Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:51 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Tom:

If you mean that you have omitted the binding completely, I would think that that may compromise your undercartical integrity.... I'd suggest that some binding would be advisable as CA is very brittle, and I would be afeared of the u/c parting company from the former as a result of the first sharp knock it gets....

Think of the binding as fingers wrapped around the wire - you would always grip a rod tighter holding it a clenched fist rather than squeezed between straight fingers and thumb*....

*I apologise for a really feeble analogy......!
Hi Tom

I have to agree 100% with the Colonel, if just CA'd in place I would expect the undercart to fail at the first landing. The binding is important and I strongly recommend that you add it.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:12 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Oops I better had then! Thanks for that, I will add the binding when I get home. On the diddy little things i normally do there are tubes or slots on them for thee undercart. No excuse for me assuming it would do. See, I am a novice and need advising, even if I am 43!

ATB

Tom
Froglube is offline Find More Posts by Froglube
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined Sep 2007
491 Posts
I like this model! Subscribed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I'd suggest that some binding would be advisable as CA is very brittle, and I would be afeared of the u/c parting company from the former as a result of the first sharp knock it gets....
I parteke completely what the Colonel says!
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:53 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Third those comments from the Col and SD. I usually cotton bind and coat with slo-epoxy. Works well for me.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:27 AM
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
All bound now, used cotton and due to a quirk of construction I was able to fit a 1/32 x 1/8 th strip of balsa on the outside edge over the binding so the tissue will have a smooth surface to go over. If I'd bound the wire to the bulkhead before assembly as you are meant to I wouldn't have needed to but because of the undersized I/8th stuff I've used and the happy coincidence that I added that pair of cross members after the bulkhead was fitted so they were flush with the inside of the frame not the outside I've sort of got away with it.

What I need to do is get hold of another (or find the one a kids hidden) of those handy six inch rulers with the slots cut out for quickly measuring balsa rather than believe whats written on the tube they are in!

Just this hour received the consignment of Jap tissue from Shortys Basement! Just when I needed it!

ATB and thanks!

Tom
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
My over enthusiastic sanding of the trailing edge has made it nearly 1/8th of a inch narrower than it should be, oops, but I will have to live with that now.

I have added some 1/16 reinforcing ribs to the centre two sections to take the presure of the rubber bands that will hold it on and have just given the areas I will be sticking the tissue to a good coat of full strenght dope. I'm realy not looking forward to covering the nose on this one, I may have to look up wet covering techniques!

ATB

Tom
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:35 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
That CONTESTER is a lovely airplane......nice building.

I've "navel gazed" at the plan I have for years but never got around to it.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
272 Posts
Hi Frog and HNY..Your building quality and pictures put my poor efforts in the shade, still you had a kit to start with. Vis the undercarriage hope it all holds together thread binding to the former would help. Cheers. SJ.
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Yup the kit made a BEEEG differance and if you got up close its a bit rough in places I can assure you!

Covering the nose has been as bad as I thought it would be, I don't think it will affect it much performance wise but I have learned plenty from my numerous mistakes.

Note all the glue covered cotton that is now holding the under carriage on!

I'll do some of the nice easy covering tonight after the curry we just ordered.

ATB

Tom
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Sep 2007
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglube View Post
Covering the nose has been as bad as I thought it would be, I don't think it will affect it much performance wise but I have learned plenty from my numerous mistakes.
Tom
But you did it nice!
Good job!
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:30 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Mmmmmmmm........... curry!!!!!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
And a very good curry it was too!

I've done a bit more, theres some small wrinkles that I may have to sort but its gone quite well, I can'tbelieve how many sheets of tissue its taken! Normally I have stuff left from two!

The fuse'' has had 2 coats of 50/50 after shrinking with watered alcohol, as has the fin, The stabiliser has had one coat so far and the wing I'll do tomorrow.

ATB

Tom

PS does any one have the instruction sheet that should go with the plans? Replikit doesn't supply one.
Last edited by Froglube; Jan 15, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:41 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
665 Posts
Tom,

What is the difference between the Contestor and the Competitor? From your photos, it looks like an identical sibling except for the tail.

Somewhere I thought you might have mentioned the Contestor being larger...
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:47 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,552 Posts
Contestor 45" span, Competitor 32" span.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:49 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
665 Posts
Thanks, Ray!
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw