HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:32 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,783 Posts
I am impressed Mixer, that is looking great.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:04 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,620 Posts
I can only echo the words of the learned gentleman above.
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:21 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Thank you kind gentlemen. It's a while since I've enjoyed a project as much and I love the curvaceous top line - quite elegant for a fairly ugly little workhorse.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:18 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
365 Posts
Hello,

So i've stumbled on this thread because i've been doing a search on this plane because just today I was given a set of plans for an EP-9. It just happens to be the 70" version that you referred to in your first post.

It's a very interesting subject that I have never seen before. I may just have to put this ol'd girl in to the line up of builds.

I'll be interested to see how your little one turns out. It is looking good so far.
NOI53Y is offline Find More Posts by NOI53Y
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:56 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,607 Posts
This is the 70" RM plan version of the EP 9 published in the September 1974 issue. Designed by Bob Morrison of Hobart, Tasmania. It even has a working (flour) spray system.

I started to build one many years ago but sorry to say it became another unfinished project with the bits still languishing in the roof space

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:10 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOI53Y View Post
Hello,

So i've stumbled on this thread because i've been doing a search on this plane because just today I was given a set of plans for an EP-9. It just happens to be the 70" version that you referred to in your first post.

It's a very interesting subject that I have never seen before. I may just have to put this ol'd girl in to the line up of builds.

I'll be interested to see how your little one turns out. It is looking good so far.
Hi, Thanks for your interest and I like the original photos. I would have liked to finish the 70" version but the little one is more within my skills and budget, I believe there are still a few full size ones flying, this one a couple of years ago in Australia.
Edgar Percival EP.9 Wings Over Wairarapa (3 min 55 sec)

I look forward to seeing your progress. Will there be a build log?
Mike.
Last edited by mixer421; Feb 02, 2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:17 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
This is the 70" RM plan version of the EP 9 published in the September 1974 issue. Designed by Bob Morrison of Hobart, Tasmania. It even has a working (flour) spray system.

I started to build one many years ago but sorry to say it became another unfinished project with the bits still languishing in the roof space

Ray
Hi Ray, The flour 'spray' system was one of the attractions of that one. I'd also had the idea that it would make a good camera ship. Come on Ray, dig it out and join NOI53Y with his possible build. With all this interest we could have more models than full size flying!
Mike.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:49 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,620 Posts
Wow! I wonder if the model will have a similar low speed capability to the original? I genuinely thought for a minute that the film had been slowed down on that landing approach!!!!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:01 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,607 Posts
I don't want to hijack Mike's build thread but he inspired me into retrieving the bits to see how much I had actually done. For what it's worth here is what I found. I intended to use a four stroke but I guess it wouldn't take much to do an electric conversion. I had even selected a colour scheme. Some day perhaps....

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Feb 02, 2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:08 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,783 Posts
Crikey Ray, that's practically a whole aeroplane! How many more 3/4 built models have you got stashed away? I've been giving serious thought to something to follow the Britplan and the more I think about it, the more I like the "Finish an Incomplete Project in 2013 Build Off" idea, it would be a public service to give an incentive to get some of these "ghost" models into the air. Practically everyone must have at least one stalled build, and it would have the advantage of hoovering up the left-overs from previous build offs - who knows, it might even inspire Brokenenglish to finish his Slicker!!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:24 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Wow! I wonder if the model will have a similar low speed capability to the original? I genuinely thought for a minute that the film had been slowed down on that landing approach!!!!
The test flight that I had involved performance tests and I remember the airspeed to stall with full flaps was 26mph and as there was a 20 mph headwind when we landed we only rolled a few yards to stop. Take-off was equally impressive! Of course we were only lightly loaded because it was several years of Mrs M's cooking that caused the present ballast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I don't want to hijack Mike's build thread but he inspired me into retrieving the bits to see how much I had actually done. For what it's worth here is what I found. I intended to use a four stroke but I guess it wouldn't take much to do an electric conversion. I had even selected a colour scheme. Some day perhaps....

Ray
That's nearly finished Ray and looks fantastic. I'm with George, let's see these unfinished projects come to fruition. Easy for me to say as I don't have one!
BTW, Hijack all you want - you have me thinking about trying the big one again! Some day perhaps....
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:01 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
I look forward to seeing your progress. Will there be a build log?
Mike.
Hey Mike,

I have a couple of models I want to build first but if I do get to this one I will do a thread. Having seen the photos posted of the near finished one is kind of egging me on to do it. It's just going to have to wait though.

Next on the table is a Tony Nihjuis 72" Spitfire
NOI53Y is offline Find More Posts by NOI53Y
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:52 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,607 Posts
Here's the deal NO153Y. To get you started you can have mine - if you collect it. I can arrange to be at home tomorrow afternoon. After all It's only 10,648 miles according to the side bar

Quote:
How many more 3/4 built models have you got stashed away
Don't ask George. Too many. Had a poke around the loft and I think the oldest up there is a Taurus I started around 1965

Ray
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:29 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
Will you chaps please keep the noise down about how many unfinished models you have squirrelled away? If 'The Duchess of Crowthorne' hears I'll be for the high jump (again ).

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:12 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,620 Posts
I think I only have one.....this photo was taken lying on one elbow holding the camera over a large pile of boxes and shooting into the pitch black....

But now we are hijacking Mike's thread!