Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:34 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,570 Posts
Discussion
RC glider kills spectator

Stuttgart, Germany
translate...www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/inhalt.stuttgart-weilimdorf-folgenschwerer-unfall-mit-modellflugzeug.82ef0028-d125-4702-b43d-beaadce20b96.html

Sad greetings, Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:49 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts
Hello Ron, have not seen you here in a long time.

Very sad that you appear to share this sad news. Seems to me like a freak accident, and nothing more.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:29 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,212 Posts
This is really sad news

Fly safe in 2013

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,709 Posts
That's the worst that could happen. That model in the photo, if it's the one that hit the man in the head is way bigger than 8ft. in span.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:04 PM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,438 Posts
Sad indeed. I'd like to know details, just to learn what went wrong and not do same mistakes myself. Competition/Club field/Public field? Slope/Thermal? Approach for landing/Launch/High speed pass? Equipment failure/Pilot error/Weather? Was the victim a pilot/spotter, timer or other ground crew/an innocent bystander?
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Jul 2009
561 Posts
It is tragic, but let's not forget that accidents do happen. I immediately started thinking of defenses that our community could use should government try to use something like this against us, and the first thing that came to mind was golf.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=has+anyone+ever...by+a+golf+ball

Who'd of thought that golf, such a benign sport, could be so deadly to spectators.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:40 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,112 Posts
This is really tragic, and although this article appears to be a "click on the button" translation, I find it hard to understand how an involuntary manslaughter charge would come from it. As already brought up, there are some unknowns here, but the article mentions a wind gust, so who on earth knows.
I guess if we have spectators at our local flying clubs, we need to be on our toes and keep them well back from launch/take off and landing areas. Happy New Year, and fly safe.
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:18 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkettu View Post
... I'd like to know details,...
Discussion in German forum, use e.g. http://translate.google.com/, just enter the link there :
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...g-in-Stuttgart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmtrubrit View Post
... I find it hard to understand how an involuntary manslaughter charge would come from it. ...
the way I read it in the forum, that kind of inquest is always started in cases like this.

Regards, Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:45 AM
I Like Clouds Made Of Limes?
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
795 Posts
Can you please post the translation here? My internet is down at home and it wont work, at work!
BenLimeClouds is offline Find More Posts by BenLimeClouds
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:58 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,200 Posts
They haven't said anything really interesting: A regular slope site where there's other people too. Apparently, there was a big gust of wind.
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:09 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Slope flying can produce some high speeds as we all know. I just wonder how fast the plane was traveling.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:28 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,545 Posts
"Let's not forget that accidents do happen"

Well, yes and no.

When I was working I worked at times in deep underground mines and on drill rig floors. And I observed that in no small part due to government regulation and increased litigation that their was an evolution from the "accidents do happen" mentality to one where, at least in the workplace responsible employers have come to recognize that accidents don't just happen. They result from bad choices made by people.

Surely, safety is the application of common sense. But it is also the result of a continuous process of not only asking oneself "what can go wrong here?", but a more basic process of looking at everything we do with regard to how it might be made safer.

One of the things that we should all recognize is that, as a general rule, our safety practices fall far, far behind those which would apply in any common workspace. And I am not advocating that we necessarily change. But we need to be aware of the added hazards that our recreational activity has over and above what would ever be remotely acceptable in the workplace.

Clearly, hitting someone in the head with a plane is dangerous. When I lived in Houston, a helicopter pilot killed his buddy nearly instantly when the rotor severed his jugular vein. I can assure you that you will find nothing in most workplaces which is as hazardous as the winches we use. And every time I launch my eMaxa, I am reminded that nowhere in the workplace will you find workers holding 1 horsepower weedwhackers inches from their heads.

Accidents "don't just happen". They are the result of bad choices. Be aware. And do your very best to avoid bad choices.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is offline Find More Posts by dharban
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:51 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,545 Posts
deleted
dharban is offline Find More Posts by dharban
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:08 AM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
687 Posts
Sharing this kind of thing is NOT good for anyone!

Hi guys,

You will note that there are very few gossip reports like this one in RC Groups archives....not because they haven't happened but because modelers realize the danger to the hobby...rc soaring of gossiping about them.

While news of someone getting killed in any way is fun to share --- you guys posting it will spread the killing. It will spread to the owner of my flying site, and the owners of other flying sites....and they will also say "could you send me the translation please" ...but the translation will translate into, "Model gliders are dangerous, and a liability I'm not inteterested in being a part of, so you are out of here!"

Please engage brains when you get the urge to post that kind of thing!!! Flying sites are too hard to find for us sailplane guys, harder to keep, extremely easy to lose. Leave the destruction of rc soaring to those who are not involved in the hobby.

The lame "Please post the details, so I can avoid that happening on our club field..." perpetuates the thread topic and makes it that much easier for land owners to find a Google link about the dangers of allowing sailplane guys to use their land.

If you really are so safety minded, ask for an off line email reply.

DO NOT be posting this kind of thing on any public forums.

There have been plenty of incidents that you guys have never heard about...and that's the way it should be.
Again, if you are interested in posting something about rc sailplanes, why haven't you posted anything positive, you know like your own rc sailplane projects?

Please kill this thread immediately by not posting any more PUBLIC comments, if you need more blood and guts details, do it off line, privately

Gordy
I flew rc sailplanes in Germany, and most other countries...you?
I have reported this thread to be closed.
Gordysoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gordysoar; Jan 02, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:46 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,200 Posts
Posting about it is a healthy reminder that things can go terribly wrong.

Such reminders can make people more safety conscious, and avoid things from going terribly wrong at another time.
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime