HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:57 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Build Log
George Wooll's 1959 EP9 / Prospector. Britplan Buildoff 2013

I’ve already given my reasons for wanting to build this in my Britkit ‘Dolphin’ build log but I’ll repeat them here as an introduction.

I was lucky enough to work on and fly in G-AOZO when I was an airframe fitter at Lympne Airport. I always liked it’s practical, some may say ugly, appearance but I was impressed by it’s STOL performance and always thought it would make a good model. Sadly, in July 1980, long after I left that line of work, OZO crashed near Lympne, while being used by a parachute club, killing all on board.

Sometime around then, RCM&E published a plan (Now ‘X’ list RM133) for an RC, 70” span, 0.60 cu” powered version that I started to build. Due to lack of time and money (Raising kids is expensive!) the part finished wing was consigned to the loft where I found it recently, crushed beneath a box of redundant crockery.

The George Woolls version is a modest 43 ¾” span 1/12th scale freeflight model for 0.5 to 0.8cc motors. It has some unusual features, including the use of cartridge paper and Bristol board (What is that??) for covering. It has variable dihedral to look more scale like when on the ground, not something suited to RC I think. It also has an adjustable elevator for trimming, useful for an RC, electric powered version. I won’t be attempting Georges elaborate ‘Skyspread’ graphics but, bearing in mind my total lack of artistic talent, the much simpler white and red of G-AOZO as in this 1978 photo by Ray Barber.

I started cutting liteply bulkheads this morning, already a diversion from the laminated balsa suggested on the plan but I'll take my time on this one, having learnt some useful lessons from the 'Dolphin'.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Last edited by mixer421; Feb 09, 2013 at 08:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:08 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,988 Posts
Looking forward to following your progress Mixer - link added to the Build Off thread.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:03 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
United States, GA, Brooks
Joined Mar 2005
878 Posts
this should be a great build to watch.
mrdj is online now Find More Posts by mrdj
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:50 AM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Neat-O! Will be watching.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:53 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Reminds me of a pregnant Guppy: I'm in!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:22 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,740 Posts
Click.......
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:35 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Thank You for the interest gentlefolk.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:56 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,727 Posts
Lots of character in that one! Will be following this build. Found the plan and the full article on Outerzone, here: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_file...ival%20EP9.pdf

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:12 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,249 Posts
Ray Malmström also designed a beautiful miniature rubber powered version of the EP9. Plans available on Outerzone.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:32 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
Ray Malmström also designed a beautiful miniature rubber powered version of the EP9. Plans available on Outerzone.
That was the first one I looked at but SD suggested the Wooll's one and I thought it would be more challenging and suit a motor I already had.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:20 PM
History Eraser Button?
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
I’ve already given my reasons for wanting to build this in my Britkit ‘Dolphin’ build log but I’ll repeat them here as an introduction.

I was lucky enough to work on and fly in G-AOZO when I was an airframe fitter at Lympne Airport. I always liked it’s practical, some may say ugly, appearance but I was impressed by it’s STOL performance and always thought it would make a good model. Sadly, in July 1980, long after I left that line of work, OZO crashed near Lympne, while being used by a parachute club, killing all on board.

Sometime around then, RCM&E published a plan (Now ‘X’ list RM133) for an RC, 70” span, 0.60 cu” powered version that I started to build. Due to lack of time and money (Raising kids is expensive!) the part finished wing was consigned to the loft where I found it recently, crushed beneath a box of redundant crockery.

The George Woolls version is a modest 43 ¾” span 1/12th scale freeflight model for 0.5 to 0.8cc motors. It has some unusual features, including the use of cartridge paper and Bristol board (What is that??) for covering. It has variable dihedral to look more scale like when on the ground, not something suited to RC I think. It also has an adjustable elevator for trimming, useful for an RC, electric powered version. I won’t be attempting Georges elaborate ‘Skyspread’ graphics but, bearing in mind my total lack of artistic talent, the much simpler white and red of G-AOZO as in this 1978 photo by Ray Barber.

I started cutting liteply bulkheads this morning, already a diversion from the laminated balsa suggested on the plan but I'll take my time on this one, having learnt some useful lessons from the 'Dolphin'.
Now that's personality!! Never seen or heard of this aircraft. Will be a real attention getter for sure
pomroyj is online now Find More Posts by pomroyj
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:37 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
It has some unusual features, including the use of cartridge paper and Bristol board (What is that??) for covering..
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-bristol-board.htm

Sounds like card made from paper laminations - possibly like is used for the covers of hardback books?
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:33 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post

Sounds like card made from paper laminations - possibly like is used for the covers of hardback books?
Thanks for that link Col, I intend making a nuisance of myself at local art and craft emporia but not sure if I should grow a pointy beard and don dark glasses and a kaftan. I do like to look the part, which is why smock and wellies, adorned with copious quantities of baler twine, was my preferred work wear.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:36 PM
History Eraser Button?
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post

Thanks Blink - When building my Shereshaw Champion, the 1937 Flying Aces construction article mentioned 'Bristol board' and had no idea what it was
pomroyj is online now Find More Posts by pomroyj
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:23 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
The front fuselage is dry fitted together complete with sewn on wire for U/C and wing struts. As I've used 1/8" liteply instead of laminated balsa and 1mm ply I've added a bit more ventilation to reduce the weight a bit.

I want to use my 2200ma 2cell LiPo's but finding space for them is a problem. I'd need to go down to 1000ma to get an appreciable reduction in size and that could reduce flight times to less than 5 minutes. The hole in the second bulkhead, between the bearers is one possibility. Another option will be to cut a similar slot underneath the bearers. The dry.fit is to test the possibilities.

I'm finding it hard to interpret parts of the plan as some parts are obscured by Georges lovely 'Skyspread' graphics. In particular the area around the rear cabin seems lacking in stringers etc to connect the front with the back and there appear to be two short formers with hardly any visible means of support.
My next move will be to build the rear fuselage section and hope it becomes clear how it mates to the front.

I have purchased some cartridge paper but I don't think it's suitable as it soaks up paint like blotting paper. The visit to the art emporium is essential to find some with more of a glossy finish, though I'm tempted to build 2 sets of wings, one to be covered with Solarfilm polyester or the Oracover version..

Progress is slow but I think I've started on the hardest bit.