Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
Thanks, John.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Thanks all, appreciate it.

Wilfor,
It is Hans to fly everytime he is "in country". It will fly at SEFF too though. Hans will be here again in Oct for the Vegas event. I only plan on those two each year, otherwise I'm building.

Tony,
Appreciate the nice comments but as far a working as an artist or writer..... couldn't do it. I like to eat too much.

AS,
Let me see, fill in the blanks. Fan and wheels????

Nice cockpit Dennis.

J
Dmerino is offline Find More Posts by Dmerino
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:52 AM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
863 Posts
The lines on the nose are part of the lighting protection on the radome.

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:51 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,126 Posts
.. she has a thin nose construction to get a good radar picture and the panels have to do the framework to hold the nose in place, The lines between the panels are a lightning strip protection for the electric systems, like L. said. Hey, this man is just asking the same question.

Thank you for the picture update from today!!
HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Last edited by Hans-Joachim; Feb 27, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:54 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,605 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Have the canopy finally sealed and primered. Moving on...........

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:03 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,605 Posts
I need to get all my cosmetics done before I start on the panel lines. I did try something on the speed brakes. Made a vinyl mask instead of using the Chartpak tape, much easier to apply the vinyl. A few coats of primer/sealer gave me the effect I was looking for. I'll use a filling primer on the rest of the panel lines to build faster. I do plan on using the vinyl masks for all those distinctive panels along the top of the fuse.
And I wasn't happy with my wing seams, hadn't done any work on them until the maiden was done. Used a piece of 1/8th balsa glued onto the wing panel. Will sand flush and fill along the wing/balsa seam and the seam line should look much better. One down, one to go.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:28 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
John, for me the "FUN" part begins. I wait patiently for this time to see how you "dress" up all of your ladies. Your detailing is superb.

Dennis
Dmerino is offline Find More Posts by Dmerino
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:03 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,605 Posts
Thanks Dennis,
It's my favorite part too, when it all starts coming together.

But the build will slow down for awhile, put on hold actually. I'm attending a model show/swap meet this weekend and then I have some family commitments. As soon as I get back on it I will be busting my butt to finish it.
Sure wish the weather would turn around, it's cold here again. I'm ready for some flying weather.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:59 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,079 Posts
Looking great John.. I was able to get my foam for the Euro build yesterday. Pink stuff from Home Depot and the blue fan fold from lowes. Online I saw 61 packages of the blue FF. Got to the store and only one dismal looking pack on the floor looking dirty and slightly crushed. Asked the guy for another and no one could find the other 60 packs? How the hell do you lose 60 large packs of foam? Anyhow, 3/4 of the inner stuff looks in good shape. So will start the project next week following your F16 build as reference. Thanks much for all the info. Your my hero....... (small tear in lower corner of eye)
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:18 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,605 Posts
I'm glad that you could find some fanfold Ace. Sounds like they may have had a clearance sale. Did you ask if they will be getting anymore in?
By pink stuff do you mean pink fanfold or the 2" or 3" thick stuff? I've gotten some pink fanfold when I was in Wyoming and it was crappy stuff. I wound up using it for packing my pictures when I moved. I think there might be different types of pink though as I have seen some guys using it with good results.
Good luck with your build, I'll be watching.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:50 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,079 Posts
The pink was the 2" and 3/4" sheet stuff for shaping wings etc.
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:12 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,660 Posts
John you are right about the pink FFF. " I've gotten some pink fanfold when I was in Wyoming and it was crappy stuff. " Thats the stuff I have and mailed you about. Just using it to practice with, wouldn't want to build a plane out of it!!
The thicker, !"and 2" is great stuff. I think it's called Foamular

I haven't tried my Model Plane Foam as of yet. My foam skills need to get better first before I start with it!
Just plain old polystyrene, no backing, no perferation/holes, nice and flat, and just about snow white.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Mar 01, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 12:21 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,691 Posts
I prefer the pink stuff for doing wing cores but only up to 2" thick chord. You can layer it to get it thicker but it can be problematic using the hot wire and going through whatever adhesive to bond the two layers together.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Mar 01, 2013, 02:35 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
469 Posts
Here are the main two, I would have to special order 1/2"no use for it up here but I can get the 4 or 6 no problem. I plan to hot wire the 1 1/2" down to 1/2" lots of work but I can get it for free
Pink
Blue
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:30 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
I prefer the pink stuff for doing wing cores but only up to 2" thick chord. You can layer it to get it thicker but it can be problematic using the hot wire and going through whatever adhesive to bond the two layers together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky_d_brain View Post
Here are the main two, I would have to special order 1/2"no use for it up here but I can get the 4 or 6 no problem. I plan to hot wire the 1 1/2" down to 1/2" lots of work but I can get it for free
Pink
Blue
Willsonman; I never had a problem cutting multiple layers of 2" when using 3M-77, 3M-78 is a whole different ball game. 78 is much "harded" and the wire gets stuck, 77 is like cutting butter.

Pinky_d_brain. boy I wish I had your problem. To get anything thicker than 2" I would have to order a whole pallet for one or two sheets.
" I can get it for free"-- thats the best price you ever hope for. 2" here is around 24.00 US
4" x 4' x 8' R20 FOAMULAR 250 Rigid Foam InsulationSquare Edge4" x 4' x 8'Model: 270879 ---- $62.50 each Takes 2-3 weeks and Must be ordered in increments of 24. I can't see spending $1500.00 for foam!!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:39 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,691 Posts
Chrue but the newer formulas of 77 have acetone that can melt the foam and there will be ridges to fill and makes a bit more work. I said it can be problematic... not impossible. Its just my preference.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman