HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:43 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Help!
Need help setting up Walkera V120D02S...

Well I got this new Walkera V120D02S and I'm having trouble setting it up. The last heli that I flew was fixed pitch and the only thing I had to set up was trim. I already went through a tutorial for the swash plate leveling and blade tracking, but the problem is that when i get everying thing aligned correctly I seem to have a lot more downward push than upward lift.

The other thing that I was wondering about with blade tracking is that the actual blade are not completely flat when the throttle in all the way down. I didn't know if that was normal or what. When the throttle is at zero pitch they are perfectly flat and aligned. I was thinking that maybe the swash plate was a little to low and that's why I am getting much more downward push than lift. Someone get back to me on that and let me know what you think.

Another huge problem that I am having is setting up the reciever. I have no Idea what any of these setting mean or how to set them up correctly. Can someone please explain to me what all the setting on the devo 7 mean ot atleast point me in the right direction? If anyone can get back to me on this it would be greatly appriciated, thanks.
LucidSoul is offline Find More Posts by LucidSoul
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
I really desperate for some help. Does anyone have some advice for me?
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
Ok, so the Devo 7 is likely the worst TX for a new person to setup for a CP but it's got all the right features, just a lousy interface. There should be a menu explanation for the Devo 7 on here, google it. I can't help much with the devo 7 menus but I can help with the mechanical stuff.

First you need to set up your throttle hold pitch curve to be linear (-XX% to +XX%). The manual ought to give percentages for your pitch curve in the ST1 and ST2 charts. Whatever the max positive and negative pitch %s are use that. You can also set up the pitch to a -100 to +100 but it's a little more setup work. Snemi00 has some good youtube vids that explain how to set this up.

Either way the mid point ought to be 0% pitch. This is very important. The reason we set up the TH pitch curve first is so that you can simply hit TH and put the throttle stick at 50% to see how centered you are. On a heli this small you can really just eyeball it, at 50% throttle (i.e mid-stick) the blade pitch should be 0 and the swash should be at the midpoint of it's travel. If not then you need to make sure the swash does not bind at either end of it's travel by adjusting the servo to swash links THEN make sure the blades are level at mid-stick by adjusting the swash to blade grip links.

That should get you through your mechanical setup basics. Then just program NORM, ST1 and ST2 pitch and tthrottle curves per the manual. If the heli drifts in a hover, adjust the swash links to counter it. DO NOT USE TRIM.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Thanks for the help. I went through the manual and did find the throttle curves and some other settings that are really usfull to me. If i set up the throttle curves, pitch curves and level the swash plus the bladed I should be good?
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidSoul View Post
Thanks for the help. I went through the manual and did find the throttle curves and some other settings that are really usfull to me. If i set up the throttle curves, pitch curves and level the swash plus the bladed I should be good?
Yep, that should get you all set up. Make sure your swash type is 1-servo normal (walkera is weird that way) and leveling the swash precisely isn't too critical, it'll actually need to be canted a bit right in order to hover level so just adjust the swash links as needed to get a level hover.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:40 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Well since I know how to do all that swash leveling and blade tracking, I should be up and hovering in no time. Thanks for all the help Tucson
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:46 AM
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
No problem! Enjoy your brand new CP goodness