HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:00 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,323 Posts
Thanks for posting that vid Cherokee. I don't watch too many vids that long but it was so good I was glued to it. Amazing footage of Red Flag.

Thanks Ace!
For you that don't know, Ace is changing a foam T-28 to a fully composite build. Doing incredible detail on it along the way. Full cockpit, etc. If you haven't already seen it, check it out here, it's buried way down the forum list in the Composite Fabrication Forum. I think he will be selling kits in the future. I'll have to have him bring me one to Vegas this year.
I met Ace at the Vegas event last year for the first time. Really nice guy and we had some great conversation kicking ideas back & forth. Ace is a great builder, flier, the whole package.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767143

hersch,
I'll be cutting hatches today and show how I'm doing it. Just a heads up.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by J Morgan; Feb 03, 2013 at 05:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:29 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,323 Posts
OK, here it is hersch. There are more ways to do it but this works for me in a foam body.
Trace the outline, radius the corners because a round corner closes better than a square one.
A #11 E-XACTO blade is sharp but not near as sharp as an old Gillette double edge blade snapped in half and cut with a pair of snips to an angle. I once cut a knuckle off with one of these. And who said this hobby wasn't dangerous.
It is also much thinner than a #11 blade. The #11 will tend to bend the edges down as you cut and that shows in the final fitting.
I use tape markers as I'm cutting as my eyes aren't that sharp anymore. Also use a straight edge and then cut the corners last freehand. It is VERY important that you cut at an angle, thereby ( big lawyer word) making the inside perimeter smaller than the outside. This doesn't allow the hatch to "overclose" and hopefully close flush every time.
I think the pics pretty well show the rest of it. In the final pics you will notice that the upper right corner is very slightly raised. I evidently cut the hinge on that side at a little angle and that's what causes it to pouch( not a lawyer term, redneck maybe) a little bit. But too late now, we all mistakes. Hopefully paint and finishing will not let your eye dwell on it.
Make sure you put the fingernail opening in before gluing the opposite magnets in otherwise you will find it hard to open and may damage the hatch by getting rough with it. Don't ask me how I know.
If you have any questions just post them up.
This hatch is for the wing hold down screw and aileron wire. Now I have to do another on the other side for the rec and aileron wire.

J
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:54 AM
Pompano Hill Flyer
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Apr 2003
412 Posts
That is really slick. Thanks for sharing.

Amos
egras14 is offline Find More Posts by egras14
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:15 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,323 Posts
Your most welcome Amos.
I have the second hatch done so I can start working on the power system now.
Not sure I'll finish it up before the wife and I have our annual two person Super Bowl Party.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:41 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,900 Posts
Hey I really appreciated the Gillette razor tip. Good one!

She's really taking shape now. Are you planning to tint the canopy at all?

tn
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:23 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,712 Posts
That curved hatch just looks awesome! I'd be tempted to cover the back side of the hatch with some glass, or maybe just some packing tape to keep from accidentally cracking the foam someday.

Pat
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:21 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,554 Posts
Tahanks, Tony.

My "Dyslexic" personality gets in the way sometimes.Great job finding my "tpyos".

Great site, great people.

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfing View Post
Dennis, I can't wait to hear John start 'singing' his name. Should be great.

Tony
Dmerino is offline Find More Posts by Dmerino
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:38 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,046 Posts
dennis, how is the f3D and fj1 coming along?
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:21 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,323 Posts
Thomas,
I should have put a disclaimer on that post to protect myself. Those double edge blades are less than half as thick and probably 3 or 4 times as sharp. They will slice you and dice you so you need to be careful. I've thought about taking some yellow RIT dye to the canopy but not sure I want to mess with it.

Pat,
The hatches are covered with two layers of 3/4 oz glass, I really don't see them cracking.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:23 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
John,

Thanks for the leason. You have the knack of making the very difficult look very simple. I know this is harder than you make it look. a few questions.....

Are you epoxy'ing the magnets in place or is it gorilla glue?

Hinge placement, Does it matter what site the hinges are on, top or front?

I want to thank you for this demo. You are the greatest because you share your knowledge.
hersch54 is offline Find More Posts by hersch54
Last edited by hersch54; Feb 04, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:55 AM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,661 Posts
Great tutorial there Sensei. I think I see an F-16 in there somewhere.
Are you bringing it to SEFF ??

Woody
W. X. Davis is offline Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:35 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,323 Posts
Hersch,
I doubt there is any difference in where you put the hinges. I like them at the top to get the door out of the way when I'm hooking everything up. Each time the wing goes on the aileron wires have to be hooked up and the wing retaining screw put in.
I had a weaker magnet setup at SEFF on the Skyray and one door popped open and she flew the whole time with the door up. Didn't affect it's flight at all but was irritating to me. I used stronger magnets on these and it takes a screwdriver or exacto blade used flat to open them. Probably overkill but they won't come open themselves..... EVER!
And I did use epoxy for the magnets.

Woody,
She will be at SEFF, that's the plan.

I have the power system and rec installed and working. Just have to adjust the ailerons, thought I had them centered but not so. Great thing is that it balances very close to my rough CG with just the 4s-5000 batt. I need to refine my CG and maybe let Hans double check it for sure. It still needs details and the cockpit/pilot but I still think I have enough batt movement that I can balance w/o any add'l weight. That's pretty sweet!
And I put it all together to check operation and then put it on the scales. 6.75 lbs so the target weight of 8 lbs should be pretty easy to achieve. That might be a first for me.
I do think it is hand launchable at this weight with 900 watts but would feel a lot more comfortable if I had a person launching it so the pilot can stay on the sticks. So I may just put a towhook on it to be safe. I have enough glass on the intake that it should take the strain.

I did put some "door holders" in so I'm not fighting them trying to close when I'm hooking up the wires and putting the wing screw in. Have a screw in the bottom of the yellow pushrod section so it will slide flat when the door closes.

At this point I'm estimating this build is about 60-70% done. Cockpit/pilot and other details, then painting will take some time.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:45 AM
Pompano Hill Flyer
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Apr 2003
412 Posts
Are you near any slopes? Instant altitude.
egras14 is offline Find More Posts by egras14
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:12 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,554 Posts
Hi, Nut. Good to hear from you. The Skynight is finished. But, I found I will need to do a little stiffing in the vertical stab. I've done a weathering on it. I'm just waiting for my buddy to call to go out to maiden. I'm at 4000 ft. elevation, so flying where I'm at in winter is a no-go. I have to drive 50 miles down to Sacramento valley to fly with my friend. I'm waiting!!!!!!!!

I also decided to do a quickie build of a Fokker DVII while waiting. It won't take as much time as FJ1 or Hun. Still undecided on which one to do.

How are you doing? You get the Talon back together? Working on anything else?

Dennis

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
dennis, how is the f3D and fj1 coming along?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:14 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,554 Posts
Oh My Golly, she is beautiful. Gorgeous work, John. You continue to get better and better in your builds. Thank you for everything you do for us.

Peace, brother.

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Hersch,
I doubt there is any difference in where you put the hinges. I like them at the top to get the door out of the way when I'm hooking everything up. Each time the wing goes on the aileron wires have to be hooked up and the wing retaining screw put in.
I had a weaker magnet setup at SEFF on the Skyray and one door popped open and she flew the whole time with the door up. Didn't affect it's flight at all but was irritating to me. I used stronger magnets on these and it takes a screwdriver or exacto blade used flat to open them. Probably overkill but they won't come open themselves..... EVER!
And I did use epoxy for the magnets.

Woody,
She will be at SEFF, that's the plan.

I have the power system and rec installed and working. Just have to adjust the ailerons, thought I had them centered but not so. Great thing is that it balances very close to my rough CG with just the 4s-5000 batt. I need to refine my CG and maybe let Hans double check it for sure. It still needs details and the cockpit/pilot but I still think I have enough batt movement that I can balance w/o any add'l weight. That's pretty sweet!
And I put it all together to check operation and then put it on the scales. 6.75 lbs so the target weight of 8 lbs should be pretty easy to achieve. That might be a first for me.
I do think it is hand launchable at this weight with 900 watts but would feel a lot more comfortable if I had a person launching it so the pilot can stay on the sticks. So I may just put a towhook on it to be safe. I have enough glass on the intake that it should take the strain.

I did put some "door holders" in so I'm not fighting them trying to close when I'm hooking up the wires and putting the wing screw in. Have a screw in the bottom of the yellow pushrod section so it will slide flat when the door closes.

At this point I'm estimating this build is about 60-70% done. Cockpit/pilot and other details, then painting will take some time.

J