HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:43 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,280 Posts
that begs for tail dragger gear ...cut your grass super short and your in golden ...you can shoot T&G's for all day long
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:47 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,573 Posts
I would have done the same thing. As I recall, the Telemaster is a good flying plane.. Should do well with e-power. On your field it probably would do better with conventional gear. I like a trike on pavement but on a rough field conventional performs better. In the picture, it looks like a really well built and covered plane.

Tony
TPfingston is online now Find More Posts by TPfingston
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:10 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,789 Posts
I'm pretty set on a tail dragger with it. It will do well at my grass field. It is built stout, I set the fuse down on the nose and it fell over on my concrete floor landing on the stab. No damage! So much for the strength tests.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:42 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Put some big tires on it and you'll be set to go, I agree tail dragger for your patch,,, those are real FLOATERS John so you won't need tons of power.. W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:11 AM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
1,000 Posts
they just beg for a 4 stroke.

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:12 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Flyer View Post
they just beg for a 4 stroke.

L.
You've got to be kidding. I no longer use Windex to clean the crap off my planes, I use it to thin the non fuel proof paint I use.

Anyway, setting up the stabs today. I almost forgot to balance them. Use lead weights glued in the forward part. This will really help the servo with the forces on those large stabs. Elev uses a HS-425 with about 45 oz torque so it needs this done.
I had to taper the end of the FG arrow shaft so I can glue the stab on a slight angle to get some anhedral. It isn't close to the full scale 10 degrees but just gives that hint of anhedral. Was too worried about strength to go any further.

Have the canopy plug's final coat of epoxy on and curing. Then it will get wet sanded with 220, 400, polishing compound and finally wet sanded with 600 grit. Hope that makes it good enough. I doubt if I get it off to Sparky tomorrow, more likely Tuesday.

Now it's back to sanding on the fuse.

I will take a break from it this afternoon to get the AC-119K middle section outside so I can give it a protective coat. After weeks of waiting, we have a nice day. Then it will be officially finished.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:10 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,852 Posts
cool! tail dragger for sure!!! ive never even seen a trike telemaster!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:42 PM
Pompano Hill Flyer
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Apr 2003
412 Posts
J,
You could strengthen the shaft by putting some carbon fiber "cloth" inside the shaft then fill it with epoxy let it wet out,then stand it on end to let the excess drain.The weight gain for both should be less than a gram.

Amos
egras14 is offline Find More Posts by egras14
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:49 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,789 Posts
I'm not really worried about the strength of the rod itself, just the glue joint on the depron stabs. I've done a bunch like this and never had a failure but still it's something that is always in the back of my mind.

Yep, I'll be converting the Telly to a taildragger. It's the first trike Telly I've seen too.

What I'm doing now isn't very glamourous and I don't have much to show. The canopy plug is almost done. I continue working on the fuse top. I want to glass it before I turn it over to work on the bottom. If I don't I can just see me denting up all that work I've done to the top.
Wings and ailerons are almost ready for glass too. So are the stabs. I will be laying glass very soon.
Vertical base is almost at it's final shape and needs spackled before glass. The vertical itself is ready to glass. So we're moving along pretty well.
Soon I will be weighing it all to estimate final AUW( which I almost always miss on the light side).

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:38 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,297 Posts
John,

Looking great, are you using servo's in the wing for ailerons or are you using torque rods?

Cheers
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:07 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,789 Posts
deuce,
I'm using servos in the wing. I thought about using torque tubes where you have a 90 degree bend and it slips into a channel in the aileron decided not to. Using 9 g servos on each aileron.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:56 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,789 Posts
Won''t get much done today. Have a doc appt and then going shopping for rocks! Building a new big fire pit and need some flagstone for it.
Hey, you do what you have to do, right?
Tomorrow I start glassing the wings and stabs and shipping the canopy plug off to Mr. Magician(Sparky), plus continuing the work on the fuse top.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:33 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,789 Posts
Still working on getting some of it ready for glassing. Found a few places that still need work. Meanwhile I have the balsa cap on the nose section and finished the rear up to the motor mount area. I'll be working on getting the ply for the mount on and strengthening that rear area for the motor/prop loads.
I did get the canopy plug off to Sparky today so we will have a canopy soon.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:46 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
939 Posts
J, I have been out of town over the last weekend and just caught up on your progress. Man, do you get any sleep, wow so much done so fast. Wish I could have seen your post on the flying stab sooner. Here's a link to my A6 Intruder thread in the EDF forum and how I do flying stabs.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...692750&page=16

You might want to look at it and see if it helps with your concerns about the glue joint around the depron. Look at Post #227. It has the pictures on how I do a flying stab. I think what I have done distributes/reduces the stress/load across more than just the glue joint on the spar. Not suggesting yours isn't the way to go, but wondering if this would be another solution for future builds. I haven't had one fail using this method.

Anyway, the build is looking great!

Mike
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:50 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,789 Posts
Thanks Mike,
I wish I felt like I had a lot done. All the little things I keep finding are slowing me down it seems. Yep, that looks like it would work well. I may throw a ply piece on each side like that just for piece of mind. I already have the servo installed and the control arm inside the fuse. It's all ready to go except for gluing on the stabs. I won't glue them on until the very last moment before paint. That's because I am so clumsy and don't trust myself to not rip them off just handling the fuse and banging into things.

J
RCG Plus Member