SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:36 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,768 Posts
Still working or getting the top of the fuse ready for glass. Had to move to the rear and finish it. Hard to see from the pic but I glassed that "cross" in the rear with 3 oz glass/epoxy. This will stiffen it for the motor mount. I'll sand the fanfold down flush to the balsa circle. I also need to address the openings in each side, pics show them.

Finally, I got a new toy. Have needed it for a long time, way overdo. My buddy Walt in FL turned me on to it. Ordered from Amazon.com Monday morning, 61 lbs, remote controlled, with FREE shipping. It came in at 2:30PM TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great company.
Checked it out, seems to work very well and I'm sure it will help this toxic foam dust factory I call a shop. Just need to decide where to hang it now.

Back to work.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:34 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,777 Posts
Hi John,
I'm very impressed by your new toy.

Never seen so much clear space on one of your workbenches before....

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:22 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatond View Post
Hi John,
I'm very impressed by your new toy.

Never seen so much clear space on one of your workbenches before....

Dan Eaton
Man, you've got that right. Took ten minutes to clear a place.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:03 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
771 Posts
Looks awesome J... Love watching the Big16 take shape---- Back to the off topic banter: I have the EcoBoosted Flex as well. Even considered entering it into the Hillman MI 1/8th mile street drags last summer....... Pulls like crazy.
DesignGeek is offline Find More Posts by DesignGeek
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:20 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,768 Posts
I'm old school, 5.4L
I will say this 150 Lariat Super Crew Cab is an awesome machine. They have shortened the bed 1 inch and made the back setting area HUGE. The back seats fold up vertical and it looks like a cargo van back there! Lots of little neat gadgets and handy items have been installed. I really like it. But of course my old one was 2007.
Only bad thing is the AC-119K middle section fit in the old truck bed with about 1" clearance. I need to check and see if it will fit this truck. May have to make some ramps to get the middle section inclined to fit.
Enough truck stuff ........

I got the open areas in the rear covered and finally started glassing. Wings, ailerons, fin base, fin, stabs. Hope to get the fuse top glassed tomorrow.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:16 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Glad you got your new toy John, I'm sure you'll really like it! Planes is comin along, what weight glass are you using on this one? W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:01 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,271 Posts
that new toy will be plugged up with foam in short order
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:31 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,768 Posts
Thanks for the help in selecting it Walt.

You've got that right Roger!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:24 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
Hatches

John,

I seem to have trouble figuring out how to make hatches for access to the electronix and batteries. They never look right. could you do a little toutorial when you get ready to making your hatches for the BIG 16. I am sure it will help me.
hersch54 is offline Find More Posts by hersch54
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:50 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,768 Posts
Sure Hersch. Not sure mine is the best way but it works for me. I'll need a hatch on each side for the wing hold down screws and rec.
And I included a pic of my power supply for the hot wire bows. I built this off plans in the foamie section. Pretty easy build and it has been working great for 10 years or more. The thread it was in should either be in Foamies Scratchbuilt or Foamie Kits and it's an old one. After the big RC Groups meltdown years ago some of the threads got scattered in the wrong forums. I know some of my scratchbuilds were put back in Foamie Kits and I got I don't know how many PMs asking which kit I built them from.

Made a place under the other work bench for the air cleaner. I do a lot of sanding right here so I'll see how it does.
I glassed the other sides of the wings, ailerons, vertical fin, fin base, and the stabs. Trimmed them out and they are ready for sanding and filler coat,
Worked on getting the top fuse ready for glass and finally got it done.
But before that I decided it was time to shape the nose cone plug. I learned a long time ago with these pushers that if you leave the nose as foam, then you'll get real good at repairing them. This one will be glass of course.
Pics pretty well show the progress.

J

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:35 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,768 Posts
Hersch,
You have help coming in your PM box and here is another schematic that is close to mine. Simple and cheap to set up.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...amcutterps.htm

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:41 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Hummmmm get that baby out and hang it from the Celing......
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:43 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Hersch,
You have help coming in your PM box and here is another schematic that is close to mine. Simple and cheap to set up.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...amcutterps.htm

J
Same schematic I used. Anyone can build that PS.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:32 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,768 Posts
Walt,
Using 3/4 oz glass on it. Making weight a factor on this one.

I'm going to try the cleaner under the bench first and then may hang it later. Want it close to where I am working , Figure it will do the best job there. Plus easy to change filters. I think that outside filter is going to get a workout.

I know my PS for the hot wire bow doesn't look like much but it's fully adjustable and absolutely trouble free.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:43 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
Thanks for the PS info. I had stopped by RS to pick up some parts and I have it almost ready to work. I got a switch with a red and green light but looking at the schematic I was noit sure how to wire it. but from the diagram you provided I think I can figure it out.

Thanks.
hersch54 is offline Find More Posts by hersch54