SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
192 Posts
A power jig saw is handy if you've got access to one, but a coping saw will do OK. Just try to stay a hair outside the lines so you can sand to final fit.
Bargle is offline Find More Posts by Bargle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:19 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
I'll probably stick with the coping saw because its only three little pieces. I do have a jig saw but to me it's more of a fiasco than just using a hand saw. I guess if I had a lot of pieces to cut out I'd set up my scroll saw. I don't have a workshop so setting up power tools is not always the easiest thing to do.
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:15 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,256 Posts
I only use a coping saw for plywood pieces. Put the wood in a vise and cut (as Bargle said) to the outside of the line and sand to the line. Easy and quick.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:42 AM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroMan View Post
I didn't know the ink would come off with an iron. I will have to try that sometime. . . Even of just for fun
Just be sure to use a laser printer, and keep the ink towards the wood...

On the dihedral braces, you might want to see what other plywood pieces you'll need. I usually just pull out a coping saw, but once you get used to scratch building, sometimes it's quicker to set up the jigsaw and get all the plywood parts done at once.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:44 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
I got some work done past night on the first half of the wing.

This morning I was taking the wing off of the building board and realized the wood glue had glued to the wax paper. I am using Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue. I didn't think that it would stick to the wax paper, but I have spent about 20 minutes this morning picking off wax paper and doing a little sanding. Is this normal? If not, what I am I doing wrong? On the next wing I'm going to try to keep the glue off of the wax paper as best as possible.

In the pictures I have sanded a little, but I still have more to do. . .

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357234978.739171.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 101.7 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357234997.301670.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 106.9 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357235046.204460.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 105.9 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357235059.822406.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 109.2 KB
Description:
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:01 PM
Registered Misuser
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
That's pretty normal. Maybe try using the other side of the wax paper next time. The brand I buy works best with the shinny side up. Also, the pin holes tend to stick. You'll figure out how much glue to use as you go along.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:11 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Quote:
I got some work done past night on the first half of the wing.

This morning I was taking the wing off of the building board and realized the wood glue had glued to the wax paper. I am using Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue. I didn't think that it would stick to the wax paper, but I have spent about 20 minutes this morning picking off wax paper and doing a little sanding. Is this normal? If not, what I am I doing wrong? On the next wing I'm going to try to keep the glue off of the wax paper as best as possible.

In the pictures I have sanded a little, but I still have more to do. . .

Attachment 5418066Attachment 5418067Attachment 5418071Attachment 5418072
glue on your work is usual and happens to everyone. And btw your wing looks very nice and tidy, keep it up and that thing will fly like a bird!
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Okay, I'll try the other side of the paper. I'm using a syringe to apply the glue because it has a smaller tip than the bottle, but sometimes it shoots out real fast. I may try a different applicator bottle to keep the glue on the wax paper down to a minimum.

RC trainer Plane, thanks. I sure hope it flys well. I found your build log of your trainer plane and have been reading it. I still got a few more pages to read, but I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:17 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Do y'all shape the leading edge before or after glueing up the wing?

I did not shape my leading edge first so I just got done rounding it with sandpaper. It wasn't too hard, but I'm debating whether to round the leading edge for the other half of the wing before I begin the glue-up.
Last edited by PyroMan; Jan 04, 2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:15 AM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Waiting for the glue to dry on the other half of the main wing. . .

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357280142.102057.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 90.6 KB
Description:
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:20 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Quote:

I did not shape my leading edge first so I just got done rounding it with sandpaper. It wasn't too hard, but I'm debating whether to round the leading edge for the other half of the wing before I begin the glue-up.
i shape the leading edge when i've put on the sheeting for the plane. If you don't have sheeting make sure you put it on when you've finished all the ribs.

hope it helps
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:29 AM
Registered Misuser
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
Quote:
I'd recommend shaping after sheeting for now. The structure is stronger and will hold up better. Also it's easier to match the curve of the sheeting than to guess the curve of the ribs.

Really depends on the design though. On most, the sheeting stops and is glued to the back of the leading edge. Then like RC Trainer plane mentioned, you sand the leading edge so it matches the sheeting.

Sometimes, I cut the leading edge beforehand so it matches the ribs, then glue the sheeting on top of both. This makes the glue joint bigger and stronger, but also puts it right on the leading edge. Glue joints are harder to sand and blend with the surrounding balsa.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:03 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,918 Posts
I used plastic sandwich wrap, instead of waxed paper. It won't stick, even with CA (but my primary glue is Titebond aliphatic).

Here's my "Mambo 252". I used Glen Rock's plans for the Minnie Mambo, but enlarged it to 252 sq. inches, revised the innards (i.e., 1/32" sides, different spar construction, and so on), and installed a Skatty brushless motor and a 3S 1250 Lipo. Flying weight is 16 ounces. It is a blast to fly, especially doing flat spins (but start them up HIGH and end them high, 'cause it takes a while to stabilize from those flat spins!).

Covering is Fibafilm (from Balsa Products -- same stuff as Micafilm), trimmed with more Fibafilm and white CheapieKote.

Glow or Electric,it doesn't matter. The Mambo series is a blast to fly!

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:22 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Well I've already shaped the leading edge a little, but I'll finish rounding it up after I get all the sheeting on like y'all suggested.

Captain Dunsel, that's really cool! I don't think I've seen a bigger version before. Thanks for posting.
Feel free everyone to post pictures of your Minnie mambo's. I enjoy seeing them

I've got the wing framed up and glued together.

Right now I have cut the sheeting for half of the wing and it's clamped on with the glue drying.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Forgot to attach pictures. . .

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357345456.236990.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 140.1 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357345473.080754.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 101.7 KB