Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:32 AM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
216 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum dx6i trim not working!!!!

Hi guys

I've had my spektrum dx6i for about a bit under a year now and I've recently noticed a problem. The up elevator trim button only works intermittently and sometimes not at all. The elevator down trim works and so do all the other trims but not the up elevator. If you just click it as normal it 9 times out of 10 it won't do anything. However if you hold it down for a few seconds some times but not always it will start to trim up.

I never ended up sending in my warranty card (cause im and idiot) and can't find my receipt either (cause I'm an even bigger idiot) so I was considering opening it up and having a look.

Has anyone else had the same experience and fixed it?

Thanks scott
wigsw001 is offline Find More Posts by wigsw001
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:47 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,096 Posts
Very normal thing with the DX6i. Don't worry about not having receipt, you can still send it in for service and they will fix it for you.

If you want to open it up to attempt fixing it yourself its very easy to do. Use the search function and you will find hundreds of post on the subject. You can even look at the bottom of this page at the similar thread section.

Here's yesterday's thread about broken trim from another users.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799707
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:35 AM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
216 Posts
Yeah I should have looked further for a thread. Unfortunately I've taken my radio apart and that part isn't broken. The part that works intermittently is actual button on the circuit board that the trim pushes on so I'm out of luck. I was going to swap the boards with the throttle trim as its not really necessary as I thought they were plugs but they are actually soldered in and I don't really want to mess with that at this stage.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:49 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,096 Posts
You may want to blow compressed air or even contact cleaner to see if that will fix it.
If you want you may also reheat the solder joints just in case or you can send it in the HH for service.

There are plenty of options for you even if you don't have the receipt.
Good luck, have fun and Happy Mew Year.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:27 AM
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Jan 2006
155 Posts
Just a FYI...I sent my DX6i in for service and told them that I bought it used, they fixed it for FREE!! Call them and get it in for service.
sawatt is online now Find More Posts by sawatt
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:09 PM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
You may want to blow compressed air or even contact cleaner to see if that will fix it.
If you want you may also reheat the solder joints just in case or you can send it in the HH for service.

There are plenty of options for you even if you don't have the receipt.
Good luck, have fun and Happy Mew Year.
Yeah I tried reheating the solder joints and it still didn't help. I also don't really want to send it in to be fixed as I live in Australia's so postage would be pretty expensive to America and also it will take months to get sent to and from the US. I think I might just take one of the buttons from the throttle trim as I fly electrics and pretty much never have to use throttle trim. Thanks for all your input guys.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:15 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,096 Posts
What about http://www.modelflight.com.au/ ?
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:49 PM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
216 Posts
Success!!! Well sort of. I moved the up throttle trim button to the elevator trim and it works fine but the throttle doesn't obviously so at least I can't fly without waiting months for turn around. I might send horizon hobby an email asking if they can send me out some buttons to solder in myself.

Happy flying
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:01 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,096 Posts
Chances are NILL on that one, they have a policy not to send service parts.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:46 PM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
216 Posts
Quote:
That's actually where I bought the tx but I assume they would just take send it all the way to the US for warranty anyway. Maybe I'm wrong though.

As for not sending out service parts i read on another thread that horizon hobby sent out replacement tabs to a person that needed them. Hopefully they will do the same to me. Although I can't even get the service form to send cause it won't except my email or another email that I've tried, very frustrating! I've sent an email to sales hoping they will pass the email on.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:49 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,096 Posts
Sending a trim tab when many have had issues with is one thing versus having to de-solder re-solder an pcb button switch.

Keep me/us updated on that topic/outcome.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:05 PM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
216 Posts
Quote:
Sending a trim tab when many have had issues with is one thing versus having to de-solder re-solder an pcb button switch.

Keep me/us updated on that topic/outcome.
Yeah you could be right, they probably don't like you soldering things however i didnt think they woild even let you open it up at all but ill try. That's if my email even gets to the support centre that is.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:18 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,096 Posts
Opening it up is not a big deal since it's required for throttle smooth versus ratchet setting.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:44 AM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
216 Posts
I might just buy the pcb buttons. I can get 50 for $4 off eBay lol. That should cover me for a while.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:01 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,588 Posts
Oreilly's near you are the Spektrum distributors. See http://www.omp.com.au/

Just call them and arrange to send in for repair. If its under warranty or a product defect there shouldnt be a charge.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800