HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:54 PM
United States, MN, Garrison
Joined May 2004
325 Posts
Discussion
What do you store your lipo's in??

What do you guy store your lipo's in, I know the risk of fire during storage is very low not sure how low. I store mine in a porcelain cooking dish with a lid and set that on top of a glass cooking pie dish that is upside down for a base. I figure if one were to catch on fire the lidded dish should take the heat and limit the oxygen into the dish. I have to keep them in my spare room cause I live in a apartment(no basement), and the garage is very cold in the winter hear in minnesota, What do you guys use to store them in and do you think I would be better off to put them in the cold garage. PS last night it was -12f so it gets cold out there.
two-stroke is offline Find More Posts by two-stroke
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:58 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,454 Posts
I store mine in my spare room in a plastic Plano box. All are typically between 3.7-3.8 volts per cell. Less frequently used lipolys are stored in ziplock bags in my refrigerator.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:00 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,667 Posts
same here plastic plano box.

There is no risk of fire if your not charging, or using the packs. store them anywhere. For battery life sake store them at the correct voltage like said above
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:20 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,418 Posts
Store mine in a unlocked document safe.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:25 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
same here plastic plano box.

There is no risk of fire if your not charging, or using the packs. store them anywhere.
Unfortunately that isn't the case. Here are a few examples of non charging "who knows why" fire incidents or why to store your lipos in a firesafe (non-flammable) container.

"Had been (past tense) storing my lipos in a ceramic tub-no lid. Luckily I was home and went into "airplane" room and found one of the lipos was on fire, on the carpet, and was able to prevent damage or far worse. AND I WAS NOT CHARGING THEM. Since that incident, I store them in metal ammo box (drill 2 holes about 1/4 inch diameter for venting) and in lipo bags. Charging is in the lipo bag. To this day, do not know why the battery just went "crazy". Hope this incident may be helpful to someone: charge (don't leave room) and store in some type of fireproof container. bdel"
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post23648998

"WOW had a call from my partner whiles at work about my opti power lipo blow up, and the thing is its wasn't even on charge so am a bit confuse to y this happen, I did notice that they were starting to puff and funny enough i did rang opti power yesterday regarding the battery puffing and they said to send them back and now this happen today, but the most thing I was happy about is that she was at home other wise I could have lost" http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/main-d...tml#post877508

"A mate at our club this evening had a luck escape, a brand new Turnegy 5000 went up in his kitchen! no apperant reason (not on charge), he managed to get it out in time but i guess a bit of a freak out for his wife, little'un and himself. so remember lipos realy can burn the house down be carefull folks!"
http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/main-d...tml#post831920

"Bought a couple of ThunderPower G6 1800 3s's and ran one in my parkzone mustang today for about 5 minutes (timer )of balanced flying. Packed the plane up took the battery out and put it back into a zip lock bag... One of the cells exploded while carrying it back to the car? For a brand new pack that had been discharged and balanced im pretty amazed?"
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1136

"Bro's just had a very close call, A brand new battery never crashed a 2S 480 mAh was just sitting there it was not used or charged on this day.. I was up stairs and heard a loud pop, I go down stairs only to find the lil' battery spewing grew smoke & spinning then it blew up ! Big flames. It almost cost me MY HOUSE, this darn lil' battery all by itself did this, I have learned my lesson all batteries are now stored on ammo cans, DO NOT STORE LIPOS, in the open !!!!!!!!!!!! Look what happened to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It managed to burn the wall, carpet,and tile.......Never again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1098

"After flying this morning I was doing some repairs and all of a sudden i heard a pop and smoke started pouring out of a Flightmax 3s 1300. I had not flown that pack. I just brought it home unflown. It was just sitting in the concrete block I store it in. I have a bucket of sand on hand that I dumped into the block and put its concrete top on. Smoked like crazy. Stunk up the cellar. There was another 1300 in the same block. The voltage on that measures fine but I don't know if the heat from the venting pack up against it might have damaged it? Now I am a little wary of my batteries. I treat them well. Have only charged them at 1C and do not abuse them. I recently balanced the pack. That was a small 1300. I recently got 6s 5000's".
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...85&postcount=1
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,667 Posts
hoppy, well didn't realize that there were that many cases of idle lipo fires. I might start keeping my lipos in my army ammo box then.

mrforsyth, just re-read your post saying that you store your lipos in your refrigerator. Are there any reason you do this? I have always thought lipos didn't like the cold, let alone refrigerating them
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:45 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,418 Posts
Never plan on a Lipo not catching fire. It is better to be a little paranoid than to have a Marshmallow roast using your house as the fire source.

What ever you store in should be vented or unlocked IMO, else wize you have what is called a bomb.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:45 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,160 Posts
Big_poppa
They love the cold. It drops the storage damage way down compared to storing at room temperature. See http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...tore_batteries

Very well put 1320 - "Never plan on a Lipo not catching fire. It is better to be a little paranoid than to have a Marshmallow roast using your house as the fire source."
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:32 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,993 Posts
I "store" packs at storage voltage on steel shelves which are in an area that I keep free of flammable materials. Any packs which I've charged prior to flying 'em and packs which I'm transporting (charged or not) go into LiPo Sacks (the real deal).

I believe that all LiPo packs should be treated with respect, but I don't think there's any reason for the hysteria some people exhibit or the extreme measures some people take. In most cases, those extreme measures are disproportionate to how they treat other common hazardous materials.

Take a friend of mine, for example: He went so far as to buy a used airtight wood stove for the sole purpose of using it as a LiPo bunker and even installed a flue pipe which goes through an exterior wall of his garage. But he's also a gearhead and I lost track of the times I've found him in the same garage standing at his work bench cleaning parts in a pan full of gasoline.

People are funny like that, don't you think?

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:10 PM
United States, MN, Garrison
Joined May 2004
325 Posts
What do you guy think of me using a old charcoal grill out in the garage. I know it is cold but I would rather have to replace a battery now and then from the weather destroying it than a fire in the house. If i keep the grill a few feet from anything I think it would make a good storage unit for lipo's, I know it will take the heat anyway
two-stroke is offline Find More Posts by two-stroke
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:21 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
I use concrete hollow/cinder blocks to store my 3S and 6S lipos. Blocks are on top of ceramic tiles which are in turn on top of granite blocks.

cyclo is offline Find More Posts by cyclo
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:46 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,058 Posts
For the winter I just store in the same shipping box that they arrived. I set at 3.8v/cell and put in a cool location.

I always keep the shipping boxes and bubble wrap so I can use them for storage and disposal.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:02 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,667 Posts
hoppy, that article you linked also reads "avoid freezing".

now I dont know about you guys but sometimes I find a little ice/slush in my soft drinks sometimes in my fridge. They say around 59*, I would say actually putting them in a fridge is overkill. Now you may say well just turn down my fridge, well, hehe, I like my drinks and milk as cold as I can, and im not going to sacrifice my cold drinks and cold beer for some nice refrigerated lipos, hehe.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:17 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Use the link again and take the time to look at the chart showing storage temps., state of charge and capacity retained after one year at such storage.

Reading only the head lines one missing a lot of the details.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:25 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
hoppy, that article you linked also reads "avoid freezing".
A little more info on storage temperatures:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=11

and from Thunder Power:
http://thunderpowerrc.com/documents/Winter.pdf