SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:50 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,319 Posts
Hersch,
As challenged electrically as I am, if I can do it I'm sure you can.

I sanded the nose cone this morning using the air cleaner running. You can see the results. I think this will work out well.

Dry sanded all the glassed parts except the top fuse ( again using the air cleaner) and then gave them all a thinned epoxy weave filler coat. Hope I can turn them over and do the other sides this afternoon and tomorrow they will be ready to wet sand. Then a primer coat to check the finish.
Also glassed those rear sides on the fuse. Don't want the balsa grain showing through.

I did weigh the fuse. It has the elev servo installed and weighs exactly 2 lbs. 84" long and 2 lbs...... not bad.I think the weight is looking good so far.
After sanding the nose cone I gave it a single layer of 3/4 oz cloth with poly. This will be my barrier for the plaster mold. I'll be making the plaster mold of it this afternoon.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:27 PM
One eyed Corsair
PARIS
Joined Jul 2005
2,314 Posts
Wow ! That one is huge John ! I think i've the solution to your transport problem... Now you can go to Vegas with your fleet !
GGRN is offline Find More Posts by GGRN
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:39 PM
Microbiology at it's best.
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
250 Posts
cutter questions

Hey there J,

What type and length of wire are you using to make your cuts. I have some aircraft safety wire in 2 gauges, 0.031 & 0.062 inch but may go with guitar strings since it is nice and straight.

Thanks, Terry
beerbrewer is offline Find More Posts by beerbrewer
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:54 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGRN View Post
Wow ! That one is huge John ! I think i've the solution to your transport problem... Now you can go to Vegas with your fleet !
Gramps doesn't like EDF's.

Awesome build. HJ is a lucky man!!!
skyracer068 is offline Find More Posts by skyracer068
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:15 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
Cutter

Well thanks to John and Mark for the help on my Cutter problem. My son had the last few things I needed to complete it. I wired it in a few minutes and I am glad to say when I plugged it in and turned it on It started to hum and I touched the foam and it started to cut so smooth. Check on more item off the list of projects. Now I will start work on completing my vacum former.

Thanks for the help.
hersch54 is offline Find More Posts by hersch54
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:38 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,385 Posts
Glad I could help out even in a small way. I know I sure like mine. I have some cores to cut, so I hope I don't mess up too bad. It's been awhile since I have cut any.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:47 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyracer068 View Post

Yes Daryl, I am !!

BG J, she looks perfect in her dress and your plaster mold idea is great!!

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:01 PM
One eyed Corsair
PARIS
Joined Jul 2005
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyracer068 View Post

Ah... Forgot about that ! This one will do the job :
GGRN is offline Find More Posts by GGRN
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:03 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,319 Posts
Yeah Philippe,
A Beluga would make my transportation problems go away!

Terry,
I'm using .014 fishing lead.

You've got that right Daryl, no EDFs for this guy.

Glad it worked out for you Hersch.

Thanks Hans!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:43 PM
Microbiology at it's best.
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
250 Posts
Thank you John,

Cabela's just up the road has it in stock. A quarter pound spool of the .016 has 362.5 feet, a life time supply. They do not say how long the .014 would be. Thanks again.
beerbrewer is offline Find More Posts by beerbrewer
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:28 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,771 Posts
so J this air cleaner is it just sitting on a bench and to work in from of it or what ?? it catches all the dust?
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:48 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
John,, looks like it is picking up some, try it there, then when you get a chance, hang it, I think you'll find it will pick up MUCH more hanging... ,, I know I know, it would take up more hanger room hanging,, but it will be worth it.. w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:49 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Oh yeah!!! That is gona be a BIG F16! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:35 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,319 Posts
No problem BB

AS,
It can be mounted under a bench( hanging from L brackets) , sitting on a bench top, or hanging from the ceiling. I have two work benches( both are usually covered with crap) and usually sit between them. So I moved stuff off a lower shelf on one bench and put the air cleaner there. I do a lot of sanding there because my chair is there and I have "hook disease". Hook disease being that everytime my ass passes a flat place , it hooks on to it.
So having the cleaner there at the source is going to catch a whole lot of what I am producing. I'm actually sitting there with it in front and to my right a little. And yes, it catches a lot!

Walt,
If you think back you'll remember that my heat pump blows out at ceiling level at the north end of the shop all the way to the south end. If I hung that cleaner it would be in that draft all the time. I think having it where it is has to be better. Otherwise the air cleaner would suck dust up toward it and if the heat pump is running it would scatter it everywhere. That's my scientific theory at least.

I did get the nose cone laid up today, brought it in the house to let it cure overnight. I turn the heat off in the shop at night. Pics tomorrow.
Epoxy didn't cure enough on the other parts to give the other sides a filler coat. I'll do that tomorrow.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:00 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,319 Posts
We have a nose cone. I think the shape came out pretty good. The plug was glassed with 3/4 oz cloth/poly then lightly sanded.This will be the barrier to allow a clean mold. A couple of coats of wax and it was ready for plaster. Then I covered the plug with plaster. Took three times because I mixed the plaster thick so it wouldn't run. This resulted in some voids but it's really hard to do it this way without them.
Once the plaster was dry, about 30 min, I used lacquer thinner to melt the foam out. This allowed me to simply peel the glass barrier out leaving a completely clean mold. there were voids that needed filling. I did this with spackle, let dry, and then sanded smooth.
I gave the mold 3 coats of wax and then brushed on a coat of PVA. I turned the mold on it's large base to dry so the excess PVA wouldn't run down and fill the little nose section. Once dry it was ready for glass.
The first layer was 3/4 oz cloth( because of it's small weave) followed by two layers of 3 oz. Then I wrapped the top of the cone with strips of 3 oz to reinforce the perimeter.
Took it in the house overnight and then this morning trimmed the excess glass and trimmed it close. Then flat sanded it on the bench. Once that was done I traced the nose bulkhead from the fuse front and made a 1/4" balsa bulkhead. Glued it in to strengthen the top and it will make sure the cone retains it's shape once the plaster is removed. Wasn't a great fit but it will do the job and I'll fill the areas that don't touch later.
Now it was time to take off the plaster. used my "high tech plaster removing tool" and it came off easily.
Taped on to check the fit and here we are. It will need some cleaning up and then ready for primer.
Pics show the way I did it.

J

PS. WOW!!!!!!! Just watched Otto Deffenback fly his Superman on Fox & Friends!!!! had a bout a 5 min run on the show( that's a long time for them!) and Otto flew it most of the time. I'll wager there will be a huge run on kits of it now, lots of people watching! Congrats to him!!!
RCG Plus Member