HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:42 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,615 Posts
yeah now we know why the shade areas at that field are built from solid concrete. the 16 is looking great ....i vote for ED scheem . white and orange ezto see there only one white one left here white and orange on top ...and dark gloos blue on the bottom i never have been able to figure that one out ,not sure why it is painted like that.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:25 AM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
442 Posts
The plan is for desert cameo i think, there is mention of it around post #36
Looking Grate J
Pinky_d_brain is online now Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:37 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,165 Posts
Yeah, we might go the desert camo scheme. Hans and I will discuss it more.

Here's the Vegas story from the event co-ordinator himself. Darrell was a Huey pilot in Nam, a hell of a nice guy.

"Hi Jon! Good to hear from you. The 2013 Ace in the Hole event is officially Oct 11, 12, and 13. I actually will have a few multicopters there this year to fly and Hillbilly and I are going to mount some of his camera stuff on one so we should get some pretty good airborne shots and have some great fun. Darrell"

It's a great time, you guys should try to make it.

Up early, most of the bottom skinned, just the shallow forward part to go. And then the DREADED intake. I remember how hard I struggled on my 1/10th scale trying to get it right. Hopefully my experience with that one( and hanging from the ceiling so I can refer to it) will help a lot with this one.
Once the intake is done I need a good day outside( warmer than now!) to sand this beast. It will need a WHOLE LOT OF SANDING.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:36 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,193 Posts
J Do you sand the blue foam first to flush up the seams be for applying your fast n final? Or is it better to just feather in the light weight putty w/ a few coats covering the seams?
looks really great by the way, and really BIG!!

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:13 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,165 Posts
Thanks Bruce

The way I do it is dig out any Gorilla glue that is exposed because it sands like . Then I sand the whole thing until I have the best contours and curves I can get. Check for any more Gorilla glue that might have been exposed by sanding, dig out if necessary and fill all cracks and crevices with spackle. Once dry I'm ready for a thinned spackle coating.
The great thing about fanfold is you have about 1/4" thickness for sanding. That's why I don't sweat getting perfect seams.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:51 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
935 Posts
J, great build. I may have missed this earlier in the thread but are you going with tailerons? Following the pics it looks like a flying stab. Just wondering.

BTW, this is making me want to build a Shumate 150% F18 (almost 6'). I've had the plans from JBMiller for some time. Man I need to get my bench cleared.

Mike
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:03 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
442 Posts
Was thinking build it up like you did with the A-1H with thick foam shape and hollow out so you don't have to do fancy curves with that stuff. Would work for the back end to, could even lathe this one out like you do your molds. Anyways your the expert i need a shop so i can try this stuff my self
Pinky_d_brain is online now Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:53 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,165 Posts
Mike,
It will be stabs & elev, stabs are hooked together off single rod.

Pinky,
I sort of did it that way.
Had a good day today. Finished the fuse and intake. Glad that's over.
With the intake, I just built it up with formers and the "mouth". Then used blue foam in the corners. Now I can round the top sides of the intake.
Pics show the story.
Tomorrow I'll work on the vertical fin and start the canopy mold.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:31 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looks good John, like how you did the intake. W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:04 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Hey Woody! Caught your post, YUP ready for SEFF can't wait! How about you? You getting ready? Make sure you get Craig in gear too! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:37 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,615 Posts
man this is a full up scale build ..looking great J what a great friend you are to build this for the Hans Man. i can just see him now with his flight suit on draining batts and having a blast.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:42 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,085 Posts
Yes, I can call Mr. John D. Morgan my Friend!!
And I am very proud about that!!
HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:09 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Yep, Woody, another road trip. I just picked up my new wheels, I'll have Han's riding in style this year.

I remember that windstorm. Damn, we held onto the tents for about 15 min just to keep them from blowing away.... and they were tied to that chain link fence!

J
J, these wheels were running good!!
All the best with your new four wheels!!

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:31 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,165 Posts
Thanks Hans,
I appreciate your friendship too. I think you'll like the new ride.

Worked on the vertical today. As you know, it has a thick base. Trying to keep the weight down so I hollowed the fin and skinned both sides with 3mm depron. I left some some margins in the cut outs so I can streamline it. Fin is 9mm depron. Also made add'l pieces for the base and glued them on. The tabs on the bottom are for attaching to the fuse, strength you know. I will cut and mount the vertical with pins and magnets so it will be removable for transport. Finally, a 1/2" balsa LE for the fin. Now it's ready for shaping.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:45 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,165 Posts
Worked on the canopy plug. Don't ask me why I did all these laminations, I usually don't like to do them this way. Just too lazy to go get a block of foam out of storage I guess.
Anyway, ready to start shaping. And a few pics of this latest beast together.

J
RCG Plus Member