in 1.

The sk3 motors are powerfull for the size but the bearings aren't that strong (I got 2 quads with different size SK3's). The NTM are well build motors and will do good on 3 cell accu's but they realy come to life on 4 cell (I've got 1 quad with these).

The 2500mAh zippy's are not strong enough. The total current is 2500 (mAh) x 20 (C) = 50 amps. Even with the SK3's you choose, you need at least 54A (for a quad). 35 or even 40C would be a better rating, especially when you throttle up with half empty batteries. For the NTM's, you need at least 40C.

That's it for now, I have to feed the kids first.
Sandav is offline Find More Posts by Sandav
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:00 PM
Joined Nov 2012
607 Posts
I would suggest going with the KK2.0 board or even the KK board to start then move into something more advance like the all in one pro it will save you from a headache and get your self in the air a lot faster also its cheaper to replace in the event of a crash and even the best flyers still crash!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:45 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,771 Posts
What's the difference between the DJI 450 frame at $32 and the HK Q450 at $17? I see a color difference: black vs red.
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:41 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
You've also got a HAL motor plate but aren't using the HAL frame, so that won't work. You've got 4mm connectors ordered but your motor has 3.5mm connectors.

Personsally I like the SK3 motors over the NTM motors, but anything in that size and kv will work, since they are on backorder you may want to look at the 2830-1020kv SK3's instead. May want to grab some spare bearings perhaps, but the spare shafts are a good idea
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Nov 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfhill View Post
What's the difference between the DJI 450 frame at $32 and the HK Q450 at $17? I see a color difference: black vs red.
really no difference does the HK Q450 have power distribution built in? from what i can tell its just a matter of the name on the board there is some cosmetic quality differences though it seems that the DJI plates are just a tad bit cleaner.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zestyzsauce View Post
I just spent the last 30 min replying to your post.. go to hit submit and blank page :-/

this one is going to be short and sweet

dont go with the talon v2 frame its crap get something like the DJI F40 frame you'll save money and be much better off with a rock solid frame.
http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=25

look at ipower motors 1000kv
http://www.diyquadcopters.com/iPower...135w_p_31.html

regardless of what frame you go with talon or the F450 go with 1045 props they'll give you better lift!

--Z
Don't you just hate it when that happens? :C

Would you mind explaining why the Talon v2 frame is bad? Is the carbon fiber they use just too fragile? I do like how the Talon v2 looks. My first choice would be the Flyduino Warthox frame with 20mm arms, but I'm not too keen on ordering from another shop and adding for more shipping.

Same thing goes for the motors, although those look really nice, it's not as attractive after adding $20 to the shipping. (I'm in Australia!)

Quote:
Oh also if you go with the talon frame you have to either 1) build your wire harness or 2) buy a power distribution board... the F450 frame has it built into the plate!
I'm pretty happy soldering together myself a wire harness, shouldn't be too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyibox View Post
these motors will make your quad very agile
Thanks, I'll consider that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandav View Post
What you miss in the line-up is the power supply that feeds the charger.
what you choose is just the charger that has to be fed with 12V dc.

an alternative could be the B6-AC, genuine or copy. Charger and power supply in 1.

The sk3 motors are powerfull for the size but the bearings aren't that strong (I got 2 quads with different size SK3's). The NTM are well build motors and will do good on 3 cell accu's but they realy come to life on 4 cell (I've got 1 quad with these).

The 2500mAh zippy's are not strong enough. The total current is 2500 (mAh) x 20 (C) = 50 amps. Even with the SK3's you choose, you need at least 54A (for a quad). 35 or even 40C would be a better rating, especially when you throttle up with half empty batteries. For the NTM's, you need at least 40C.

That's it for now, I have to feed the kids first.
I was thinking of using a hacked up computer PSU to power battery chargers. I've already got one powering my 3D printer, the only thing I'm unclear about is the connection the charger takes from the PSU. The B6-AC does like it'll save me the trouble of making connectors though..

I thought of choosing the NTM motors, but I've been using the multicopter eCalc, and most of the NTM motors they list are 35mm ones, doesn't really help that HK doesn't list the internal resistance of most of the 28mm NTM's..

Thanks for the really great explanation of the amount of amperage I need in relation to C ratings. What really throws me off is how Warthox gets away with using batteries with relatively low C ratings in most of his videos.

Quote:
I would suggest going with the KK2.0 board or even the KK board to start then move into something more advance like the all in one pro it will save you from a headache and get your self in the air a lot faster also its cheaper to replace in the event of a crash and even the best flyers still crash!
The KK2 does look like a nice board, I really like the LCD and the idea of making changes to the firmware relatively easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendoNZ View Post
You've also got a HAL motor plate but aren't using the HAL frame, so that won't work. You've got 4mm connectors ordered but your motor has 3.5mm connectors.

Personsally I like the SK3 motors over the NTM motors, but anything in that size and kv will work, since they are on backorder you may want to look at the 2830-1020kv SK3's instead. May want to grab some spare bearings perhaps, but the spare shafts are a good idea
I picked the HAL motor plates because they use the same diameter arms as the Talon, so it should work, good catch on the connector sizes though. I picked the 4mm ones as extras for the battery connectors, I should get more 3.5 mm connectors for everything else..

I do like the 2830-1020, thanks for the suggestion!

I guess an alternative build that I could do would be to get the Flyduino Warthox frame and and either the T-motors or Flyduino's motors with their props and batteries from Flyduino and the rest of the stuff from HK (Save some shipping here, spend some over there..)
OoiTY is offline Find More Posts by OoiTY
Last edited by OoiTY; Jan 02, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined Jul 2010
56 Posts
Don't order anything on backorder; it might take months until it's back in stock. Find something else.

I'd suggest one of the following:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...50kv_140w.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_315W.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00kv_250w.html
Maeltne is offline Find More Posts by Maeltne
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:40 PM
Joined Nov 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
Would you mind explaining why the Talon v2 frame is bad? Is the carbon fiber they use just too fragile? I do like how the Talon v2 looks. My first choice would be the Flyduino Warthox frame with 20mm arms, but I'm not too keen on ordering from another shop and adding for more shipping.
so here is what was missing from my longer post :P -- first off the frame is very heavy 2nd on rough landings the motor mounts actually twist no matter how tight you get the two nuts that lock onto the carbon fiber rod this was why i ended up going with a different frame "building my own" out of towel racks then moving on to the DJI frames! also the center plate is small not much room for mounting anything but the control board. The ESC's usually only fit on the polls them selves this is not uncommon but when you have a supposed nice frame that the wires can be ran through the center but no room to put the ESC in the center is crap!!! im not trying to sell you on DJI or any other frame im just telling you from experience on my DJI frame the FC actually fits nice and snug between the two plates and the battery on top making a hard landing protecting the FC board and i'm only running the F350 small frame be tons of room on the 450!!!!!

The talon frame looks nice and feels nice but in fact its heavy, poor design and not a lot of room to grow...

the flyduino guys are awesome and I've actually order 2 sets of the warthox center plates and used the towel racks I made my self you can basically cut the 2 1/2 foot rods to get your 450mm frame this makes a very nice light frame only problem is you need to 1) get some motor mounts or 2) have alot of spar arms ready once you crash you bend everything but its a relatively strong frame the center plates are nice they have integrated circuit for power and 3 holes pre drilled to put a M3 20 screw through.

its really up to you though and you'll find out the best way you can trial and error its sometimes the best way... Currently I run a F350 and two Warthox center plate with home grown arms.

these guys are suggesting the NTM motors, I have a buddy that used 2822's in his build they are very very nice motors for the price he's had many crashes - as he learned on these motors and they are still going stong he did have to replace one after the bearings gave after it got pounded crash after crash so as a rule of thumb its never a bad idea to order an extra motor / mount kit / prop adapter you will go through them!!! also an extra ESC and bullet connectors are good idea to have extra on hand! that way you dont have to wait from china to keep flying.

I started flying 10 months ago I've put about $1200 USD into the hobby since maybe more :P when i was first learning I would crash every time i flew and on top of that friends that where learning with me crashed and broke it more often then i but now since I let them fly and enjoy the hobby they all have their own and we all share parts in our little community so keep that in mind as well I really got die hard into it and now i have 4 quads 3 actually working and enough parts to keep the hobby going crash after crash for awhile when people go out and spend the money to build a quad them selves they are not looking to just get into then put it down they should just go buy one of the off the self kits, This is an on going effort to get better at flying tweak the electronics tune the hardware and crash and burn but i enjoy it and i hope you do to!
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:05 AM
Time to learn to fly
The Netherlands, OV, Zwolle
Joined Feb 2012
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OoiTY View Post
My first choice would be the Flyduino Warthox frame with 20mm arms, but I'm not too keen on ordering from another shop and adding for more shipping.
Why not build your own frame, I made a build log but you can use it as a how-to to build a warthox-like frame with integrated power harness. For the shipping costs alone, you can build two frames.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1769647
Sandav is offline Find More Posts by Sandav
Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:33 AM
Joined Jun 2013
14 Posts
quad config

I want to make a quad that can support upto 650g of additional load(excluding the weight of the Quad). . I want to know the proper Motor, ESC, propeller, battery combination for supporting such a load and at least a flight time of 15min. Also the parts should be economical, not high end.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you
sfitrobotic is offline Find More Posts by sfitrobotic