HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:04 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Mar 2008
40 Posts
Help!
XPS fan installation onto custom duct

8 Years ago I build a U-2R with custom ducting to match a BVM VioFan. I decided after many years to upgrade the power plant to a XPS Fan. The Original power plant never had the power to succesfully fly the plane at 28lbs,. Assuming the weight will remain the same The XPS on 14 cells is going to work awesome.

Today, I decided to start the process. After having had the fan in plane today, cutting the duct is not going to happen and Buying BVM Viojet is also not going to happen.

The ducting fits into the intake lip perfectly in the middle, on the mounts the works, I was wondering. If I molded a shroud round the fan and lip and used aeropoxy the glue the shroud into the ducting, it should act as a thrust ring of sorts perfectly directing the airflow.

Has anyone tried this before? Where there any negative observations?
sean_kriegler is offline Find More Posts by sean_kriegler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:25 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,783 Posts
pictures would help ...i dont understand glueing the duct to the shroud ....how will you remove the fan for maintenance ?
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined Mar 2008
40 Posts
To remove the fan for maintenance, you would slide it back as per normal, as I would mold a lip to go over the shroud, see the image below. Red is the fan, White is the existing duct and the yellow would be the carbon part I am thinking of molding.

I will upload, photos tomorrow at work after editing them.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:13 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Hi.

I did the exact same thing your picture shows on my BVM F-16. I currently have a DynEmax that fits without problems and works very well. Even though the DynEmax is a bit larger in the diameter than the BVM fan, the scale retracts still work perfectly in regards to having enough room. I"ll search for the pics and post them.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
XPS and DynEmax = same fan shroud basically. 12s 40-80c/Scorpion 630kv.
16.25 lbs.

The yellow section is home made kevlar transition from original BVM F-16 intake to home made glass DynEmax adapter.

Although the parts are not pretty, they are extremely strong and light.

Unfortunately, the fuse is a 1991 BVM lay up, and due to age, upon full throttle run up the original intake lip on the BVM F-16 collapsed in on itself . I had to reinforce it with additional composites. Still have not run it up while holding it still though. In flight not a problem. All epoxy resin.

The connection to the fan is exactly as your diagram shows. The pic is from an earlier post on RCU and may not enlarge. ??

Steve
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Jan 01, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:03 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_kriegler View Post
To remove the fan for maintenance, you would slide it back as per normal, as I would mold a lip to go over the shroud, see the image below. Red is the fan, White is the existing duct and the yellow would be the carbon part I am thinking of molding.

I will upload, photos tomorrow at work after editing them.
yeah that would work.i though you were going to glue it ...molding it is the way topgo.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:50 AM
Joined Mar 2008
40 Posts
This is what I meant yesterday, here you can see how well it fits inside.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:24 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,783 Posts
just wax and pva the front of the fan ,mix up some epoxy and cab-o-sil and a fillet
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:22 AM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
What AS said along with a wrap of seam tape to bind the cabo