HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:13 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,640 Posts
Perhaps we should have The Great British Bi-Plane Build Off I can think of a few I rather fancy.

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:46 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Perhaps we should have The Great British Bi-Plane Build Off I can think of a few I rather fancy.

Ray
Funnily enough Ray that was a possibility which had crossed my mind. I've got several biplanes but I could always use another!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:12 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,640 Posts
Quote:
I could always use another!
You can never have too much of a good thing My favourites would be Mpunku & Grasshopper - free pull out plans in MA and Aeromodeller respectively.

While I remember - buy a packet of these things when your next at B&Q, Excellent for applying the aforementioned fillers and for mixing epoxy, paint and dope ( no, they don't melt) Also two different end radii if forming fillets.

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Feb 16, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:27 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
I'm already overwhelmed with all these suggestions but, strangely, I'm attracted to El Bobo and La Paloma. It must be something about that George with the badly spelt surname. Something to ponder for a while and I'm sure there will be other ideas.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:40 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
On the other hand, Mr Smeed's Flipper 27 looks like a good one for a first bipe!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:41 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
279 Posts
Hi Mixer, Many thanks for a most interesting build, at this rate you could easily squeeze in a bipe by the end of June. KBO.. Sky Jiver.
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:20 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
While I remember - buy a packet of these things when your next at B&Q, Excellent for applying the aforementioned fillers and for mixing epoxy, paint and dope ( no, they don't melt) Also two different end radii if forming fillets.

Ray
I think I'll get bonus points from Mrs M if I buy her a pack for her greenhouse and she'll never notice if a few go missing.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:58 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
For a while, I wished I'd listened to those who said 'that'll be a hard one to cover' and on a few occasions, both Mr Percival and Mr Woolls were sent to bed with no supper, in fact I had to send Mr Percival to the headmaster for using foul language-----Oh, no, that was me.

However my lovely 'Stewardess' travel iron and I soldiered on bravely and it turned out all white in the end.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:43 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,675 Posts
No posts in 10 days... I do hope nowt terrible has happened, Mike! I'm really enjoying seeing this one come together!!!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:23 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
No posts in 10 days... I do hope nowt terrible has happened, Mike! I'm really enjoying seeing this one come together!!!!
A lousy cold has slowed me up and I've been looking at different ways of tackling some of the final bits so it's been more thinking than action.

I have fixed the tail feathers and will post pictures when the control linkages etc are finished.

I've also discovered that the battery will have to be up front to get the CoG right. This will mean extending the front belly hatch back one more bay, so making that could be interesting.

I've also done some preliminary design work on the spring strut for the U/C. My wonderful son (He's a chip off the old block!) has given me a pair of small aluminium RC car struts that, with a lot of modification, could be ideal so the only bit of a Biro will probably just be the spring.

Onwards and upwards, she will be done by the time the weather is warm enough for me to venture out in tee shirt and shorts.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:22 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Here are the pictures of the empennage almost complete. I've only faired one of the struts so that you can see that I've used SD's idea for CF rod and heatshrink tube. The fairing is cut from glossy photo paper glued with '560' canopy glue which set quickly enough without attacking my fingers like CA does.
The Multiplex horns are CA'ed and screwed with self tappers.
It just needs some fine glue fillets around the base of the fin and the tailwheel needs fitting to complete the rear end.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:09 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
After a small backward step, things are moving forward again.

To obtain a better CoG, I increased the size of the front hatch to accommodate the LiPo, cutting away part of the second bulkhead and adding a power bulge (Supercharger air intake) to the extended hatch which is held in place by a single pair of magnets at the rear. It doesn't seem to need a front peg but I may add a little one to be sure.

I've now started bending and soldering wire for the main U/C. The piano wire doesn't take kindly to sharp bends without annealing so I had to dig out my ancient Maplin 'Flame Master' pencil torch only to discover that the tiny 'O' ring on the filler valve had perished. After much searching and head scratching, even contemplating the purchase of a cooks torch, I found a length of silicone covered wire of the right size and cut off a slim slice that fitted perfectly. From there it went reasonably OK and I now have the lower 'Y' frames ready to fit. I hope I can wire wrap and solder the retaining wires without burning holes in the covering - I can be dead clumsy with a soldering iron!

Due to recent financial pressure caused by essential maintenance on my (t)rusty Polo I've had to delay my order to BRC for Solartrim, wheels and 2 propellers. Though an APCe 9x4.5 seems to give the best performance with my motor on 2 cells, I'm going to try a GPS 8x4 three blader which will give a far nicer scale appearance. I'll do a few tests with my Heath Robinson thrust gauge.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:45 AM
Belgium, Walloon Region, Arrondissement of Mons
Joined Feb 2013
88 Posts
Looking great.
Ptilou is offline Find More Posts by Ptilou
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:59 AM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Do you have any idea how accurate your method of thrust measurement is? Seems to me like you would need to be really careful to make sure that the string holding the plane is attached at the same distance from the pivot point on the L as where the L contacts the plate of the scale. It really is a clever idea and one that I have never though of. I may have to rig something like that up for myself and see how it works.

Also, bird is looking great. Looking forward to seeing it in the air.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:07 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,677 Posts
As MB suggests, I should think there must be some question of moment arm ratios in your setup. However, if you only want comparative results, i.e. one system is pulling a bit more, or a bit less than another, then your rig may work, although it may not be very sensitive to small differences, but then neither will the plane be...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member