HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:22 AM
hover, glide, fly
Australia
Joined Mar 2012
122 Posts
Question
first "3d" plane help needed

Hey everyone, i am looking for a plane to serve two purposes, firstly i want to start getting into 3d style flying, and secondly i want a plane that can handle moderate winds very easy. i was looking at and almost ordered a PZ stryker f27q which seems to fit the bill perfectly but the price tag is holding me back ($300 for a wing , that is comparing it to HK) so is there any other alternative that would fit the two purposes, something like a sbach or something?

thanks in advance,
Vortex.
Vortex000111 is offline Find More Posts by Vortex000111
Last edited by Vortex000111; Jan 02, 2013 at 01:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:22 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
It would help to know your location as some things are available easier in some locations than others. I don't see how the PZ Stryker comes into 3D either but your other choice of some sort of Sbach is more relevant. Moderate wind is a bit open too, you often find what some people call windy is nothing compared to what others consider windy. For a first 3Der you really want something that can take the knocks that will come with learning this new style of flying, it will make it easier if you don't have to worry so much about those moments. A 32inch profile foamy like the Twisted Hobbys range could be a good choice but someone starting out might find they don't like to fly them in so much wind. Once you've got the hang of them they can be great fun to fly in the wind as can be seen in quite a few video's around on the net but until you get them under a good bit of control you can find them getting blown away pretty easily. You could go up a size range to the likes of the 39inch RCF range or better still to the 44to48inch Telinks or RCF's that would handle the wind better. I don't have any experience of the bigger RCF's but can say that the Telinks can fly in a good bit of wind and still be fun. A lot of people say that full fuse planes are better in the wind than profiles but at the minute I don't have any direct experience of this with foamy's but can say it is true of true of Balsa's. I do have a Wattaplane/skywing edge on the way which is a ply/epp hybrid full fuse but I don't think I'd recommend this for a first 3Der. I've heard good things about the VA Models range of full fuse models that are almost entirely foam which could make them better for a first time 3Der. Good luck with whatever you choose
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:09 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,959 Posts
The stryker and 3d don't fit in the same sentence. It is a fabulous windy day machine, but not much kin to a 3d plane. The profile foam 3d planes are the place to start with these machines, but maybe not if you are talking about significant wind. They are fine in 10-15 mph, but are not typically fun in much more.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:28 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
get the 3DHS 48" EPP Extra.

If you are brave (not sure about your experience) get a balsa frame. I got the 48 Edge (out of stock) and just kept it high. I flew it at winds in access of 20mph.
If you want balsa, you can also look into their 47" SHP or 41" Edge.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:30 AM
Joined Nov 2011
163 Posts
I recommend Va-Models full fuse all Epp planes from EppHobby. They dont get blown around easily, flys like balsa planes, and being made mostly out of foam, really makes them easy to repair and prefect for 3d beginners.
I'd say get the Elite
TH 32 profile planes are fun but they get blown easily on the hands of 3d beginners.
am534615 is offline Find More Posts by am534615
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:49 AM
United States, PA
Joined Aug 2011
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by am534615 View Post
I recommend Va-Models full fuse all Epp planes from EppHobby. They dont get blown around easily, flys like balsa planes, and being made mostly out of foam, really makes them easy to repair and prefect for 3d beginners.
I'd say get the Elite .
Thank you Sir for the compliments! I'm happy to know that the Loop and Elite serve you well
epphobby is offline Find More Posts by epphobby
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:13 AM
United States, PA
Joined Aug 2011
321 Posts
Hello Vortex,

Welcome to 3D flying world!
EPP Profile planes are very durable and the bigger ones handle the wind better but I'd say the full fuse EPP planes penetrate / handle the wind the best for foamies. Also, transition would be so much smoother and easier when you are ready for balsa planes. Hope that helps!
If you have any other question, please don't hesitate to post / ask

Willy
EppHobby (East Coast Dealer)
Gr8SkyHobby (West Coast Dealer)
epphobby is offline Find More Posts by epphobby
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:25 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,653 Posts
Its all good to say you want to fly in wind. But if youve never flown 3D, i would learn in the calm. Taking the wind out of the equation makes it hugely easier to learn. (ask me how i know). I learnt to fly power on a 32 crack yak. It was quite intimitating to learn to fly to start with even on 2s, as i always seemed to be flying in the wind. But once i got the hang of it and learnt to handle it in the calm flying over the short summer we had, in wind was a lot easier.
Forget balsa or a bigger model, from my experience get a little 32 inch 3Der and take small steps.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:34 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I have built a scratch build foam plane from the scratchbuilt section and had it in 20 mph winds without issue. The plane only weighs 12 oz as well.

http://www.3dmondesigns.com/Lil%27-Ripperplans.php

I have seen a guy at my local field with a Dynam Sbach and I'm thinking of getting one. He had a catastrophic failure (spinner and prop came off) at about 100 feet and he was able to land it deadstick without issue. I was very impressed that a 3d plane had that type of unpowered glide ratio.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:31 PM
hover, glide, fly
Australia
Joined Mar 2012
122 Posts
thanks for all these great suggestions, i guess i was misinterpreting the stryker, i think i will go for a profile 3d plane at first and maybe stick a gyro on it to help when the wind picks up.
Vortex000111 is offline Find More Posts by Vortex000111
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:13 AM
Flying 2 Fight Cancer
corona, ca
Joined Feb 2011
3,635 Posts
From my experience i would highly recommend VA Model planes from either epphobby.com or gr8skyho by.com The planes are a breeze to build/fly and the quality in the epp foam, paint scheme, and hardware is superb. You definitely wont be disappointed

Extra 330
VA-Models Elite Epp Plane 3d Fun (4 min 54 sec)

Elite
VA-Models Elite Epp Plane 3d Fun (4 min 54 sec)

Pitts
Mario flying my VA PITTS S2CX 39" EPP for the 1st time ever (2 min 19 sec)
Elec 1800 is offline Find More Posts by Elec 1800
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:21 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,252 Posts
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...re-bnf-PKZ6580

Just announced today, the Visionaire was designed for exactly this - introducing pilots to 3D flying.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor