HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:17 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,094 Posts
BG J, she looks so sweet. The door holders are a cool idea!!
I'm impressed about the 6.75lbs.
HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Last edited by Hans-Joachim; Feb 04, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:44 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,328 Posts
egras,
There are slopes in TN but I live in a flatland area by choice so that's not an option

Thanks Dennis

Thanks Hans
Check this pic out and tell me your thoughts on the CG location. I'm pretty sure it's good. I measured the root chord of the 141% F-16 and it was 30% back from the LE. So I placed this one 30% back and the blue strip shows the proposed CG location.
I used one of my 4s-5000 XPS batts to try it. It had been put up since Vegas, placed on balanced storage charge. It is still in balance but has started puffing. So it's off for disposal. Hate that because the XPS batts have been great and they no longer stock them. I think this one is about 4 years old or so and always worked well. I guess everything has a lifespan. When they get like this I don't trust them in my shop.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:05 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,994 Posts
Nice John. Hans better start bulking up so he can toss it with one hand. It is so nice you should ship over here and I'll pull a mold off it. Better still. You do the mold?
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:42 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,328 Posts
I'm flattered Ace but this fuse isn't good enough for plug. Would require a lot more work that I want to use it. And I'm not sure it would be any lighter in glass.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:16 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,328 Posts
Still working on the bottom but just about done with it. I'm not going to great lengths since it's a belly lander. I do need to add the ventral fins yet.
Finally glued the vertical base on and the fillet is curing right now.
Also went through Squadron's F-16 Walkaround book( great book as all of Squadrons' are) and made a list of details that I'm planning on. The list fills a legal page so we have a ways to go.
Callie mailed decals a couple of days ago so we are good to go there.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:58 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
675 Posts
Looks great as always I like how smooth you get your finishes. What did you use to fill the weave, epoxy or poly? Greg
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:43 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,259 Posts
Fantastic as always J looking forward to your finish on this baby
and I'm sitting here wondering what could you be up to NEXT

What ever it is I'm sure it will just as spectacular as all of your past builds
and I'm also looking forward to learning more from that build as I have your others
since I found your threads,

Good luck with the rest of your build!

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:51 AM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,751 Posts
Quote:
Also went through Squadron's F-16 Walkaround book( great book as all of Squadrons' are) and made a list of details that I'm planning on. The list fills a legal page so we have a ways to go.
Hi John,
looking forward to you working on those details. I've got a Byron F-16 I've been working on. Got it as just a fuselage so everything else has been roll your own. I've been working on the vertical fin lately and it was kind of frustrating watching you blow thru not one, but two vertical fin builds while I'm still plodding along on mine. I got a job and a working rudder. That's the excuse I'm sticking with.

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:01 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2005
355 Posts
Looking great.
About the ventricle fins... I have a foamy EDF Freewing F-16 (love it). Those fins catch the ground when belly landing. So I reenforced them with fiberglass. Only to have them dig into soft ground and rip the back of the jet off. Just a heads up.

Also, what might look good is to make spring loaded doors to cover you hand launch grip. Doors you push in to grip and the spring back out to take the shape of the bottom of the fuse.
Just a thought.

Good luck.
Osprey Engineer is offline Find More Posts by Osprey Engineer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-37 Dragonfly
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:18 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,094 Posts
BG J, I like the spring loaded doors idea, too.
Great, that you give her the ventral fins!!

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:29 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
453 Posts
Looking Grate J

Bruce according to post #1 his next build will be a 83" ws F7F Tigercat built from Palmer Plans for Vegas

Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:18 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,328 Posts
Lt,
The glass was applied with epoxy on all but the bottom. Poly there. Then the weave was all filled with poly/baby powder mix. Coat, sand,coat, sand, coat, sand.....etc.

Thanks Bruce

Dan,
I guess the way I would do it iwith a rudder is a L shape wire( on the rudder linkage) that fits into a snug channel in the rudder. I almost went that way with a single aileron servo in the fuse. I'm sure you'll come up with a better way.

Osprey & Hans,
No rip-off here,The ventrals will be mounted on magnets and can fly off.
I had thought of doors on the hand hold but frankly was a little worried about the heave it will take to launch. Don't want anything in the way or distracting until we run our flight envelope including the hand launch testing. We can always go back and add them. Right now it is the KISS principle.

That's right Pinky,
Collecting all the parts as we speak for the T-Cat.

Took a break from the fuse and started building the AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles for the wingtips. Also going to use my test canopy and attempt to dye it with a yellow tint this afternoon. If it works well, I'll do a couple others.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:49 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,328 Posts
I couldn't remember how I tinted a canopy years ago with RIT dye so I got on You Tube and yep, it taKes hot water.
I tried cold anyway. My wife said it wouldn't work and of course she was right. I bought a plastic container, did it outside for safety( dye somehow escapes to get on anything and everything), let it sit for two hours while checking periodically. Finally pulled it, washed it out and PRESTO........... I had an extremely CLEAN & CLEAR canopy.
It took about 5 gal of water, two packs of RIT dye and nothing. No way am I getting a container to heat water to tint this thing. It takes a big container just to submerge it.
I thought about tinting Future Floor Wax with RIT dye but used both packs I bought. May try that later but not really high on my list.
One success though. I found it doesn't take much dye to color your fingers. Wonder how long I will have yellow hands?
I did roll the missile tubes. used a piece of 1/32" balsa, soaked in water/ammonia mix, Rolled around the wing tube and CA'ed the edge. When dry I sanded the outside seam and then the whole tube with 400 grit. Used 3/4 oz glass and epoxy on them. These AIM-120s are huge! 7" dia which equates to 1" for this scale. My tubes are under 1" a little but should pass muster. And they are 20" long!
Still need to make the missile hangars for the wingtips.

J
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by J Morgan; Feb 07, 2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:35 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
You could tint it with spray window tint if you dont mind a smoked canopy. Another option is the semi transparent airbrush paint that Micheals carries. Spray the inside of the canopy or use the rattle can or airbrush paints used to paint rc car bodies from the inside.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:58 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,328 Posts
Hey Bryan,
I saw those transparent paints on You Tube. I would rather dye it than paint if possible. The 16s had a golden hue tint on the canopies. I think the RIT yellow dye would due well if I can get it to take.
I'm thinking that if I build a base for the canopy to sit into upside down, heat the dye up and fill the canopy with it, it could work. So I may try that tomorrow on another old canopy I have laying around.

J
RCG Plus Member