HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:56 PM
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Joined Nov 2000
61 Posts
Question
Question about paint and weight...

Just finished building my superflea... AUW was 6.6 oz pre-paint and 7.7 after. Although I have been flying for 15 years now I have not ever painted a model so I really had nothing to gauge what an appropriate amount of paint would be. I am guessing that I put WAY too much on and, thus, my question: how much weight should painting typically add to a foam aircraft?

Pete
Yakrobat is offline Find More Posts by Yakrobat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:02 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,300 Posts
Pete: I painted a Stealth Sport which is 294 sq. in., plus the fin and canopy with acrylic paint, white glue and lots of water. This added only 10 gms. or 1/3 of an ounce to the over all weight. I posted here under "Painting FFF". The trick with keeping the weight down is the amount of water used. I brushed it since the fan fold is so poures. If you have a foam surface that has a skin like Depron or injected foam as found int the GWS kits, all you need is a light dusting with a spray can. Saving one ounce of weight in electric flight is equal to adding one cell to your battery pack.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool