HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:26 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,771 Posts
As a full scale pilot for many years, I've read NTSB reports here in the United States related to hundreds of incidents. If I know how other seemingly intelligent people managed to crash their airplanes, maybe I'll avoid repeating their mistakes. It's amazing how many of these incidents are related to haste, carelessness, and a level of certainty that this will never happen to "me."

Curiosity about these events is natural and healthy IMHO.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:06 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
874 Posts
It's great to see this thread continuing. I agree it's good to try hard and not repeat the safety mistakes of others.

A few days ago I posted an RC Flying Club Safety Plan project website. It has a detailed outline that RC flying clubs can use to enhance their field safety procedures by starting a Safety Plan that is more than just posting rules. Thanks go out to Ryan (RCG:rdwoebke) and Sherman Knight (RCG:duworm) of SASS for their kickstarting inputs.

I hope in some small way it will get the ball rolling for some clubs to make safety improvements.

Chris B.
SoaringDude is online now Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:54 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
I wouldn't even know where to begin with those bank numbers. I do know though that in the past when fund raisers have been done here for RC glider causes (granted typically for a bit more happy causes but I do know in the past fund raising was done for Mark Smith when he was battling cancer) that a paypal account for receiving funds was setup. I would definitely make at least a small gift to the family via paypal. I think others here might do the same.

Ryan
Ryan, The link has an email address on it. You might want to give that a shot.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:56 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
As a full scale pilot for many years, I've read NTSB reports here in the United States related to hundreds of incidents. If I know how other seemingly intelligent people managed to crash their airplanes, maybe I'll avoid repeating their mistakes. It's amazing how many of these incidents are related to haste, carelessness, and a level of certainty that this will never happen to "me."

I often notice that mentality in the way people charge their lipo batteries.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:29 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,781 Posts
They say something like 95 percent of all full size aircraft accidents are from human error . That leaves 5 percent to mechanical failure.

we need to be informed about any and all dangers to avoid repeating them . It doesnt make us appear dangerous as much as it does responsible . Im a landowner with a somewhat closed airstrip. Had I read a thread like this with guys suggesting to keep events like this secret I would know for sure I had irresponsible pilots flying on my land
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Last edited by DLGjunkyard; Jan 18, 2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:53 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,924 Posts
Januari 9th 2013, an article in the Stuttgarter Zeitung

The accident is absoluty a one off
translate...www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/inhalt.modellsegelflug-am-gruenen-heiner-der-unfall-ist-ein-absoluter-einzelfal

... According to Hans Hussak is so far nothing ever happened, except perhaps here and there a bruise on one of the weekend pilot(s rvs) ...
What the f...???

edit: added rvs

Vriendelijke groeten Ron

Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Feb 04, 2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:23 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,589 Posts
Thanks Ron for the update!

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:08 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
That vintage sailplane is pretty epic.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:56 PM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
864 Posts
Self delete.
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:46 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
as a full scale glider pilot i read the uk magazine "sailplane and gliding" and a section in it about reported accidents, causes, circumstances, injuries, plane types etc etc.
i find it invaluable to make me a better pilot.
why learn from your own mistakes when there is so much to learn from others experiences to then be able to avoid incidents in the future.

you have to be blind to think brushing it under the carpet is the best thing to do, and maybe these people should be the last people to be in our hobby???? afterall they are the ones that clearly prefer to learn from THEIR mistakes rather than learn before hand how to be safer!

well thats my opinion.......you? (lol sorry....that gordy thing made me laugh)
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:55 AM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post

You seem pretty certain about that.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:39 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
Seems to me that standing around unprotected on a bluff with slopers whizzing around in circles at 80+ mph is a situation where accidents can easily happen due to electro-mechanical or human problems such as depth perception, or simple recklessness. I read years ago about a young woman on a beach being impaled and killed by a sailplane and the memory has stuck with me. I have flown model planes and ridden motorcycles for 60 years and am somewhat more safety conscious than most.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:09 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Seems to me that standing around unprotected on a bluff with slopers whizzing around in circles at 80+ mph is a situation where accidents can easily happen due to electro-mechanical or human problems such as depth perception, or simple recklessness. I read years ago about a young woman on a beach being impaled and killed by a sailplane and the memory has stuck with me. I have flown model planes and ridden motorcycles for 60 years and am somewhat more safety conscious than most.
If you have flown on a slope before, you will know that people usually fly out in the lift band, which is away from the edge where people stand. And there are pretty standard norms which most slope flyers observe about not over-flying people, cars, roads, etc. Only the un-initiated would describe slope flying as you have.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Posting about it is a healthy reminder that things can go terribly wrong.

Such reminders can make people more safety conscious, and avoid things from going terribly wrong at another time.
Anyone other than a very new pilot should already know this. All it takes is one very small electro/mechanical control problem to put any plane out of control.
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:57 PM
Joined May 2013
104 Posts
SFBC is offline Find More Posts by SFBC
Last edited by SFBC; Sep 27, 2013 at 08:37 PM.