SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:37 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
Discussion
BritPlan buildoff .. an oddity

I figure someone will identify this oddity in no time at all.

Okay, I started building in December as I had nothing else to do other than twiddle my fingers .... and George kindly said he'd accept it.

This heavy clumsy looking model was claimed to do over 2:30 on 450 turns.... (yeah, right!) and be capable of 3:00 in dead air Already with more contest models in stock than I can find opportunity to fly, I figured I'd build this contraption just to see if it would fly at all; actually the moments and airfoil are not too bad and a sensible structure could have held promise .

When (if?) completed it will, of course, be pure and unadulterated Free Flight. Powered by the released energy of twisted rubber - none of this soulless electricky stuff - it will fly free in balmy breezes to find its own way rather than to be subservient to the whims of someone forcing his wishes upon it by radio controllery.

Viva Free Flight !
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Last edited by Applehoney; Jan 01, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:05 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,899 Posts
Well then Jim, you'd better tell me what the hell it is, so I can post the detail in the build thread. BTW did you notice that 7 out of the 24 completed models in the Britkit poll are actually free-flight - including one of mine I might add. No bias in any build offs I administer, everyone welcome, I just wish someone would build a C/L model to add more variety. Hope you've cast your vote in the poll, if not go and do it at once!

Coincidence; it was the turn of the box with the 1980-85 Aeromodellers to provide the bedside reading last night and there in the July issue was one of yours I had forgotten about, the little Night Owl glider. I like a design which is the essence of uncomplicated simplicity yet still performs - I reckon it would make a dinky little 2 function light wind slope soarer for use on small hills like sand dunes, with a total radio weight of an ounce or so positioned up front in lieu of ballast it would hardly be much heavier than the originals!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:17 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,687 Posts
Jim, I can't identify it just like that, and I haven't got time to search (phew!),
but it looks like the nonsense that was published as dimensioned "full-size" drawings in the forties Aeromodellers...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:22 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
I was thinking a Woolls Dragonfly? But I'm not convinced
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:25 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
Brokenenglish is getting closer ....
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:49 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,899 Posts
It's an R.L.B.4 by R. L. Biggs, July 1943 Aeromodeller.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:16 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
R.l.b.4

George gets the kudos for rummaging through musty magazines late at night when he could have been doing better things. R.L.B.4 it is .. and had it performed as claimed in 1943, on prewar rubber .. friend Biggs would surely have been as revered in competion as JO'D was a decade later.

If all the structure above and below the basic 'box' been discarded it could well have been a good flyer as proportions, turbulated airfoil and decent sized prop are reasonable, though stab area a little small.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:43 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
would surely have been as revered in competion as JO'D was a decade later.
... and two, and three, and four, and five, and six decades later...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:40 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,899 Posts
No rummaging involved Jim - just careful thought to remember where I had last seen it. My forties AMs are in bound volumes so I was able to pick the right one off the shelf once the memory cells finally did their job.

Looking at the tailplane mounting I presume that you don't think this one will need a D/T?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:09 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
No problem with a d/t George - either flip-down stab or tip-up wing; just as with a Senator.

Now whether i bother to install one remains to be seen. Tracker also... that may just be too optimistic !
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:00 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
R.l.b.4

Work progresses in a desultory manner at an almost glacial speed.

The stabiliser and fins were produced towards the end of December and I'm now a little further on with the wing structure.

Still have to add all the lower spars, various gussets and oddments. Maybe soon..
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:28 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,686 Posts
Ah! Glacial speed - that makes you a bit faster than my geological speed.....

Looking nice, Jim.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:04 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
279 Posts
RLB.4 looks neat, wing very Senatorish, tip fins on the tailplane could help efficiency. Has your tissue paste from UK arrived yet Jim ? KBO..Brian M.
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:58 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
Brian,

I felt that underneath all the excess superstructure bulk and weight lay a half decent airplane and I particularly liked the multi-spar 'Senator'ish' wing. To that end I've mostly used very light balsa over and below the basic box in an endeavor to keep as much weight off as possible.

Bigger than a Senator, it carries a 16" prop and (hopefully) will handle a stronger motor and, strangely enough, when I lay the present wing structure on the fuselage it doesn't look as bad as on the plan. Need to find a nice offcut of clear pine for the prop in due course.

Time will tell as to stability and performance. The last '40's design I thought might be a 'sleeper' should not have been awoken, hopefully I might do better this time.

Tissue paste - have bookmarked the manufacturers, figuring mailing costs could be high. My son is making some noises about a visit sometime - if that comes off I'll commandeer his services. Wallpaper seam paste is doing job okay at present on the few occasions I have to make use of it
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:01 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
Time creeps slowly by and finally .. .wing is ready for sanding.