HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:01 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Understand, worried about the heat messing up the canopy.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:46 PM
Mexia Izonfia
Monticello, MN
Joined Oct 2003
891 Posts
I tinted the canopy on the F22 I'm building using yellow Rit dye. I had to heat it to get the dye to take. I used a spare canopy to test the temp. That way I could be sure that the temp was not so hot that it would have ruined the canopy. I have also found that different batches of plastic take the dye differently - some plastics will tint darker than others.
MetroGTi is online now Find More Posts by MetroGTi
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:18 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,372 Posts
John are you telling me you wife doesnt want a yellow bathtub

Heres a nice how to on canopy tinting for everyone http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1733168 wit RIT
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:34 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,580 Posts
As a fellow modeller of some years now I have found that the first mistake I always make is telling the wife what I'm doing.
Now you can't fill the washing machine with dye & hot water while she is out shopping and get away with it.

Smokin' Beaver is online now Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:16 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,769 Posts
Thanks guys for the info.
Like I said, I did this years ago but couldn't remember the process. I looked all over the package and no where did it say to use hot water. Once I saw the video it all sort of came back to me. And of course my wife told me it needed hot water too. But what does my wife know about modeling? DUH.
I can try it "in house". I'll use my double burner from my vac forming system and heat it up, pour inside the canopy and see if I can get it tinted. I don't want to buy a container large enough to submerse this 21" long canopy.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:34 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Beaver View Post
As a fellow modeller of some years now I have found that the first mistake I always make is telling the wife what I'm doing.
Now you can't fill the washing machine with dye & hot water while she is out shopping and get away with it.

It's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:28 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2009
32 Posts
I remember using Gunze Sangyo model paints to smoke tint a F-16 plastic kit canopy. Came out pretty even. Not sure if you have access to them or the Mr Color brand of Japanese paints.
Tsunami33 is offline Find More Posts by Tsunami33
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:44 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,769 Posts
I could use the paints but would have to order them or find them in Nashville. Too much trouble. And I want a yellow tint, very light. I'll experiment with my test canopy and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll be happy with a clear one.

Shaped the missile rails this morning, glassed one side. Other side gets the treatment this afternoon. Sanded the missile bodies and gave them a filler coat of epoxy. Probably will need another one or two to get them smooth.
The missiles will be glued on to the rails an the rails attached with magnets. Will make transporting so much easier and possibly save the missiles from damage if it drags a wingtip landing. But of course Hans doesn't do that.

Notice the foam tips on the stab shafts. Now those stub shafts are a FG arrow that has been tapered to a sharp point. Do you really need to ask why the foam blocks are on them? What you should really ask is why it took me getting stuck three times and the associated bleeding and Bandaids before I stuck those on there.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:49 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,138 Posts
..hey, we were able to kick off a missile in a distance of 500 feet in the air with two planes.
HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:38 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,769 Posts
Yeah, I remember.
Hans and I were practicing formation flight with our two F-16 profile models. Thought we were doing really well and were about 500' away when we heard a click. We knew we were pretty close. As we came around and flew past ourselves we noticed that Hans' plane was missing a Sidewinder! Yep, we were flying pretty close formation!

Working on the detail on the vertical fin. Pics.....

OK, test # 1 on tinting.
I was concerned on the weight of the water( it holds about 3 quarts) so I made a stand to try to hold the shape of the canopy. Heated the dye on my little burner( ask to use the kitchen? No way, wasn't even going to go there).
So I used rubber cement to hold the canopy in place.
What a mess. I don't have much experience in the kitchen. Pouring out of a round bowl is pretty tough! After I spilled it all over I used a cup and dipped it out.
I heated the dye for about 45 min, never boiled but got really hot. Once I had it dipped in the canopy I noticed that it deformed one side. Let it sit 15 min and dipped it out.
The heat did deform the canopy a little. Also it made some dents where the canopy sat on the fanfold structure. Can't have that.
It did give a very slight tint so I'm doing it again and letting it sit for one hour to see how it does.
I don't have the plug so it's problematic to make a sand box mold to hole the canopy but I may try that anyway.
First we'll see if I get enough tint to make it worthwhile.
I can stand to lose a canopy and besides, Sparky now has them on his website for $15. That's my insurance.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:53 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
481 Posts
J if you need a cheep available tub get a garbage bag, card bored box and some duck tape and make one in about 5min if it melts the bag then your probably to hot anyway.
This also gives you good points with the wife when she asks what you are doing and explain this way i don't have to use the tub

Recommend checking for leaks and structure before putting die in

could try making a past with the die and buffing it in to don't no how that would work but may be worth a try
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Last edited by Pinky_d_brain; Feb 07, 2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:28 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
481 Posts
Sorry just keep thinking
But if you made that past with vinegar depending on the makeup of the die and spreed it on in an even layer and let sit. vinegar helps with the penetration like hot water but can be done cold so no warping. I keep thinking of dieing easter eggs. How many ways can you do that i don't no but its lots
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Last edited by Pinky_d_brain; Feb 07, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:35 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,769 Posts
I have test #2 sitting, will pull it in an hour and see what tint I have.

Good idea Pinky but i think what this really needs is being dipped in really the hot liquid for a few minute. It seems to cool very fast doing this way. But I've been thinking. I do have a turkey fryer I could get it plenty hot and keep it while I dipped the canopy. Hmmmm?
And I'm warning you guys. If I do that, I will do it in the shop without my wife's knowledge.
We really like fried turkey. If any of you tell, I will find out where you live and hunt you down!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:39 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
357 Posts
I love the cradle you fabbed for the canopy!!! Is there any thing you can't do? We won't ask your wife that question.
skyracer068 is offline Find More Posts by skyracer068
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:41 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
We really like fried turkey. If any of you tell, I will find out where you live and hunt you down!:
J
Hmmm.. Well tell ya what..I will let you buy my silance..say..a little stick time on the 16 in Vegas Otherwise an anonamous phone call to Mrs. Morgan may be in order....
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5