SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:59 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
I just hope I can make a good job of covering, time to practice with the solarfilm polyester methinks!

Perhaps the deep fuselage will help with stability because of some pendulum effect?
Yes, that's my thinking Mixer. As I understand it one of the "side" functions of dihedral is providing side area at the front, which it won't be needed for with all that fuselage area up front on the EP9, so I would be hopeful that this model will handle OK with a bit less dihedral than you might normally use on a rudder/elevator model.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:20 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,405 Posts
Just to keep Mr Mixer honest and on the straight and narrow I thought I had better inform that the aircraft he said was flying in Australia is actually in New Zealand. It is labelled as the Wings Over Wairarapa Airshow (Wairarapa is to the North East of the Capital) and as a second clue the registration prefix is ZK, had it been Australian it would have been VH.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:09 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Just to keep Mr Mixer honest and on the straight and narrow I thought I had better inform that the aircraft he said was flying in Australia is actually in New Zealand. It is labelled as the Wings Over Wairarapa Airshow (Wairarapa is to the North East of the Capital) and as a second clue the registration prefix is ZK, had it been Australian it would have been VH.
That'll teach me to pay more attention - engage brain before tapping keys - and perhaps brush up on my antipodean geography. So please accept my humble apologies Kiwi.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:20 PM
Joined May 2009
600 Posts
Quote:
That'll teach me to pay more attention - engage brain before tapping keys ....
You're not the first, mixer. I do it frequently. Very happy to know I'm not alone!
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:26 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Dress her up!

I do like Solarfilm polyester! I can't remember it ever being so easy to cover a plane. OK, I've just done the easy bits but it's given me much more confidence to tackle that fuselage. Just low heat on my trusty travel iron to tack it in place then smooth over the whole surface with a little more heat, trim with scissors or knife then roll it round the edges before a final smooth with the iron on high. Inside and outside curves - no problem - the joins just disappear. Sorry, I'm going on a bit, just so pleased with the result.
Lots of sanding to do now and I've had a small problem with the wire loops for the U/C and strut attachments. It was the first thing I made and the loops were too small so I've had to open them with a small screwdriver. Most went OK but one was more difficult and I've made a small hole in the balsa beside it. So, do I cut it away clean and insert a tiny bit of balsa or use filler. If the latter can someone suggest a suitable light , easy sandable one? I've seen several mentions of such a product (Spackle??) but what's available in the UK?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:52 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,689 Posts
Looking nice, Mike! Solarfilm polyester? Last time I used Solarfilm, it was 'one type'! Is the 'polyester' different from 'normal'? Sorry, I'll Google at lunchtime - just being lazy!

Re the filler ('spackle' is just what those Johnny-come-latelies on the other side of the pond call all fillers - like 'latex' means emulsion!), go into B&Q and find the Polycell 'One Fill' Polyiflla. There may even be a cheaper own brand version - you'll know when you pick up the right one because it feels like the pot is empty!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:09 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Looking nice, Mike! Solarfilm polyester? Last time I used Solarfilm, it was 'one type'! Is the 'polyester' different from 'normal'? Sorry, I'll Google at lunchtime - just being lazy!

Re the filler ('spackle' is just what those Johnny-come-latelies on the other side of the pond call all fillers - like 'latex' means emulsion!), go into B&Q and find the Polycell 'One Fill' Polyiflla. There may even be a cheaper own brand version - you'll know when you pick up the right one because it feels like the pot is empty!
Thanks Col, The polyester has better shrink properties and even the adhesive is controllable - low heat to tack, high to fix. I find it much easier to control the shrinkage and it lays over the frame flatter without wrinkling. I think it's a little heavier than Solarfilm but I just love it! I hope I still feel the same after tackling the fuz!

Now I'd have never thought of polyfilla! OK for holes in the plaster caused by Mrs M throwing her famous rock cakes at me but my precious plane?? Perhaps they invented the light stuff for some of these cardboard houses that are being chucked up.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:13 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,689 Posts
Quote:
Now I'd have never thought of polyfilla!
According to the blurb, the 'One Fill' is made up of "millions of microscopic glass beads" in some sort of binder, so that it doesn't sag when you trowel it on good'n'thick, whereas I believe that 'traditional' filler is cement based.

Tell Mrs Mixer it's to fix that ding in the wall where she threw the rock cake at you, and with a bit of luck you can claim the cost back from the household budget....
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:24 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,652 Posts
For what it's worth these are the only fillers I use now. Polyfilla as described by the Colonel and Squadron Products putty from Modelfixings.co.uk Both are one part air dry and sand very well, the Polyfilla being slightly softer than the Squardon.

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Feb 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:54 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,689 Posts
I never thought of Squadron white... I used to use Squadron 'Green Stuff' when I made plastic models (and always loved the smell - bound to be carcinogenic or at least addictive!), though the white wasn't available back then. By all accounts, the white is simply a finer grit than the green.

I would guess that the Squadron fillers will be heavier (but harder) than the Polyfilla; but if it's only small marks or gaps you're filling it would probably be OK. If there's a lot to do, I'd guess the Polyfilla is better. Just guesswork though - I could be wrong!!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:19 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
A quick visit to B&Q this morning to find they only had giant industrial size of the Polyfilla Onefill but , instead, I purchased a small pot of Ronseal Smooth Finish filler which appears to be the same. It's very light and the blurb on the pot says 'using advanced glass sphere technology' so I hope it does exactly what it says on the pot!

The covering was proceeding apace, then late last night, I decided to finish the top of the starboard wing - big mistake! The polyester, as usual, went on beautifully but when I held it up to admire my handiwork, Aaaargh! I'd not sanded down properly and the were a row of lumps where the interspar webs were poking up. So to bed and the comforting snores of Mrs M. I had a restless night contemplating the possible methods of removing the covering without damaging my lovely balsa work. I had worried in vain! Gently lifting the edge at the root and making a few cuts, the Solarfilm peeled away cleanly just leaving a few small pieces to be eased of with a blade. Sanded and re-covered all is now fine.

I expected this project to last until June but it's all going much too fast so I've started looking for another one. I've never had a bipe so I'm looking for something suitable for electric R/C conversion around 30". All suggestions welcome. I hope it will qualify for George's 'Unfinished' build off.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,689 Posts
Looking superb, Mike! You did the right thing, sleeping (or not sleeping!) on the issue. Before now, I have hit on solutions a couple of days after the fact - making me very glad that I didn't leap in without waiting.

Re 'the next one', how about 'El Bobo' by some chap with the name utilising rather bizarre spelling - George Woolls???

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2836

Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:34 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,689 Posts
Or conversely (considering there is talk of a 'group of designers build off' - which I would hope would include Vic Smeed), the great man's Flipper 27?

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=35

Whatever, Outerzone 'Advanced Search' is indeed your friend!!!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:00 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,901 Posts
Quote:
I expected this project to last until June but it's all going much too fast so I've started looking for another one. I've never had a bipe so I'm looking for something suitable for electric R/C conversion around 30". All suggestions welcome. I hope it will qualify for George's 'Unfinished' build off.
You really have cracked on with this one Mixer, we will all be holding our breaths for the first flight.

Biplanes eh - now you are talking my language! Four for you to consider just off the top of my head;

Another George Woolls design, the lovely "La Paloma" rubber model
Jack Humphries "Sporty"
Bit bigger, but very attractive, M. Campbell's "Venture"
Smaller but cute, "Doohickey"

I happen to have the magazines for the Sporty and Venture to hand so here they are

Several others will come to mind when I have a delve
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:27 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,901 Posts
Here are the Doohicky and La Paloma.

Others to consider would be the Pinocchio, June Bug, Roaring 20 and (a bit bigger) Peter Holland's Bi-Play
RCG Plus Member