HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:51 AM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
Or rather they might take the voltage, but I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't for long.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:41 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,100 Posts
The pack I linked to is a 2S LIfe, slightly less voltage than a freshly charged 5 cell Nixx pack.
I did mention Lipo in my last post, but only to show that the receiver could handle the voltage, not the servos.

Sorry if this caused some confusion

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:34 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Pyroman, sorry took so long to answer your question, but no i'm not useing an escapement right at the moment. It is currently flying with an Ace Commander, but i have been trying to get my escapement working reliably....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:15 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,100 Posts
As an alternative to an escapement, I assume you have seen this:

http://www.mccrash-racing.co.uk/sc/sc24g.htm
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:23 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Pmackenzie, yes i have seen that before, and thank you indeed!...Gene
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:00 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Gene, I'm not familiar with an Ace Commander so I googled it. Are you flying with the little actuator that moves back and forth when flying straight? If so, is that hard to control? I imagine the airplane constantly fishtailing while trying to fly . . . Anyways, that old stuff is still pretty cool

I realized I never uploaded a picture of the ready-for-electronics fuselage, so I have attached them to this post. Also, as you can see in the pictures I have already mounted the engine (I was bored ). One thing I did though for mounting it was instead of cutting out a notch in the firewall for the choke tube, I just made a spacer out of 3/8" plywood. It's actually just a piece of 1/4" and 1/8" ply glued together. I did this because if for some reason I ever change engines, or go to electric, I don't want a big ol' hole in the firewall.

Also, while waiting for some of the electronics and hardware to continue, I built a BEC. It is super simple and was quite easy to do. So far it hasn't shown any problems and it works just fine. For a test, I hooked up about 6 servos to my rx and had them move simultaneously for about 1 minute. After the minute, I felt the BEC and it was quite warm, but because of my heat sink it cooled down real quick. When I only have 2 servos hooked up and moving, the BEC doesn't get warm. I will do many more test before I trust my airplane to it though, so we'll see how that goes. . . .
Here's a quick video I made for my website about it. In the video I use a 3s lipo, but I'll be using a 2s on the airplane.
DIY BEC - Very Easy (1 min 32 sec)
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
Last edited by PyroMan; Jan 15, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:15 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroMan View Post
Gene, I'm not familiar with an Ace Commander so I googled it. Are you flying with the little actuator that moves back and forth when flying straight? If so, is that hard to control? I imagine the airplane constantly fishtailing while trying to fly . . . ...
If you're interested in some RC history look up Bonner VariComp. My first radio was an Ace Commander that I built from a kit (1956). Gene's must be a newer model than the one I built, he's actually got a gimble, all mine had was a door bell button. My first RC plane that this radio went in was the full size Mambo (48") with a two needle valve K&B 15. The two needle valves were supposed to give you two throttle settings but I could never get that part to work. It was fun but about all one could do with the radio was interrupt the very stable flight of the Mambo....lol As you've found out there is no elevator on this model. To get it down you had to wiggle the rudder back and forth to create some drag and thus loose lift....As I said it was fun....
Brner is offline Find More Posts by Brner
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:39 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Pyroman, yes the rudder does swing left and right continuously during flight. And no the airplane doesnt wiggle as a result of it. Its a hoot to take to the field for those that never seen that type of action.....Gene
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:53 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Pyroman you can find some planes for 049 motors here just click on the planes colored for a free TILED plan. These are mostly ace stuff and i flew the ace pacer in the 70's. joe http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:26 AM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Gene, that's pretty cool! Maybe one of these days I'll have to try a single channel just to see what it's like. . .

Cracksmeup, thanks for the link. I'll check those out. I'm hoping ill have enough balsa when I'm finished with my MM to build something else. I have another .049 on my desk. Maybe something fast-ish. . .

Fuel tank question:
So I'm building a film can fuel tank and tell me what y'all think about my idea. I'm planning on having three lines coming out of it. One line is a clunked fuel line that goes to the engine and the other two are vents. I read somewhere that it is a good idea to have the vent coming out the firewall so the airflow kinda pressurizes the tank. With this in mind I'll have both vents coming out of the firewall. Then to re-fill the tank all I'll do is pump fuel into one vent until it comes out of the other vent.

So what do y'all think about that? If I were to do a single vent, then how do I refuel?

Thanks,
Nicholas
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:21 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroMan View Post
Gene, that's pretty cool! Maybe one of these days I'll have to try a single channel just to see what it's like. . .

Cracksmeup, thanks for the link. I'll check those out. I'm hoping ill have enough balsa when I'm finished with my MM to build something else. I have another .049 on my desk. Maybe something fast-ish. . .

Fuel tank question:
So I'm building a film can fuel tank and tell me what y'all think about my idea. I'm planning on having three lines coming out of it. One line is a clunked fuel line that goes to the engine and the other two are vents. I read somewhere that it is a good idea to have the vent coming out the firewall so the airflow kinda pressurizes the tank. With this in mind I'll have both vents coming out of the firewall. Then to re-fill the tank all I'll do is pump fuel into one vent until it comes out of the other vent.

So what do y'all think about that? If I were to do a single vent, then how do I refuel?

Thanks,
Nicholas
ANYTIME Pyro i sent you a couple more in a PM. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
ANYTIME Pyro i sent you a couple more in a PM. joe
I just got done checking a few of those out. Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:57 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,040 Posts
my electric Kitten

A little encouragement to keep you going...
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsabird View Post
A little encouragement to keep you going...
Nice plane! Thanks for posting
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:21 AM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
Your two vent setup is the best way except one should go to the bottom front of the tank. That way you can empty the tank easily if needed. The alternative with a single vent, you could add a cut to your clunk line and use a piece of the metal tubing to reconnect it. To fuel up, pull the line apart. Problem is it means the line has to be longer and you can get air leaks in your fuel pickup. Go with two vents. One to the top and one to the bottom. That's how the Cox tanks are set up.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77
Last edited by Vince77; Jan 19, 2013 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Android keyboard...